It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dean Kissing up to Christians now?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Yeah it was bound to happen. Makes me think of the anti-christ seducing a virgin or sumpin like that. Well when you are desparate for power you gotta do what you gotta do...

Read all about it here:

www.nytimes.com...
So do you think Dean gives a damn about Christians? or is he just trolling for votes? What kind of strategy is this, cheap opportunism or misplaced feelings?

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
You wouldn't believe how pissed I get when I see things like this. I hate it when people use religeon in any way, shape, or form in politics. I mean, can we get an intelligent person who isn't white or protestant(sp?), the last one we had was shot in the head while driving through Dallas. I don't mean we should vote for someone just because they are of a different sex, race, or religeon. I mean we need a good candidate that is of a different sex, race, or religion. It would be a step away from narrowmindedness in American society.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
But that's the modern monkey on every politicians back.

I recall seeing the opening of the first Fox hosted Democratic Debate. They had graphics beside a screen shot of each candidate being introduced...

Family: Wife, Son and Daughter
Religion: Christian

They went through each candidate: Christian, Christian, Christian...then got to Liebermann...

JEW I wanted to puke seeing that like it was even an issue. It seemed so contrived...like it wouldn't have even been part of the introduction if Liebermann wasn't a candidate.

But old Joe has to play the game too. His ONE GOD references are frequent, but then he has the most to overcome in this faux War on Christians environment.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Rant, I totally agree. I guess separation of church and state is only something that matters outside of elected officials.
I am Christian and I hate it. Should it matter? Hell no. In fact, I am sick of Bush smearing prayer and holy talk mixed with patriotic WWII type retoric.

Makes you think that it is all just a nice glazing to show us (the public), that if he is religious and pro-america, then he can do no wrong, won't lie, and is acting in the best interest of all of us nice down home christian types.

THAT IS NOT AMERICA. The idea of America was religious freedom, not Christian freedom. And this was surely not ever a christian nation, nor should it ever be.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I don't care what anyone says, I like Lieberman. He seems like a level-headed moderate candidate. I would not be opposed to seeing him win the democratic ticket.(though I doubt it would happen) Of all the dems, I favor him the most. Who cares if he's Jewish?

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Man, Dean makes me sick. He's such a snake in the grass! He invites David Cross to one of his political campaigns to "warm the crowd."

Either none of his aides did any research into Cross, in which case, why would we want someone so unprepared, or they set him up. He was talking to a largely black audience, and David Cross's "thing" is to be offensive, racist, and anti-religious. I've never heard him do standup where he wasn't.

So David Cross goes up and does his thing, and Dean comes out, saying how sorry he is for that vulgar presentation, and goes into a speach on why racism is bad, apparently off the cuff. I don't buy it. However, Colonel did, and posted a thread on it here talking about how Dean is the man for that. Sigh...

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
No one ever said that Democrats weren't as good at the Bull # game as Republicans.

I don't trust most of politicians PERIOD.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Yeah it was bound to happen. Makes me think of the anti-christ seducing a virgin or sumpin like that. Well when you are desparate for power you gotta do what you gotta do...

oh I am sorry you throw me for a minute when you talked about the anti-christ, thought you were talking about Bush

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Talking about bush? I don't get it, who came up with the bright idea that Bush is the anti-christ? Who the # said religeon was not only allowed in politics, it was used as a tool to keep the many 'anti-christs' out of office. What the #? Wake up and smell your ignorance.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
And furthermore...

I thought America was about equality. Are you going to hate someone because you believe them to be the 'anit-christ'? That's affiliated with satanism, right? Satanists are evil, right? They promote greed, lust, arrogance, and ignorance, which has no place in America, right?

Money isn't important to Americans! All Americans pay attention to current events and are well informed! There's no such thing as an arrogant American! American's don't even like to have sex, they're only forced to so they can procreate! Besides, it's such a dirty, evil-like act, no one enjoys it.
(for those of you who didn't catch the sarcasm, it's there, keep looking)

Something is seriously amiss.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by joehayner
You wouldn't believe how pissed I get when I see things like this. I hate it when people use religeon in any way, shape, or form in politics. I mean, can we get an intelligent person who isn't white or protestant(sp?), the last one we had was shot in the head while driving through Dallas. I don't mean we should vote for someone just because they are of a different sex, race, or religeon. I mean we need a good candidate that is of a different sex, race, or religion. It would be a step away from narrowmindedness in American society.

I thought you liked Bush. He uses religion all the time. He thinks he is on a mission from God. He thinks what he is doing in Iraq is the will of God. He is one of the biggest bible-thumpers in that office probably ever.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
What the hell are you talking about? Thanks for the rant about nothing.

You said it best though, WHO CARES if he's jewish. The point is, is that no one should. The point is, is that religion is not a real thing in Washington for the most part. Especially with Bush. Praying on TV quite a number of times, talking about the right thing to do for us nice Moral Majority.

What I am seeing is religion used as a part of a political platform, and Bush uses it to enhance his political theater. It's all concocted and is rediculous.

If I was Muslim or Jewish, I'd be pissed that this bogus # is even being put into play.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
There is a large portion of the US, mostly Southern States, where religion is a necessary evil for any politician on the national scene.
Atheists don't get elected Sout of the Mason/Dixon line.
His background mirrors my own: all pre-college education was via religious teaching institutions. As he says about us Damn Yankees:
"I'm a New Englander, so I'm not used to wearing religion on my sleeve and being as open about it," he said. "I'm gradually getting more comfortable with talking about religion in ways that I did not talk about it before."

Gee, openess on a private issue from a man running for president & non-manipulation of the religious fundamentalists of the South.....haven't seen that in over 20 years!!

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I never said I liked Bush. So many people assume that. Though I don't dislike him. In my opinion, he could have done a better job, but so could a lot of presidents. I disagree with his spending for one thing. I absolutly love the tax cuts, rolling them back would suck major ass. I don't get paid very much as it is.

Like I say, seperation of church and state exists for a reason. (take a look at the middleastern countries) I don't believe it is neccessary in government, though, it is easier to think that when you have no strict faith.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
BT: That's bull crap and you know it. He's barely religious. Why would he go around pretending that he is to get votes? And why is he being so damn tactless about it...you don't announce that you're going to start talking about God-you just do it. That's some strange politics. And in reality, there are plenty of folk on the east coast that feel perfectly find openly talking about their religion. You will be hard pressed to find a deeply religious person that won't talk religion to you. He's not comfortable talking about religion...not the whole east coast. He's trying to blame the divide when it's really his issue. Poor politics.

I wish smart folk like you would abandon him and get with the real candidate...CLARK!! Someone that doesn't have pretend he believes in god to get votes. Someone that doesn't just point out the flaws--someone that addresses them...and his new tax plan will help people like Bob88 with families to support. He would spank Bush all the way back to Crawford.

Question Dean's misstatements and his weakness on the issues--here is a man that pretends he opposes war, but doesn't have plan to bring the troops home. Here's a man that opposes lobbies, but doesn't have a plan to regulate their contact and power. Here's a man that opposes our current trade policies but doesn't want to take on NAFTA and the WTO. He says democrats need to be proud of what we stand for--but he doesn't want to fight for what we stand for. Here is a man that criticizes the president for his love of the rich man but plans to raise taxes on the middle class.

He's under attack from the media right now and I don't think he's gunna withstand the blows.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
NEO...its all in the "red and the blue" (states: and there % of voters in relation to religion)

That's why the unitarian Dean has suddenly found Jesus.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Many interesting comments here.

My true perspective is that christianity is a preserve of republicans and not democrats so Dean should butt out!

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saphronia
BT: That's bull crap and you know it. He's barely religious. Why would he go around pretending that he is to get votes? And why is he being so damn tactless about it...you don't announce that you're going to start talking about God-you just do it. That's some strange politics. And in reality, there are plenty of folk on the east coast that feel perfectly find openly talking about their religion. You will be hard pressed to find a deeply religious person that won't talk religion to you. He's not comfortable talking about religion...not the whole east coast. He's trying to blame the divide when it's really his issue. Poor politics.

I wish smart folk like you would abandon him and get with the real candidate...CLARK!! Someone that doesn't have pretend he believes in god to get votes. Someone that doesn't just point out the flaws--someone that addresses them...and his new tax plan will help people like Bob88 with families to support. He would spank Bush all the way back to Crawford.

Question Dean's misstatements and his weakness on the issues--here is a man that pretends he opposes war, but doesn't have plan to bring the troops home. Here's a man that opposes lobbies, but doesn't have a plan to regulate their contact and power. Here's a man that opposes our current trade policies but doesn't want to take on NAFTA and the WTO. He says democrats need to be proud of what we stand for--but he doesn't want to fight for what we stand for. Here is a man that criticizes the president for his love of the rich man but plans to raise taxes on the middle class.

He's under attack from the media right now and I don't think he's gunna withstand the blows.

I like Clark very much, and have not thrown myself behind Dean. I still strongly believe that the Dem ticket will be Dean/Clark.
He's not religious; and despite 12 years of Catholic school & nearly 4 more on my undergraduate, neither am I. BUT, I am very spiritual & pray numerous times throughout the day.
It's a flawed gambit to enter religion into the consideration process, I hate it, and it's what was and is pandered to so heavily by Bush & Republicans historically. It's a sad fact that people will look at as their sole criteria in their vote.
On Dean saying he's going to talk about religion - I took it differently than you. He did the honest thing by saying "look here, I'm not pulling this out of my hat to pander, it comes up here as important, so I'm going to let you know my views."
The smart thing is for people to demand civil discourse in the Dem race prior to nomination, not what that PoliticalWHORE Joe Liberman has brought to the mix, and shift it away from trying to snipe at the front runner.
As Carol Mosley Braun responded to the question 'Who among you has the best credentials for competing against Bush', she said, " Anyone up here has the credentials and talent to do a better job than what we have now, there's been no success to be measured".

That's exactly how I feel on the Dem contenders, with the exception of Joe Liberman/ Al Sharpton/Mosley Braun.

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Didn't Wes Clark, here of late, make the comment that he would not be Dean's "Cheney"?

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Because he was strongly positioning himself as P, not VP, only.

THant being said, I don't see him turning it down if offered, since it would likely be a ery hands on role.
The VP spot in the lasttwo administrations has changed the face of it.....no longer the dead man's stand in.
Hell, Cheney RUNS THE COUNTRY!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join