It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cutty Sark Burns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Cutty Sark Burns

bringmadeleinehome.com

The preserved 19th century ship Cutty Sark is on fire, at Greenwich in south-east London. The London Fire Brigade says it's "100 per cent on fire". Sky News producer Leah Borromeo speaks to Eamonn Holmes from the scene.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21/5/07 by CthulhuRising]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Another piece of history dissapears :-(

Cutty Sark on Fire
(visit the link for the full news article)

Sorry for the Find Maddy link in first post i have tried to fix it but it keeps going back to it (Prob not such a bad thing realy)

CX

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
This is such a shame, i remember going to visit the Cutty Sark when i was a kid on a school trip.

Good news though that 50% of the contents were elsewhere due to the restoration work.

Police say they are treating it as suspiscious, as i guess they would until they hear otherwise.

Will be interesting to hear any conspiracies surrounding this one, insurance claims and the likes.

CX.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
that is such sad news. i used to live not too far from there and saw it regularly.
it was such a beautiful ship (the last tea clipper in existence) that you couldn't help but be impressed by it

it was undergoing major restoration work for corrosion and other damage. the police say the fire is now under control so i hope they can manage to salvage something from it and that it isn't totally lost forerever.

they are analyzing the cctv footage now for the people they suspect set it on fire at bout 5am. there would be little around at that time of the morning so should be easy to spot and track their movements. hopefully they will be caught soon.

cx - insurance claims are the most likely candidates in suspected arson cases, especially when there is a lot of money involved as would have been the case here (though the cutty sark is really priceless AND irreplacable). if it was a group of people (as is being suggested) then its unlikely to be a grudge from an ex employee and is sadly more than likely to turn out to be british yobs who think it would be funny to burn down the cutty sark for a laugh. still, if they dont catch them then they can always blame al qaeda

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Gutted (no pun intended)!

The old ships are beautiful, and the Cutty Sark is a true treasure, well it was. A real shame.

I hope they can re-build her.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Such a shame, I hate to hear news like this,

I know Prince Phillip was a member of the restoration fund for it so I'm sure he and the Queen will also be saddened by the news,

Vid of the damage

news.sky.com...

[edit on 21-5-2007 by asala]

SR

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   
It's a sad day for pirates every where a last real gem of a ship goes up in flames :shk: I checked out my little miniature version i bought from the tourist shop three years ago and think damnnn i'll never be able to wander round the decks again it's such a shame especially when they were pouring money into it with renevations going on at the moment for it all to be lost.

top topics

join