It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tax Religion

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
here's a thought

taxation of income that isn't being specifically allocated for charity for all religions.

basically, tax the profit

taxing profit doesn't regard the establishment of a religion nor does it impede the free excersise there of.

why should religion get a free ride?

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Agreed.

I've always wondered how Catholic and Christian churches can justify not paying taxes when Jesus states VERY clearly that people should not use God as an excuse to get out of taxes.

"...repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God."

Matthew 22:17-21

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
good example ess, there's just one specific group of christians in my state run by some lady who actually preaches that she knows jesus loves her because she's rich. that's one person that we definitely need to tax since she bought like 5 luxury homes, 20 cars, and verious other extravagent things with tax free church money.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I don't get how people like that can sleep at night.

I remember sitting in church when I was young and the pastor started talking about how the MORE you put in the collection plate, the BETTER Christian you are.

I couldn't believe it when my parents stood up in the middle of the sermon, told all their kids to get up too, and paraded out of the service.

One of the best sermons I ever heard on money and christianity...from my parents, in the car on the way home.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius"...repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God."

um, did you ever think that the line was, possibly, invented to ensure that the taxes were paid?

a quote in the bible is not really a quote as nobody was walking around taking notes when the characters in the book spoke.

I'm not necessarily saying that the bible is fiction but it was written for a purpose and isn't there an outside chance that the folks who first put the book out thought it might be nice to add these kinds of things?

Also, it should be noted that non-profit organzations pay taxes on certain types of income and, in the case of foundations, if they don't use the donations received for charitable uses, they can be hit with taxes, along with penalties and interest for not following the rules set forth in the tax code.

the cash in the church basket is more than likely undeclared and is probably used for things that those who attend the services and put money in the basket don't want to know about. Nothing nefarious but there could be things bought that are not exactly church related.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
um, did you ever think that the line was, possibly, invented to ensure that the taxes were paid?

I'd never considered that. Thanks.

Of course, neither have most churches since the Bible is considered to be "God-breathed" by them.

a quote in the bible is not really a quote as nobody was walking around taking notes when the characters in the book spoke.

That's not really the way most churches view the bible, though.
Quite the opposite.

I'm not necessarily saying that the bible is fiction...

Sure you are. Don't back down now!

...but it was written for a purpose and isn't there an outside chance that the folks who first put the book out thought it might be nice to add these kinds of things?

These are all good points and, as you well know, there are about 1 KRILLION threads on ATS dedicated to this very conversation. The foundation for this thread is the BELIEFS of churches who view the Bible as holy doctrine, and how they disregard those beliefs to avoid paying taxes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're taking your view of the bible and placing it onto people who disagree with you dramatically.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're taking your view of the bible and placing it onto people who disagree with you dramatically.

You are wrong. Someone mentioned a line in the bible and pointed out that Jesus was saying it was ok to pay taxes. I was pointing out the possibility that the bible was written in a manner that meant to convey what was wanted from the people at that time.

I was offering a possibility, nothing more. I cannot say for sure that the bible is all real, all false or something in between because there is no proof for any argument. Simply offering a possible answer. Something to think about.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
You are wrong.

Mmmm...you reminded me of my wife just then.

I was offering a possibility, nothing more.

Fair.

Something to think about.

Consider it thunk.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
does anyone know what the legal reasoning behind not taxing PROFITS made by religion is? you can't say they don't make a profit, most do.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius
Mmmm...you reminded me of my wife just then.

I'm sure she'll say that was a huge compliment although I'm assuming she's far more woman than I.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
does anyone know what the legal reasoning behind not taxing PROFITS made by religion is? you can't say they don't make a profit, most do.

Religions are exempt from taxes under tax code 501(c)(3). The key is not that churches don't make PROFITS. The key to remaining exempt is that they spend those profits on EXEMPT PURPOSES ONLY as laid out by the tax code.

The exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3) are charitable, religious, educational, scientific, literary, testing for public safety, fostering national or international amateur sports competition, and the preventing cruelty to children or animals. The term charitable is used in its generally accepted legal sense and includes relief of the poor, the distressed, or the underprivileged; advancement of religion; advancement of education or science; erecting or maintaining public buildings, monuments, or works; lessening the burdens of government; lessening neighborhood tensions; eliminating prejudice and discrimination; defending human and civil rights secured by law; and combating community deterioration and juvenile delinquency.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Churches do not make profits, they exist through donations and fund-raising events.

I'll never support taxing a religious organization.

Edn

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
Churches do not make profits, they exist through donations and fund-raising events.

It doesn't matter where you get the money from once you start making more money than your spending your making profits.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 05:22 PM
link   

that's not entirely true. aside from holding religous services, religous organizations offer other things to the community that usually have a price tag and might result in profits for the organization. religous schooling is one area. Are they all profitable? don't know but they don't operate any form of "business" with the intention of losing money.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Kind of. Problem is, who is the government to tell them how much they should spend, how much they should save, and what quality of life they have? I hate the Catholic Church, but it runs through donations and fund-raisers, not sales.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Kind of. Problem is, who is the government to tell them how much they should spend, how much they should save, and what quality of life they have? I hate the Catholic Church, but it runs through donations and fund-raisers, not sales.

but it is still making more money than it spends. if any other organization makes more money than they spend they aren't considered a non-profit organization unless they immediately reinvest it in charitable activities.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Making more money than you spend is called savings.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Making more money than you spend is called savings.

Unless you are hiding under a non-profit tax shelter...then I think it's called "tax evasion."

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
non-profits can show increases in their cash at year's end. it would be almost impossible for any company, profit or non-profit to have a bottom line of exactly zero at year's end.

the important aspects are where the money comes from and what is it used for.

non-profits can have all kinds of revenue streams. donations as well as income from operations related to their non-profit status and charter. it's when they start earning unrelated income that they might find themselves getting hit with taxes.

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I don't support taxing churches. But if it ever happens it sure would be nice for pastors and priests to endorse candidates from the pulpit!

Taxing the churches would open up that can of worms.

Be careful what you wish for!

<<   2  3 >>

join