It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Time Does NOT Exist!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
If time does not exist then why am I always late?

Time is just our bash at understanding the world we live in - we are, after all, quite simple little monkeys.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

Originally posted by sardion2000
Time is the rate of entropy relative to the speed of light. The faster you go, the slower entropy becomes. It's really that simple and tested.

Entropy is all ready at an equillibrium and perfect state.

Really? Then how is it possible that we are here? This comment makes absolutely no sense... if there was no entropy we wouldn't age. If there was no entropy Rocks wouldn't erode, Radioactive Isotopes wouldn't decay, hair wouldn't grow.

Who measured the speed of light, and how?

Bounce a beam off a mirror on the moon and measure how long it takes for the beam to return. After that it's simply a mathematical problem. As for who, many people have conducted similar experiments. Google it up.

Now, does it travel or is it just Existing every where? Now if it is Existing every where, then we are traveling in and of light, we are the light traveling, thus it has no maximum speed and simply is. Speed is not a limit.

Light is generated from the interaction of electric and magnetic fields. Which is why it's called the Electromagnetic Spectrum. Light technically is everywhere, you are correct in that, though you are incorrect in saying Speed is not a limit. The Speed of light cannot be broken locally.

Tested by who? Stephen Hawkings and Albert Einstein? Their "time" is passed by the "now" and that is why their time is passed.

Take a Physics course please.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
"Time is nature's way of stopping everything from happening all at once."
John Wheeler

[edit on 21-3-2007 by blue bird]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Time is the rate of entropy relative to the speed of light. The faster you go, the slower entropy becomes. It's really that simple and tested.

And since light Exists everywhere, what is the rate of entropy? And what does relativity do to this equation when there is no speed of light? The only measurable speed of light is through the light that we create through the time that we have accepted.

Really? Then how is it possible that we are here? This comment makes absolutely no sense... if there was no entropy we wouldn't age. If there was no entropy Rocks wouldn't erode, Radioactive Isotopes wouldn't decay, hair wouldn't grow.

Larger, all of Existence Existing together, eternally. We age because of our consciousness, be cause of the reality that we accept. Existence its self can not erode.

Bounce a beam off a mirror on the moon and measure how long it takes for the beam to return. After that it's simply a mathematical problem. As for who, many people have conducted similar experiments. Google it up.

In this sense, yes, a specified speed of light can be measured, but light's speed is not limited. How can a thing (light) not travel and/or travel faster than its self if it is Existing every where? What about the light that the light being measured is traveling through?

Light is generated from the interaction of electric and magnetic fields. Which is why it's called the Electromagnetic Spectrum. Light technically is everywhere, you are correct in that, though you are incorrect in saying Speed is not a limit. The Speed of light cannot be broken locally.

How can a thing not travel faster than its self if it is Existing every where? It could never pass its self up.

About the physics course. Thanks but no thanks, I'm not interested in becoming a robot to the system. When the human species understands nothing then it will understand physics

[edit on 21-3-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand.

Time is a human invention, but it is an actuality. There is only NOW. We can remeber yesterday, but we cannot touch it, cannot change it. As humans, we set up the idea of time to make life easier. (i.e. In 3 years there will be a solar exclipse – remeber to sacrafice virgin) But, it is not a reality. Reality exsist only in the present. Past is not reality. Sure, it happened and it was real, but at the present it is only in your mind or in your text book, or recorded on film – that moment not longer actually exsists.

In the ball theory put forth, why would dust particles hit the ball? Why would they not stay stationary like the ball. It's because they are traveling though space and time ... just like everything in this universe, like the orbit of a planet, like a person through life.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Time, as a sequential flow of events, exists. To deny this is to deny reality. If it did not, then all things would have happened already.

Time, as in our perception of the sequential flow of events, is all subjective; time may seem to go faster for some than for others. Some method of coordination is needed.

And so, our measurement of this sequential flow of events was created; It is a way to take these personal perceptions of time and standardize it, so we can coordinate with other people. Time(as in minutes, hours etc): Man Made? yes. Non-existant? no.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vilkata
Time, as a sequential flow of events, exists. To deny this is to deny reality. If it did not, then all things would have happened already.

All things have happened all ready, there is no beginning and there is no ending, thus there are an eternal amount of possibilities that then become an eternal amount of realities and happenings

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   

You have quite the mind on you, it's a pleasure to converse.

Likewise, my friend

I pictured that with you : )

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
You guys have some awesome posts and insights.

Let me direct to you one of the most well known physicists in our day n age - Albert Einstien. He struggled over the concept of time (mainly due to his experiments with the speed of light) and IMO he has come the closest to nailing it.

The answer lies in the Theories of General and Special relativity. Atleast the best answer I've seen so far. Goto wikipedia and read it to get an idea. The gist of it is - that yes as has been stated before - TIME is a measurement by man. It is however, a direct result of the frame of reference in our current space/time position.

This is to say, because of our location in the solar system / galaxy / universe (IE, frame of reference) we measure time RELATIVE to that frame of reference. Change the frame of reference, and time changes.
Time is only relative to the frame of reference that your currently in.

I tend to agree with this, taking into account that variables that we use to measure time here, such as the rotation of the earth, its position in the galaxy, the rise and fall of the sun and even atomic vibrations (which can be effected by gravity fields and other electromagnetic variances). All these things go into us measuring time local to our frame. Change the frame, change the way we measure time.

What does this tell us about time? Well, I don't know. But I can tell you with a sincerely belief that this is probably the only unique place in the entire Universe that time flows the way it does. Time to go explore the rest of the Universe aye'

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vilkata

Considering the fact that we don't REALLY know what "reality" is, your point has little to no influence.

[edit on 21-3-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

[edit on 21-3-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Two objects can't occupy SAME PLACE in the SAME TIME---------> so 4 dimensions of space is required.

It is possible only in hyperspace (as mathematicians see it) but hypersp. is 2D - NO mass -just protons -pure light.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue bird
Two objects can't occupy SAME PLACE in the SAME TIME---------> so 4 dimensions of space is required.

It is possible only in hyperspace (as mathematicians see it) but hypersp. is 2D - NO mass -just protons -pure light.

They can and when they do they alchemize and become some thing different.

Beyond, yet of this thought process: Everything occupies the same place at the same time because connectedness is never ending.

Take a hydrogen molecule and an oxygen molecule, mend them together and we have water.

Beyond this we would have a completely new element, and yet everything is made of the same stuff at the same time

[edit on 21-3-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by shrunkensimon

Originally posted by mistr_b2
distance is real but time is not and this is what confuses me,I need better understanding of the whole black hole thing ,where Time supposed to slow down but it's just distance really stopping or something,ouch my brain!

If you want to understand, thinking about blackholes should be your last area of research.

Why? Because not alot is properly understood about them, and IMHO (and others will agree) Stephen Hawkings is actually fundamentally wrong about blackholes.

Blackholes are not a good place to start in order to increase your wisdom and understanding of reality...

IMO blackholes are not holes, nor are they infinitly dense. There is something happening on the surface of the star that we do not understand, that is making it appear void of light. I also feel rotation of the star is important in regards to blackholes. In other words, the star is still there, but some special reaction has taken place, making it behave very oddly.

I totally agree with that. scientists make things up for things they don´t understand.

link   

Originally posted by blue bird

You mite find the experiments done by Canadian madman Hutchinson (google Hutchinson effect) interesting. He made two completely different substances blend together by using electromagnetic fields. Wood and metal blended together...occupying the same space.

link   

They can and when they do they alchemize and become some thing different.

Beyond, yet of this thought process: Everything occupies the same place at the same time because connectedness is never ending.

Take a hydrogen molecule and an oxygen molecule, mend them together and we have water.

Beyond this we would have a completely new element, and yet everything is made of the same stuff at the same time

What you are referring to, is something different - I am speaking from standpoint of physics: about Pauli exclusion principle which states that no two particle with the same quantum numbers can't occupy the same place!

That does not negate notion that we all are and everything we see and not see - made of same 'star dust' poetically said!

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
* i didn't not read all posts

I belive yor reasoning for not beliving that there is time is flawed. You say that time only exists because we invented the idea of time to keep track of things. IE, how long was that, when do i go to work, ect. So, when humans invented a scale to measure time, you are saying that we invented the aspect of time as well

However, appliing the same idea to other inventios that humans made to quantify something and the results can be comical. For instance, distance, the is space between 2 objects, but there is no was to express this without having a scale, so humans invented a crud scale, feet inches and such.

Saying there is no time because we qunitfied it, is similar to saying that length and distance are also just figmentgs of our imagination, and that distence too is not real.

The fact is that time and distence are interwoven toghter in some way, and that is what i belive

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
They were trying to explain "LIFE" but did not know where to begin. So they became rational and tried to explain everything in "TIME" such as a "TIMELINE" of a war or an AGE. Hence the Tool Age all the way through to the Golden Age. to Present Day. Explain .. Life without TIME .... it is impossible ... Explain a pregnancy without mentioning 9 months ... 40 weeks ....

Originally posted by Mysteri
One of these days hopefully physics will actually catch up to what is really going on around us, maybe in that future day physicist will actually be trying to solve the mysteries of nature (and not just trying to sound smart)
time, i repeat, time does not exist. time is the equivalent of using god to explain how the universe came to be. He just created it and it was there (where the heck did HE come from), physicists , the preachers of the scientific world whose every word we swallow up like the solid truth including their irrational flaws in physics, created time to explain...actually i dont know what they were trying to explain, perhaps someting along the lines of the linear definition and movement of the past present and future. but in my defence as Antiphon the Sophist once said... "time is not a reality but a concept or measure", and Ralph Waldo Emerson follows up with "past and future are only present projections of memeory and hope" couldn't have said it better myself.

There is...
-rate
-speed
-the measurement of acceleration via the illusion cast by the definition of seconds, hours, years etc...
-memory, prediction and hope (emotions and perceptions cast by mental awareness)

There is not...
-a linear, circular or otherwise movement of "flow" affecting physical matter, space and energy of the univese or universes thereof

reciprocating the sentiments of John McTaggert Ellis McTaggert, time demands change and everything does not change, allow me to digress into an exemplary instance to demonstrate...

Lets say that one day an astronaut in the year 2000 dropped a small red ball into deep space (interplanetary to avoid all those gravity dilemnas) this ball floats about in spcae for millions of years perhaps hit by the occasional dust particle or small rock but it will survive, now our little astronaut buddy has been in cryo-storage all this time and hasn't aged a tad, imagine his surprise when upon his next venture into space he finds the same ball totally unchanged.

yeah, i know im good. so lets see what yall have to say now eh?

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Time does exist from our point of view. Just as it does for the characters in a book. Sure the book's already written, but the characters don't know that.

I see life as if it's a book, and we're just experiencing the story from different perspectives.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quackmaster
.....and this matters because? .....it will change our lives how?

Nice collection of words, but my life works the way it is, couldn't give a monkies if we understand time - understanding what makes my son smile is a little higher up my agenda....

That brings up a good point... Try asking a female who is PMSing if time exists!

Tip: be close to a door if possible.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
How is it, if time doesn't exist, that what you do in the "now" will effect the future "now"? Without time you could have no rate, therefore no vibrations, and no bonding of molecules or atoms. Also, everything would be here in the now, including our subconcious and that would mean we wouldn't even think about a past or future.

just my two cents....

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join