It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brother Nation: 1 Camera for Every 14 People in the UK

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Big Brother Nation: 1 Camera for Every 14 People in the UK

news.independent.co.uk

Britain becoming a Big Brother society, says data watchdog
By Sophie Goodchild
Published: 29 April 2007

Britain is in danger of "committing slow social suicide" as such Big Brother techniques as surveillance cameras and recording equipment spread into every aspect of our lives, the nation's information watchdog will warn this week.

A new report from Richard Thomas, the information commissioner, will say that the public needs to be made more aware of the "creeping encroachment" on civil.....
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
One camera for every 14 people in the UK! Papers please! But oh no, cameras make the UK safer guarding against crime and terrorism mantra. Uk even has camera station that shout commands at you and questions. What do the people of great britain think of this? Have they done nothing to try to counter this intrusiveness?

This is whats coming to countries around the world as well, USA is this what we want? If not, can we learn from the UK methods and examples of installing camera everywhere in order to avoid this scenario?

news.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Problem is, most people don't comprehend the fact that cameras don't stop crime, they only displace it.

There's a lot of people that have no concern for cameras being installed to watch their every move. I guess so many like the idea of living in a life of control.

I for one, do not like the governmental intrusiveness of these cameras, as they have already been implemented here in the US just the same as they have in the UK.

The federal government has no right to "enforce habit". The U.S. should never become a police state, as has the UK become. I would like to think there are multitudes of American citizens that prefer to keep their right to "Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I don't think cameras in the US are installed to the extent as in the UK. Its a start here in the US, a foot in the door so to speak, or a trial run, testing the waters. I mean in the UK there are camera at city street corners, parks, etc. I don't think we're there YET, but if complacency sets in with the people of the US, as soon ass that happens, abracadabra, cameras will be just as prolific as in the UK.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
There's no point for these cameras to even be around and especially to the number that they are. Why don't people question them being there? I guess not many care, I know I sure would.

[edit on 023030p://42042 by mnmcandiez]

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Ok, think you americans have taken this a bit far...

I live in Plymouth in the UK and its no where near as bad as your making it out to be. YES there are quite a few cameras in the city centres but literally, they're only in dense concentrations there. I think what may have happened is that whoever compiled these figures has included traffic light cameras (which only activate when someone runs a red light) and speed cameras (which only activate when someone is 10% over the speed limit for that area.

The UK is definately not a police state, in fact that notion is pretty laughable to me.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Chonx- i think what people are mainly talking about is London, where they are every where.

things are a lot worse than just cameras though.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chonx
Ok, think you americans have taken this a bit far...

I live in Plymouth in the UK and its no where near as bad as your making it out to be. YES there are quite a few cameras in the city centres but literally, they're only in dense concentrations there. I think what may have happened is that whoever compiled these figures has included traffic light cameras (which only activate when someone runs a red light) and speed cameras (which only activate when someone is 10% over the speed limit for that area.

The UK is definately not a police state, in fact that notion is pretty laughable to me.

Denial is not just a river in egypt.

Plymouth (city) is not a very large city, about 250k population? This may be a reason you are not concerned or cognizant of the camera issue.

Numbers do speak that 1 camera for every 14 people in the UK. London is the major city that has the highest concentration. Question is has it been questioned in London? Fought there? No? Thats an invitation for your government to ramp up the monitoring. Your other major cities are next.

UK interactive camera link-amazing! :/ www.informationweek.com...

Big Brother Shouts at YOU/!
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Big Brother is not only watching you - now he's barking orders too. Britain's first 'talking' CCTV cameras have arrived, publicly berating bad behaviour and shaming offenders into acting more responsibly.

The system allows control room operators who spot any anti-social acts - from dropping litter to late-night brawls - to send out a verbal warning: 'We are watching you'.

Video of the SHOUTING CAMERAS in action!

[edit on 29-4-2007 by greatlakes]

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Another proof that UK IS A POLICE STATE, everyone knows it. I'm sure stutmason will come here and denial all the evidence... Just wait.

Personnally, I see privacy as a god-given right, just as free speech, free press, ect...

[edit on 29-4-2007 by Vitchilo]

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Please ignore the Brits who clearly don't understand the implications of this and other erosion of our civil liberties.

Some would say that they have a god given right to freedom and privacy. Not being religious, I can't say that but I do have an absolute right not to have my privacy invaded by the state and business.

Sadly, those in power don't care, must of the public don't understand it and nobody does anything to stop it.

Good on the IC for again discussing this, shame he has no authority to do anything about it.

Its not 'just' about CCTV, which do little to make us safer but mean we're constantly watched as we go about our business.

"oh, but if you have nothing to hide, you've nothing to worry about" is the usual argument from those with no common sense.

Until a few years ago, we had the DPA (Section 29 for those who are interested) which allowed the state limited access to personal data held by companies and other organisations. This worked well but wasn't good enough for the junta in Downing Street. Oh no, they felt they needed to enforce some kind of compulsion, so RIPA was introduced.

Then they started drafting legislation which would curtail what we were/are allowed to say, for example, the religious hatred act.

There were also ID cards. These will not be compulsory, immediately, but in due course, they will. There is even talk about them being mandatory for voting at some point to prevent electoral fraud (guess what - those who've been caught out cheating in postal ballots - all Labour party members - for our overseas friends, Labour are the governing party).

Theres much more but its getting quite late so I haven't the inclination to dig out all the detail.

Sufice to say that the UK is in many ways a much worse place to be. We don't fear terrorism as much it *appears* the US does, we lived with it for decades under the IRA. However, we're now forced to sacrifice many hard won, long time defending rights in the guise of security.

It was Benjamin Franklin who is believed to have written -

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

This is very much my view and thankfully, that of others in this country.

Personally, I can see only one solution - to emigrate. Shame our economy is 'so good' that none of us can afford to!

Links -

RIPA

Religious Hatred Act

ID Cards/Election Fraud

p.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Examine the fact that they are going to use childern's voices for the speakers.
Link

Using recordings of children's voices will make it harder for those in opposition to the surveillance society to be defiant of the talking cameras. Moonies and rude gestures will most definitely be a no-no.

Children will be recruited from schools to take part in the scheme and will be shown round CCTV operating rooms on school trips, learning how wonderful the big brother state is and how forcing people to behave in a certain way in public is the essence of a free society.

The use of children's voices to control adult behaviour is all out psychological warfare when you consider that it constitutes a total reversal of social norms. The government knows this full well and justifies it by suggesting that some people in the UK are now so devoid of morality that there is no way of setting that right other than by ritualistic public isolation and humiliation.

Rediculous. Big Brother strikes again indeed..

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Yet again, most cameras are not controlled by the UK government or police. Infact most are controlled by local buisnesses and as such is not controlled by the police. Those that are as already mentioned speed cameras , traffic cameras or public centre ones.

sty

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
This is a real picture taken in Exeter -south -west UK .Funny !

Mod Note: Image is too large.

[edit on 29-4-2007 by TheBandit795]

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Britain isn't a police state yet, but where the social state of this country is headed is another matter. Maybe they are overdoing it a bit with these talking cameras and 1 camera for every 14 people.

And the introduction of national ID cards isn't going to help (are they still doing that?)

If they do... maybe in the future they will have cameras that can read the biometrics of your ID card through your pocket! So they would actually know where everyone was at any given time!!

That's where we become robots.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   

The United Kingdom has also announced a contest, inviting children to compete to become the "voice of respect." The children will take part in a campaign to remind adults to be respectful, according to information from the Home Office. - www.informationweek.com...

Haha this reminds me of those films like Equilibrium and The Island where everyone is treated like a robot. Eventually we will have speaker voices saying "you will be obedient subjects. you will follow the rules."

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I don't get it. Why do you guys care so much about being on a camera? Genuine question.

I guess it's no big deal to me because the only cameras I see are just businesses protecting they're outlets. I don't live in a big city.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainLazy
I don't get it. Why do you guys care so much about being on a camera? Genuine question.

I guess it's no big deal to me because the only cameras I see are just businesses protecting they're outlets. I don't live in a big city.

That's really what I want to know too! We've had cameras everywhere from department stores, grocery stores, banks, gas stations, pretty much any and everywhere including folks who keep cameras around their own residences for decades, certainly as long as I can remember and since before my time. But people cry police state when there are cameras on streets - areas that are pretty much the most public possible and where there is absolutely zero expectation of privacy.

I don't understand it either, I hope as the thread goes somebody can help us out. I know if I lived in a rough neighborhood I'd be begging the city to install cameras.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The UK is not a police state, mind you it definitely has some problems, like
the talking cameras, anti-social laws and vulgarity police, but it does not
fit the definition of a police state.

Now, that said, the sheer amount of cameras does seem to be a bit much,
but as long as the majority are privately owned and operated at the
owners establishments, I don't see a big deal.

There does seem to be a disturbing meme in this thread to.

People who live in America think they somehow know better, and that
people in the UK do not know better and/or are in denial.

Seriously though, being an American does not make you better or more
right than anyone, and I say that as an American myself.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I've only skimmed thru this topic, as I was just about to hit the hay, but here in Minneaplois, we have this, namely on "Block E" (meaning the entertainment district / wharehouse distrct) And other various areas around the Twin Cities. The police can talk over the cams, and in 1 location, known to play classical & opera music to keep out crime. It's actually working pretty good, and has already helped a few criminal cases as well. As for me, if I am safer this way, I'm happy.

I also have a video secrity system around my property, mainly cause of the neighborhood kids doing stupid stuff to my equipment, but it's come in hany for a few other things as well.

I have nothing to hide, so for me, I'm OK with it. It's not like someone / group is gonna track my every move.

posted on Apr, 29 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Eh hemm, not all Americans as a matter of fact most I know do not live in "fear" of terror. You watch far too much public acess TV. That is why you think that the people of the UK do not live in a police state but there are intrusive camereas on you 24 seven in the cities. That is not freedom to me. I realize that you have no choice but to move forward with your lives, thats all any of us can do.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join