It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

could a sniper kill at 1 km?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nans DESMICHELS
In the jungle of vietnam, where did this guy find an range of 2000+.
Not all of the Vietnam war was fought in jungles. Their coastline is virtually all vast rice paddies...

And yes, it is entirely possible to hit a man with a .50 at 2000m. Luck may play a part, but I'd rather call it a lack of chance, because chance only works against you in precision shooting.

DC

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nans DESMICHELS

Originally posted by Kozzy
Longest confirmed kill was by a Canadian soldier with a .50 sniper rifle in Afghanistan. It was about 2.1km I believe.

By accident ?

No, he was onto of a mountain and saw some guy in a valley with his binoculers. He took a shot.

It'd really suck to be that terrorist, just be walking along and have your chest explode suddenly.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Yes. You can acquire and hit a target beyond 1km with the right weapon.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
yeah like the British No.4 Mk1(T)
gets more acurate the further out u get
its weird like

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
There have been a few mentions of the AK-47 in this thread. If I remember correctly, the official "accurate shooting" range of this weapon is 800m, and the lethal range is more like 1200m. At this point there won't be enough energy in the round to penetrate body armor. I believe the users of the AK-47-derived sniper rifles tend to go for the headshot, for that reason, or if they can, for the neck shot, to clear both the vest and the ballistic helmet.

I can't tell for 800m, but from my experience shooting the AK-47 at 400m is not difficult at all, in terms of accuracy.

posted on May, 3 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The AK-47's effective range is 200m for most shooters. You gotta be pretty freakin talented to hit a guy at 800m

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
AK-47 is not an accurate weapon.

Point of fact, the M40A1 can reach beyond 1km effectively.

Point of fact, the M1 Garand can reach beyond 1km effectively.

I've used both. M40 is standard issue for STA. M1 is for Rifle team and competitive events. And yes, the Barrett can go beyond 2000m

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I would say yes it is very possible and yes even with body armor!!

The Barrett M82A1A (SASR) Sniper riffle firing the MK 211 Mod 0 Raufoss would kill anything at that distance.

The Raufoss round I believe has a maximum range of about 7400 meters and travels at a speed of something like 3090 FPS and has a tungston carbide projectile that ejects of the casing on impact and travels at around 4000 FPS. It is an armored piercing, incediary round.
and I think it would do the trick with a good shooter!!

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by cleggy
me and a m8, somehow ended up having this discussion today

if someone was wearing body armour and was shot at with a sniper rifle at a range of about 1000m - 1600m, would it kill them?

when we said sniper rifles we meant a PSG1/M24.

i argued that it probably wouldnt as some body armour can stop AK47 rounds at close range, and that even if a very powerful sniper was used (M82 etc...) at such distances the velocity would be decrease enough to not pierce the body armour?

as people in here have fired weapons and some have been in the army, maybe you could settle the discussion.

Some Marine RECON forces have a .223 Cal with a 4 --16 X 80 mm apo Russian optics scope that fires a depleted uranium round not much larger than a .25. Seems to me if it will shoot through the side of a APC. It will certainly go through anything currently made for personal body armor.

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Killing shot made at distance of 2,430 metres
Stephen Thorne
Canadian Press
A world-record killing shot by a Canadian sniper detachment in Afghanistan could never have been made with the ammunition they were issued when they left Edmonton last winter, the triggerman said in a recent interview. The Canadian .50-calibre rounds have a maximum range of between 2,200 and 2,300 metres.

But the U.S. rounds, they discovered, "fly farther, faster," said Cpl. "Bill", a 26-year-old native of Fogo Island, Nfld.

The two-man Canadian team, coupled with American Sgt. Zevon Durham of Greenville, S.C., made the kill from 2,430 metres, or nearly 2 1/2 kilometres, on the second shot.

The first shot blew a bag from the hand of their target, an Al Qaeda fighter walking on a road.

"He didn't even flinch," said Bill, who spoke on condition that his real name not be used.

"We made a correction and the next round hit exactly where we wanted it to. Well, a bit to the right."

The kill, one of more than 20 unofficially accredited to Canadian snipers during Operation Anaconda in Afghanistan's Shah-i-Kot Valley, beat the 35-year-old record of 2,500 yards, or 2,250 metres, set by U.S. Marine Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock in Duc Pho, South Vietnam.

Im still not sure if this has been confirmed

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
well a civilian 30-06 can shoot well over a mile which is more than a kilometer. so with something like a PSG-1 or better with a nice scope and some armor piercing bullets could well be lethal.

E_T

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
...could never have been made with the ammunition they were issued when they left Edmonton last winter, the triggerman said in a recent interview. The Canadian .50-calibre rounds have a maximum range of between 2,200 and 2,300 metres.

But the U.S. rounds, they discovered, "fly farther, faster," said Cpl. "Bill", a 26-year-old native of Fogo Island, Nfld.

I would like to know what different ammunitions they use.

This says Barrett can't use SLAP, so what might this ammunition be.
www.atwar.net...
The long effective range along with high energy and availability of highly effective ammunition such as API and Raufoss M213 allows for effective operations against targets like radar cabins, trucks, parked aircrafts and so on. M82 also can be used to defeat enemy snipers or criminals from standoff range or when targets are behind the cover.
M82A1 can fire all types of caliber .50 BMG ammunition, with the exception of the M903 SLAP
www.globalsecurity.org...

But Google doesn't find anything about M213 ammunition, neither these mentions it:
www.biggerhammer.net...
www.nammo.com...

BTW, SLAP would be good for long range sniping because SLAP is like these long rod subcaliber KE rounds used by tanks and has very high speed/flat trajectory and good aerodynamics... and penetration of 3/4" High Hard Armor at 1500 m.
www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Dident read through the whole post so if this was said please excause me.
Old story i read once about the civil war .One guy on one side wanted to kill the general on the other side so watched his movments ever day for weeks learning his habets and finly in the early morning from more the a mile away shot the man dead so the story goes.Of corse the guy wasent waring body armer wasent invented yet lol.but still try immanging a kill at over a mile with a rifel .

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I�m not sure I believe that story you posted above, they killed a man more than a mile away. Using a Civil War rifle with no sight cuz it didn't exist yet it sounds like old war bunk to me.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Im an ex British Army sniper myself and have plenty of experience in this subject. It is what is generally known in the British Armed forces as a
"K Kill" and yes it is very very possible providing you have the right equipment. Obviously a high velocity round preferbly 7.62 and low windage
and you could probably hit a wasp off a cows arse. Most armour jackets are not bullet proof as you see in "Hollywood" but are more for flak and the like. Their just meant to keep your guts in until you get to hospital. I think if i remember correctly there being a 50 calibre sniper rifle called the Robar. The weopon is about 5 foot long and can fire armour piercing rounds thats the kinda machine you need if you wanna cause terror from over a K away.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I seriously recommend reading Stephen Hunter's 'Point of Impact', an excellent novel about sniping!

www.amazon.... com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553563513/qid=1091475077/sr=1-8/ref=sr_1_8/002-2508812-5871264?v=glance&s=books

[edit on 2-8-2004 by Olafski]

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
The longest range sniper kill was 2500m with a .50 Barrett by a Canadian sniper in Afghanistan.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by E_T
I would like to know what different ammunitions they use.

Are you talking about what ammo the US uses or what Canada uses?

Heres a good marine video that shows the types of rounds the US uses for the 50cal. rifle

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

E_T

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Heres a good marine video that shows the types of rounds the US uses for the 50cal. rifle
www.abovetopsecret.com...

If that's video where they first "introduce the gun and ammunition" and then go to shooting range I've seen that long ago.

But here's literally answer for thread's topic... and without those "big, heavy cannons":
.338 Lapua Magnum
www.snipercentral.com...:
The .338 is fairly new to the sniper community, but it does bear the distinction as being the first and only caliber designed specifically for sniping. While this round was actually developed back in 1983, it wasn't until the last few years that it has gained in popularity. The caliber was designed to arrive at 1000 meters with enough energy to penetrate 5 layers of military body armor and still make the kill. The effective range of this caliber is about 1 mile (1600meters) and in the right shooting conditions, it could come very close to the 2000 meter mark, provided you have the right rifle/ammo/optics/shooter/spotter combination. Realistically, 1200 meters is well within the average sniper. This caliber is designed primarily as a military extreme range anti-personnel round, there really is no Law Enforcement applications, unless you need a super penetrating round for either armored vehicles, or for barricaded suspects.
www.nammo.com...

And just one usefull(/less) fact more, Lapua ammunition is made in Finland.

posted on Aug, 3 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
has done it more than once. One record I know of is taking out the iraqi driver of a jeep with a Barret 50 Cal from 2 miles by a US Marine Scout Sniper.

2 MILES?! thats COMPLETE crap!! thats 3200 metres!!!

Anyway, most snipers have to be able to hit a target at 1km or they cant snipe. but to hit at a mile is only a thing that very skilled snipers can do.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join