It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about voting?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I know very little about the whole voting thing so excuse the probably basic question.

Just been down to vote. At our polling station we had the option of voting for the following parties.

Labour
Lib Dems
Cons
BNP

That was it. I asked what happens if i wanted to vote for another party, the guy there said you can't because this was the only parties that anyone stood for around here.

So what if i want to vote for a different party? Even if that party did not have a local candidate, surely they could still let you vote for the party as a whole?

Am i missing something here?

Basicaly i just did'nt vote because i don't want any of them running the country. I have no trust in any of the main parties anyway, they are all as corrupt as each other so whats the point?

CX.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
To be able to vote for a party they have to put a candidate up for election in your area.

Assuming you're in England, then this is all to do with local council elections... there are literally thousands of council seats throughout the country so only the big parties (Labour, Lib Dems and Conservatives) can afford to put up a candidate for each one. Smaller parties such as Ukip, the BNP, the Greens etc. put up candidates in constituencies they think they stand a chance of winning in, but are gradually expanding out at each passing election. But if a party doesn't stand a candidate, you can't vote for them.

These are also local elections, so the person you vote for will represent your area on the local council. It's different in Scotland and Wales, though, since they also have their devolved parliamentary elections today too.

If there isn't a candidate you want, just spoil the ballot paper (scribble on it, cross through it... whatever
). That way you still voted (and indeed spoiled ballot papers are counted), but instead of voting for a party/candidate you show that you don't want to give any of the candidates your vote.

If you have a particular party you want to vote for at local council elections, why not write to them and ask them to consider standing a candidate at the next election?

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
In Britain we/I/you dont vote for parties we vote for representatives. Thats just eh way our democratic system works. If a party decides not to have a candidate in your constituency then you cant vote for them.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Taking Ste2652 point about asking the party you wanted to vote for to consider a candidate CX, you could look to offer yourself as a candidate.

I make a point to attending the polling station, and if none of the candidates are worth my vote, then I spolit the ballot paper.

I would like a "none of the above" box of the ballot paper.

CX

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP
Taking Ste2652 point about asking the party you wanted to vote for to consider a candidate CX, you could look to offer yourself as a candidate.

Nice idea, but not something i'd consider i'm afraid lol. For a start i have morals and a reasonably good character so thats me out of the running for start!

Thanks for all the replies, makes sense now.

CX.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Then stand as an independent candidate. I know there was an independent candidate in my ward, and the local council has 5 independent members - they do get elected.

posted on May, 3 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Actually voted for a candidate rather than spoiling my ballet paper this time.

CX, you mentioned their was no candidate for the party you wanted to vote for, yet do not want to stand. Just interested to why you would not consider it?

And for me, having morals and a reasonably good character is just what I want my local councillor to have.

top topics

join