It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-35 Lightning II (2) testing and production thread

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

Could the Tornadoes push on for just some time longer? I ask because I was always under the impression a large part of the USAF was already past EOL.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I just edited my prev post on the other page, I've put a link in to a thread where I discussed this two years ago. Due to the removal of other aircraft from service the Tornadoes are actually wearing out quicker than envisaged.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
did any one read this by bill sweetman

F-35 Outclassed By 2015...

The Air Force Association (AFA), the pro-airpower Washington trade organization for the USAF's suppliers, has produced a very interesting video (large download, but worthwhile) which warns in pretty unequivocal terms that the US advantage in airpower is eroding.

On one level, it's designed to make the case that the modernization of airpower can't be neglected. In the process, it presents the most alarming perspective of the threat that we've seen since Uncle Cappy's Horror Comics, aka the Soviet Military Power series from the 1980s.

But at the detail level, it's interesting too. It starts not with fighters, but with SAMs, using the kind of shock-value detail that the old SMP books used - like a range-ring for an SA-21 (S-400 Trumf) SAM parked on the Mall in Washington (visions of a purple-faced DHS puke screaming YOU CAN'T PARK THAT THING HERE) and dropping a target over New York or Pittsburgh.
full article

interesting

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Lockheed are putting alot of pressure on countries to actually put money down and order them - but almost all of the delivery slot countries are waiting to see how the relevant versions pan out

Does 'non-recurring' equate to that old standby of the salesman; "If you buy from me today I can do you a special price"?

Norway have been offered an incredible deal from SAAB for teh Gripen NG - so lockheed have to try and do *anything* to keep them onboard - denmark are also wavering towards the gripen NG as well

[edit on 16/5/08 by Harlequin]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
I just edited my prev post on the other page, I've put a link in to a thread where I discussed this two years ago. Due to the removal of other aircraft from service the Tornadoes are actually wearing out quicker than envisaged.

Agreed waynos but as Flight said in an earlier article in their mag the tornado when viewed on the basis of tech/ability is in a better spot then it ever has been but it 15 years to late and will not last as long as needed. A bit of a tight spot one would say

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin

Norway have been offered an incredible deal from SAAB for teh Gripen NG - so lockheed have to try and do *anything* to keep them onboard - denmark are also wavering towards the gripen NG as well

[edit on 16/5/08 by Harlequin]

Smart on them too. Even if its not 5th gen its more effective bang for the buck. I like the idea and perks of 5th gen but if it comes at that price then its not worth it*.

*Until I'm proven wrong. But that involves testing on schedule and proving through demonstration that it can do what they say. Why do people like the 22? Because its doing just that now, proving its self.

[edit on 16-5-2008 by Canada_EH]

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
www.defensetech.org...

The House Armed Services Committee has forcefully reminded the Pentagon that it has been ordered several times by law to build and fund a competing engine for the Joint Strike Fighter. To make sure the Pentagon gets the message, the House has added language authorizing an additional $526 million for 2009 to the program to pay for the second engine

Glad someone has the balls to remind people what obligations have been made and not to ignore them because they feel like it

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Completely agree Har and its one of those things too that make me scratch my head considering that the F-136 has had less issues in its development to my knowledge then the 135.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Flight has another neat article out today showing the B model in CG performing VTO and I must say at the very least it looks cool and on a more in-depth though I can see and agree with the change on the lift fan doors from the test models as this is a case of slightly simpler is better then over complex.

The Joint Strike Fighter programme's first short take-off and vertical landing (STOVL) aircraft is expected to perform more engine runs in mid-May, ahead of undergoing hover pit trials at idle power and making a flight debut in late May or early June, says Lockheed Martin's F-35 chief test pilot Jon Beesley.

Also Beesely is doing a good job as the positive spin person on the team outside of his outstanding test pilot work.

"Everything would indicate that the programme should go very well," says Beesley. "I don't think any of the surprises are going to be such that they won't be easily overcome."

Also AA-1 is due to restart testing after a down period for inspections to the airframe after the past bit. When testing does resume they will focus on rounding out more of the testing with trails involving air start testing, supersonic flight and weapons-bay door opening.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
More insight into the news of reduced numbers from Canada's DND.

Despite the widespread and understandable assumption that Harper was referring to the F-35, Canada has not yet selected its next fighter, the DND emphasizes. Like several of the international participants in the JSF program, Ottawa plans to evaluate other candidate combat aircraft before making a decision, which is required by 2012...

and stresses that it has not formally selected the Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) despite having participated in its development.

I see "a bit" of double talk in that at the same time Harper has said that the fighter will have higher/better capabilities then the CF-188 which rules out a lot of other fighter and could be read as a direct reference to the 35.

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Lockheed want money and firm orders now - whereas the partner countries are all holding off seeing how the programme , not only cost wise but technically wise progresses

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
BF-1 in the test stall.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
BF-1 is within days or weeks of her first flight. Hover pit tests were completed two days ago. That was the last hurdle before the first flight. The first flight will be in conventional mode, with hover tests to begin after a couple months.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
THE cost of the RAAF's F-35 joint strike fighter has jumped by 37 per cent in real terms since 2001 but not enough to jeopardise Australia's most expensive defence purchase, according to the Australian Strategic Policy Institute.

Despite the blowout in cost, the RAAF's budget for the JSF should still allow the planned purchase of 100 aircraft at a total project cost of $12.3billion, the institute says.

The author of the ASPI study, Andrew Davies, told The Australian: "It's on track for the acquisition of 100 aircraft, if that's what we decide we want. The air force appears to have enough money to fulfil the plans."

The higher Australian dollar means that if an order were placed today, the JSF would cost less per aircraft than its original estimate in 2002, when Australia decided to join the program. At the current exchange rate, buying 100 JSFs would cost about $11.9 billion - well within the RAAF's indicative budget of about $13.5 billion.link

looks like the 100 will be bought as planned.
fingers crossed

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Interesting video assessment of the USAF current and future situation regarding combat with Russia or China. You never see the figures for the 35 or 22 in the comparisons but it makes it clear that the 15, 16 + 18 are no longer the "undisputed" rulers over the combat skies as they have never had to face these aircraft and ground systems as a threat.

Google Video Link

For my own interest I think I'll try and get some facts on the 35 against some of the others listed but that will take a bit. Till then enjoy the video as I found it at the very least to be knowledgeable.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by Canada_EH]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Full Afterburner for STOVL F-35
Entering its final series of ground tests prior to its inaugural flight, the first F-35B ran its engine in full afterburner mode on May 16.
The F135 turbofan engine unleashed 40,000 pounds of thrust during the successful test, paving the way for low-, medium- and highspeed taxis, and first flight in the coming weeks.

Electrical System Comes Alive
on Third F-35

Two-hundred seventy volts of electrical power coursed through the third preproduction F-35 aircraft for the first time on May 11, a process that required 35 percent less manpower than the previous F-35’s “power-on” milestone.
Initiating electrical power in the jet indicates that the majority of the structure is assembled, the utility systems have been installed and the aircraft is ready to begin operational systems checkouts. The short takeoff/vertical landing F-35B is the second STOVL jet and the third test plane. It will begin ground testing later this year and make its first flight in 2009.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Canada_EH

AWST blog

The animated presentation began promisingly enough with what appeared to be a computer-generated Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker banking into view. A flat grey paint scheme showed no national markings to avoid inadvertently offending any potential threat nation.

Unfortunately the missile deployed bore an uncanny resemblance to a Vympel R-27 (AA-10 Alamo). While for many years this was Russia’s premiere medium-range air-to-air missile, it’s not renowned for its anti-ship qualities.

well i found it funny

[edit on 28/5/08 by Harlequin]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Could someone please explain to me what all this, 'SDD', and 'Block 1' and so on lingo means...? And what capabilities are each block and when are they supposed to come out...? Thanks in advance.

___

Anyway, BF-1 has been doing taxi tests. Pictures here.

www.fencecheck.com...

Notice the smaller vertical tail, and twin nose gear doors.
Whose name is on the side... AA-1 was John Beezley, but this time? Also, I heard B model is limited to 7g's... this true?

[edit on 6/6/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
As far as I'm aware the g limit will be 9 like both the A-C versions as well.

For the name on the side of the cockpit its unreadable here in the images you posted.

From my reading and the image linked about my understanding is that Graham Tomlinson will be the first pilot of the B version as he has already made flights in AA-1 as well.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
This has got to win the award for the most ugly arsed airplane ever.

Look at the rear view - what the hell ? air to air is going to be a blooming nightmare of epic proportions.

Couldn't find the link so i deleted the pics.

[edit on 7-6-2008 by Dan Tanna]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join