It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Time Does NOT Exist!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by secret titan
How is it, if time doesn't exist, that what you do in the "now" will effect the future "now"? Without time you could have no rate, therefore no vibrations, and no bonding of molecules or atoms. Also, everything would be here in the now, including our subconcious and that would mean we wouldn't even think about a past or future.

just my two cents....

Maybe there isn't any thing wrong with the above. If we couldn't think about a past or a future then how could we effect it? It would not Exist in our minds there fore we wouldn't even be aware of it

Man created time to categorize memories and events. Just because every thing Exists doesn't mean we have to categorize it

[edit on 21-3-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
secret titan you do realize that that does not make any sense right? just checking.
but whoa this thread is on fire! and i am in the top line!
i am living in a nerds paradise.
but seriously people time is impossible, not to mention it just creates far too many problems for physics in general. and disproving its existence will change the whole univeral model.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Fact: An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external and unbalanced force. An object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external and unbalanced force.

So, nothing can have motion without time. If everything is "now" we can not reference what happened "then". If there is any type of change in ANYTHING, time is involved.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   
althought humans are smart, i must conclude that within the context of this instance and physics as a whole- it has been wrong before (there is not even a solid theory yet for how gravity operates)

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by secret titan
Fact: An object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external and unbalanced force. An object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external and unbalanced force.

So, nothing can have motion without time. If everything is "now" we can not reference what happened "then". If there is any type of change in ANYTHING, time is involved.

Time or no time, every thing has motion

Only nothing is ever at rest and "nothing"(no thing) is not an object, therefore nothing can and can not have motion, its duality must be understood if it is going to be used. Every thing is all ways moving, all ways.

We are on a rock that is hurling through space, it appears that we are not moving, but we all ways are, and every thing all ways is.

Balance? Balance is a judgment of an expectation for what it should be. Every thing is balanced through knowing that nothing does not Exist, the fact that nothing is a non existing consituent causes it to balance every thing be cause every thing is then known to go for ever, but this is not expectation, it is the way of Existence.

Existence is eternal, time is temporal

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mysteri
althought humans are smart, i must conclude that within the context of this instance and physics as a whole- it has been wrong before (there is not even a solid theory yet for how gravity operates)

Perhaps we are headed the wrong way with debating IF time exists.

Shouldn't time be a theory too, or at least how it operates be a theory?

Just because you can't see time doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but you guys have some interesting thoughts! Perhaps we should all become scientists and dedicate our "time" to proving if time exists or not.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Are time and space the same thing.

If there was no time could we move?

If there is only NOW each pulse creating a new NOW then our present NOW is influencing the NOW that takes up the previous one. therefore there is a linear motion as space/movement is linear, just our perception of time is created though our memory of the NOW. and our expectation for the future.. all that exsists is NOW however like an animation it follows a pattern a pulse that creates a smooth linear perception that we as humans can experience and give it a name called time. Maybe someone will take away a few frames of the now and the ball may instantaniously seem to go to its final resting place on the floor after rolling it. However take into concideration this:

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inwaht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt.

we can all read this right? even though the words are not correctly laid out in a linear (correct spelling) way... therefore what if.. all the frames, moments of the NOW are not linear its just that we can "read" them like we can read that sentance above and it all makes sense in our little brains!

At the moment we just read time just like the sentance, but we are not seeing that its spelt incorrectly maybe cus we havnt finished the sentence to then analyise its content.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
But rather, Duration. Time is a sequence of bubbles, instances of duration, like pictures in a film projector. to see one instance of time is to experience the duration of that experience. "Time" is subjective "duration" is not. (which is why a clock on a tower or plane is slower then a clock on the ground) I personally think that light, Gravity and "duration" are inter-related which is why we have no good theory of gravity because we barely have one of the three equations understood ( "light" has both mass and wave , photons and color, properties) you can't work out an understanding from a single set of equations, which is exactly where we are to date

here is where my source is

www.space.com...

[edit on 21-3-2007 by thedigirati]

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
oh my fricken gosh...
that is exactly what i have been saying all along people there is no time but there is motion, did you read the introductory paragraph?!

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mysteri
oh my fricken gosh...
that is exactly what i have been saying all along people there is no time but there is motion, did you read the introductory paragraph?!

Thank you for starting the thread
A lot of us have understood what you stated, thank you for providing a thread for us to state, express, and exchange what we have all ready thought about

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I just had an idea. I'm not even going to attempt to try and explain what time is or if it exists, but I did have a thought as I read through all the posts.

I thought about my own memory, and what it does. Sometimes I try to go back in time by recalling a childhood memory. Some memories are vivid, others are fuzzy..... yet even the fuzzy memories reflect a point in time which has helped shape me and make me who I am in the NOW.
A while ago I watched a movie with Robin Williams in which he plays a man who collects recorded memories of people who have passed away, and cuts them for the funeral. When a man sees a boat from his younger days, he says "I could have SWORN that boat was red" (or whatever color he said).

While reading your posts and recalling this movie, something just clicked and that's when this thought came into my head. I've heard people theorize that we should be able to not only change our future, but our past too, and we should be able to recall the future the way we recall our past, especially if they all do indeed occur at the same time.

Memories are our only way to try to experience our past. If you examine your own memories, can you accurately remember everything, or do you try to fill the missing pieces with "possibilities"? If you experience something a certain way when you were a child but the memory becomes warped as you try to fill in more and more pieces,... will your opinion of that experience change,... and therefore change the way you think and feel about the world? Are we influencing our past (the way we influence our futures with the choices we make) by filling in the missing pieces? Do we begin to love what we used to hate by doing so?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we change our past by morphing our memories of the past, therefore in little or big ways changing how we react to things, therefore changing the way we see and experience the future. I guess in a way we're never living in the "future" or "past", we live in the "now", remembering or fabricating who we are and how we should feel about things. I think somehow our "memories" play a big part here.

I don't know where I'm going with this. It's a new thought so I need time to explore it,.. get some feedback from others to make sure I'm not babbling nonsense.

One last thing...... One night I dreamed my whole day before it happened. I know there are others who have too. Sounds crazy, but what's that all about? What's with Deja vu? A glitch in the brain, or remembering the future? I don't know.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Time does exist because man created the definition. Just like plastic exists because man created the material. Seconds, minutes, hours, days, etc., are units of measurement. Time is NOT a dimension, however, BECAUSE it was created by man.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cyfre
Time does exist because man created the definition. Just like plastic exists because man created the material. Seconds, minutes, hours, days, etc., are units of measurement. Time is NOT a dimension, however, BECAUSE it was created by man.

Can a dimension please be explained? What is a dimension and why is it any different than a man made creation? If any one can ever explain one dimension without using all of them to do it, then I'll agree, but as soon as depth is 0, width and height diss appear as well.

Time is not a dimension because dimensions do not exist, as time does not, too

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Then if all that is true, we don't exist either. Maybe this post should be Why Nothing Exists!

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Our perception of time is based on cycles, which has no bearing on space-time. One revolution/cycle around the sun, seven cycles to equal a week, just a larger cycle. 365.25 cycles to equal a year, astronomical cycles and so on. These cycles were relied apon to sustain crops perpetually. What we perceive as time is only in relation to a specific point, if there is not a starting point we have no perception of time. There is only NOW, time is an invention of man and therefore non-exsistant.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by imeddieone4202003
Our perception of time is based on cycles, which has no bearing on space-time. One revolution/cycle around the sun, seven cycles to equal a week, just a larger cycle. 365.25 cycles to equal a year, astronomical cycles and so on. These cycles were relied apon to sustain crops perpetually. What we perceive as time is only in relation to a specific point, if there is not a starting point we have no perception of time. There is only NOW, time is an invention of man and therefore non-exsistant.

What i've been trying to say the whole time is that NOW wouldn't exist if there was no time. NOW can't be proven. We could be in our own past right now. Maybe we are all really dreaming that we are here NOW, and the NOW we know is really the past.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
There is no now, now is still a moment. There is only eternal Existence, all else is man made creation.

0 and Nothing are important factors in understanding every thing and nothing.

There can not Exist a dimension that says another dimension has to be Zero for it to Exist, as soon as any dimension is given the attribute of zero all other dimensions cease to Exist, yet every thing will be discovered.

Time is 0 and eternal, zero is eternity, and eternity is every thing

Zero is eternally not Existing causing everything to eternally, never end

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Still, I would like for you to prove that time doesn't exist WITHOUT using any words that involve time. (a point in time, moment, etc.)

ALL motion involves time. If you have motion, you have a starting point.

No movement is instantaneous, and if it is, that would still involve a point in time.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
Time is a HUMAN CONSTRUCT OF THE MIND NOTHING MORE!!!

This is, IMHO, the most accurate description of time. Time is not a substance. It is neither mass nor energy. So what is it? It is merely a fictitious quantity brought up by the human mind to create the idea of "when". And it's true, without this concept we would have pure chaos. Nobody would do anything on the same schedule, and time is necessary to keep order. But the fact remains that time is fictitious.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join