It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avril Lavigne BLOWS!@

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I agree with badge that Avril is a sell out. She's not punk! She's from canada. but thats what they decided to sell her as.

She doesn't really write her own songs. Are you kidding? She might say she does and thats the public story. She might add some lyrics here and there but thats really it. Do you really think her managers and the labels A&R team were going to let a cash cow like that have any real production control over the creative? Just enough to get her to shut up.

Believe me she makes a lot. More than just about anybody. I worked on her first album on the production side of it and I can tell you that in the US alone it's gone over 15 Platinum. lots of money and they aren't going to blow the opportunity to make more of it by letting avril run anything.

She's just the instrument (not musical) they are using to generate the cash. And trust me the labels need the money these days and are thankful for owning her catalogue. They are fireing people left and right just to make money to sign bands since there isn't enough cash flow to even go around the back office anymore at the labels. Morons still don't know how to sell jack over the internet and now they are paying for it. unfortunantly so is the consumer and the public.

Avril might be able to play some guitars or piano, but do you really think she was good enough to play it for the recording on her album? I doubt it. most bands that actually can play don't even play thier own instruments on the album. Big bands you wouldn't suspect can't cut it musicinaship wise in the studio to record on their own albums...trust me on this one.

So I can't call her out too much on that one concidering everybody pretends to be better musicians than they actually are if they are signed to a major. On stage she might play some really simple guitar, but it's kinda like watching jennifer lopez pretend she is a musician. something just doesn't seem right. They don't have the air of a musician. and real musicians spot that in a second. Most of the stuff she plays live supposedly on her guitar or piano are probably pre recorded tracks that they play back during the show. It's all carfully calculated and engineered by the sound tech guys, and they get paid alot of money to maintaine this illusion for the preformer. So don't really believe she's palying half the stuff she appears to be on stage. She might actually be able to play it behind closed doors ok, but not good enough to pull it off at the show and sing at the same time. or at elast not in the opinions of her handlers. besides look what happens when starlettes go off the program and try and do a solo song without all the fancy tech help at the concerts. Ashly Simpson? it's the one part that absolutly sucks. even the fans are usually not too into that stuff when it happens.

THe video is lame. The filming and the lyrics are directed to the mentality of the average 12 year old girl. But heres my question. How old is Avril and how many girls her age actually talk like she does in her lyrics? She's clearly not 12 years old so....sell out!!!!! She's a sell out! A phoney. A fake.

But as far as entertaining, which is her job #1, she does great. I'll cut her some slack on that. Ask Mojo's daughter. she loves Avril so Avrils doing her primary job as an entertainer right and keeping her demographics happy.

SR

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
She's typical manufactured material bro you must of seen that as soon as she walked through the door with the company giving you the album to help produce.

Typical music business ploy:

Pick up some fresh faced kid

Rip them off with a contract that benefits the company i.e. through publishing rights.

Use there pre-set identity or give them one: I've known plenty or dudes and dudettes that suddenly went from average everyday person who can sing to wannabe gangsters, indie slut with weird makeup patterns on there face's etc. etc. The company needs a angle to 'sell' you with.

Attach you to whatever's cool at the time marketing wise to make the kids respect you.

Before the Album drops:

Non-stop publicity tour and usually the start of some rumour or arguement. Prime example: Avril Vs Britney 'OMG I'LL NEVER DRESS LIKE THAT' Sureeee Avril that's why you've contradicted yourself to sell your second album.

The company won't be to bothered with the damage cause they basically own these kids they surround them with 'YES' people these kids don't care they are getting told by adults whats right and wrong and generally have no reason to doubt them and if they do well the kid know's that without the deal they go back to being broke so shut's up and does whatever. It never hurts rival companies to have there singers argue when it in turn generates more interest = Kerching to the bank. Damage control, PR and media keep an eye on it so it doesn't damage the company.

Usually back when the music industry could get away with anything they would dump the kid after they've served there use but these days that's not an option cause other companies will pick them straight up and try and cash in and theres plenty of ways to do it.

I lol at this thread cause just the other day i was chilling and she was on TV doing a Q & A before a song and the interviewer asked her to play some notes on her guitar and asked her guitar related questions and she didn't have a damn clue and refused to play. She's probably had four or five lessons in her life i mean it blantely shows her in her videos 'playing' yet she didn't live or know what shredding was.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
We can bitch about how Avril is a "sell out", but there are far more artists out there than her that deserve the same ridicule. The way the industry is geared today, musicians do not have a choice. Unless they have already reached their peak, and have the ability to begin their own label, there are paper pushers behind a big expensive desk that are deciding their fate. They'll find themselves in contractual obligations where they need to put out albums, but the only way the album will be released is if they buy into this "image". Most times, the artist never had a choice.

Is that the case with Avril? I don't know. Personally, I agree with much of what was said. I actually liked her first album, but anything since has been painfully disappointing. Well, the second album was doable. I'm into all types of music, so I tend to hear a little bit of everything. From classic rock to country to death metal, there is nothing that I can't listen to. And in every single genre, there are sell outs every day.

I get so irritated when I hear an artist talking about how this album represents who they are and what they feel in life. It's a load of you know what if you ask me. But that is the name of the game. The big wigs need to market these young men and women, and most times the singer is just along for the ride.

How I bemoan for the days where an artist could be who they want to be, and release the music they want to release. The Lennon & Cobain's of the world are nothing but a figment of our imagination.

:shk:

SR

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Dude i totally agree nobody can be deemed a sell-out or think there above other artists there all in the same boat. It used to be the whole Underground vs Label thing of 'OH you got a record deal but you sold out your fans and you suck now' then 'Well i got a record deal and you haven't because you suck and everyone knows it and you'll never be famous'

But these days it's just a joke because you've got idiots like 50 cent and Cam'ron arguing over who makes the most money as an example of companies using them as pawn's and that's all majority of musicians are. All musicians can be replaced all bands can be replaced it's rare especially nowaday's to get bands and artists that have the long term appeal and selling power of say the Beatles as an example.

As you've said there is no choice and i've realised that it's ignorant of myself to diss an artist when basically they're just using the skills they have to earn a living as well and secure it by using any means they can i'm sure if i was in the same position i probably would as well cause i don't think when you've got a plantinum album in the bank even if i used auto tune and pro-tools lmao that you'll be to bother about what a guy on the net thinks as long as someone has 'enjoyed' it then in a weird way it justifies it.

I suppose in a way as well a good thing abount seeing artists you don't like and songs etc. on MTV
is that if your musically gifted you can think 'Damn i'd make something better that i'd like and the people like' and then i suppose in the way inspires them to do so.

[edit on 24-5-2007 by SR]

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Agreed.

It's all marketing these days. Talent is just the "icing on the cake". How many "punk" bands are out there today, that are literally a carbon copy of the twenty that came before them? Take that band, and replace it with any band on the underground scene, but give them the same marketing... you would have the same results.

Talent in this day in age is simply an after thought.

---

1. Do you have any dignity, morals, ethics, integrity, etc.?

No: Sign on the dotted line.

Yes: Thanks.. but no thanks!

Easy way to filter out the "have's" and "have not's" of this day in age. The best music these days is nowhere to be found, and that is the beauty of it. They play for a love of the music.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Avril is awsome... Not really though... My honest opinion, she does what she does fairly well. It's just her style, which may seem very annoying to some, and really "gnarly" to others... Personally I'm not into the whole "canadian" punk scene. Though sum 41 had a few good songs

Above all, I agree with you.. And that stupid f****** Girfriend song.. It makes me want to kick a puppy..

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I liked her first stuff

But now she seems like a weak version of Brittany.

My quess is she's knocked up with her own reality show, which shows her giving it up to her husband pretty soon. I wonder if she will shave her head too.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Damn SR,

You sound like you have lots of experience with these sorts. very in tune with whats going on.

The indies are shaking things up a bit though, making the majors concider trying the indy approach.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Ahem, sounds like a bit of jealousy to me.
To be fair, I haven't heard this new song of hers. I think every musician and actor is entitled to a flop once in a while.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysticism

I like AC/DC because alot of the music is real possitive dispite the anti-christ devils child name. God that makes me cringe. I just ignore it. I also cringe at Highway To Hell. There are so many possitive songs that over all it is a good band.

I think AC/DC also means Good/Bad. It has to be. There are Negative songs and possitive songs.

Just to clarify, AC/DC stands for Alternate Current/Direct Current, not Anti-Christ Devil's Child, or whatever else people have come up with. How the Young brothers came up with the name for the band is quite simple. On thier sister's sewing machine, they saw "AC/DC" on the side, and thought it would make a cool band name. The rest is history. (You can find that on any AC/DC website, btw.)

Just thought I'd clear that up.

Oh, and yea, I'm not a big fan of Avril, but she does write her own music. That gets a thumbs up in my book.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
She sorta writes her own music. not really. they wouldn't let her blow the chance to make lots of money on her by letting her screw it up by writing herself.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
You all are being awfully hard on Avril.

www.facade.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

zindy.zone.dk..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

www.billcasselman.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Why would you want to speak so harshly of such a kind face?

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
She is rather attractive.

*Ducks the stones tossed at him*

Who knows, maybe when I become a huge mega rock star, I'll get to ask her why she sucked so much back in the day.

Take that how you want.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Avril Lavigne blows? I wish she sucked instead Anyways, her music is ok. Oh yeah, I think she is a little hottie.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
mod edit: removed content not appropriate to a family friendly discussion board

Terms And Conditions Of Use
1b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content.

[edit on 25-5-2007 by UK Wizard]

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Ok, that comment just dropped me to the floor, LMAO!

I had people at work asking me why I was laughing so hard!

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The music industry hasn't been about the actual music since metal died.
It's more about image and cross promotion.

Look, if it wasn't Avril (stupid name btw), it would be someone else.

Okay, well, it's tea time, so...gotta go.

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
jealous of??

hahaha bangable guys are funny.. personally i dont think shes hot maybe cute or something but thats stretching it. hot= eva mendes hollerrr hahaha

hah tea time.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by wu kung
The music industry hasn't been about the actual music since metal died.

Hey Metal aint dead, its a sleeping giant ready to awaken and sweep all before it into the lake of fire to burn in their own pop. Or should that be poop. :bnghd:

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
Hey Metal aint dead, its a sleeping giant ready to awaken and sweep all before it into the lake of fire to burn in their own pop. Or should that be poop. :bnghd:

My brother monkey, I do hope that you are right.
Long live metal!
88888___88888888888888888___8888
8888_____888888888888888_____888
8888_____88____888____88_____888
8888_____8______8______8_____888