It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

could a sniper kill at 1 km?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Depends on type and caliber of ammo, and the point of the hit.

A good sniper with the proper rifle WILL kill him. With a little( well maybe more than a little) luck I could make a one Klik head shot back in the day and the equipment is a thousand times better today

So YES

[Edited on 5-1-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer
Don't have a link right now... find one later (if no one else does)... but check out this EXCELLENT sniper rifle...

the Barret 50 caliber recoiless. I don't know what current prices are, but back in the late 80's it cost roughly $1500. Came with 11 round magazine and bi-pod. Scope extra.

But seriously, I would think that this is probably one of the most effective sniping rifles around, it has an excellent range capacity. The only problem is that a 50 caliber is pretty easy to locate when fired...

I would also recommend the Soviet rifle, umm Dragnov?

prices are no good, i live in the UK!

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I think it all depends on the skill of the sniper. The only sniper-like rifle I've played with is a German Mauser (I think it's an 8mm, or something like that.) It has sights for 2000 meters, I know for a fact that they are accurate at 600 meters. If a sniper could get a clean body or head shot at 1000 meters, it's going to depend a lot on the integrity of the body armor. If the snipee is not wearing any armor at all, I'd say they're dead.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
would a .50 cal bullet from a M82, get thru class IV body armour???

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by cleggy

Why ? You have a M82 and someone that you hate has a class IV BA ?

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by cleggy

Yes, look at it this way, the intended user of the m82 series of guns isint for human targets, but for light armored vehicles, so if the bullet is designed for that purpose, than no ammount of human body armor is going to stop the round.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
You can (if you have the skills) hit someone at that distance, even the old B.A.R would do that. The problem is hitting your target and that is why most or no shooters don't take targets at such a long distance. But I think with good wind and from a nice nest you could place steel on target from that distance. You would need some big bore and a very good rifle.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
no ammount of human body armor is going to stop the round.

With certain kinds of ceramic plates body armor would surely stop 12,7mm ammo.

Never say never..

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Sorry duhhhh
I forgot the part with the body armor. That I don't know and is hard to tell.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDarkFlame
and a very good rifle

Bold action rifle.

Semi automatic Barret M82 is too inaccurate to hit target with great certainty.

(also the bullet destabilizes and is not accurate at extended ranges..)

At ranges greater than 1500m (about 1 mile..) and also the bullet doesnt really fly much more than 2000m.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Depends on type and caliber of ammo, and the point of the hit.

A good sniper with the proper rifle WILL kill him. With a little( well maybe more than a little) luck I could make a one Klik head shot back in the day and the equipment is a thousand times better today

So YES

but only in training .

[Edited on 5-1-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FULCRUM

Originally posted by alternateheaven
no ammount of human body armor is going to stop the round.

With certain kinds of ceramic plates body armor would surely stop 12,7mm ammo.

Never say never..

but the blunt trauma would liquify him

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   

and a very good rifle

Bold action rifle.

(also the bullet destabilizes and is not accurate at extended ranges..)

At ranges greater than 1500m (about 1 mile..) and also the bullet doesnt really fly much more than 2000m.

There is MATCH GRADE 12.7mm ammo and it is leathal to 5000m (only really accurate to 3000m)

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   

and a very good rifle

Bold action rifle.

This is true but much more decisive on the second shot on a target.
A Sierra 175-grain hollow point boat tailed match bullet (not that most of you would know what most of this means) powder or atleast that is what I recal a good shot I know uses for his rifle (sorry cant tell you ho) and hes a real fan of such stuff. He once told me it was preaty good if you wanted a good hit of a A.P. sniper rife. I'm just an aprentice in this trait and realy only do it for fun as not for sport so I don't charge my own shots.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Besides the U.S. Military Sniper Rifle is I think the M-24 SWS and though not bad it isnt the best.
Remember its the man not the machine so even with a semy-automatic you could probably hit someone at a very long range.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that body armor won't stop a direct AK round at close range.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
just asking when is a sniper going to get a chance to shoot at a target at 1 mile not unless hes standing straight at atention

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
well if its about a mile away the guy isnt exactly gonna know there is a high powered rifle pointing at him!

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
I'm pretty sure that body armor won't stop a direct AK round at close range.

According to this it can stop an AK round, provided you have Level III or better armor. The problem with this is that even if the bullet is stopped, the blunt trauma can still cause injuries, even death. Of course if your going to shoot someone point-plank with any gun, why bother to shoot them in the body, it would just make more sense to put a bullet between the eyes and be 100% sure they are dead.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Yes. At 1000 meters a head or top center mass shot would be fairly easy. Body armour would quite possibly be noted in the scope and this would influence the placement of the round.

To add data to something mentioned earlier in this thread: It is my understanding that the 1800 meter shot( 50 cal.) that was mentioned above was made by a member of Canada's JTF-2 seconded to an American unit to provide sniping overwatch. When they American commander asked the Canadian if all his men could shoot like that he lied his ass off and said yes. That's shooting!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join