It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Given Right to Ban Islamic Veils

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Students in England could be banned from wearing full-face Muslim veils for security or educational reasons under government guidelines to be published on Tuesday, officials said.

The guidance paper from the Department for Education and Skills (DFES) would leave it up to individual head teachers to decide what pupils should and should not be allowed to wear in class, a DFES spokesman said.
"If they feel any garment imposes on a child's ability to learn or is a safety or security issue they could be banned," the spokesman said.

The DFES said its guidance will recommend teachers take into account the religious requirements of some pupils to wear items such as a turban.
"They should have regard to a range of religions and try to accommodate them where possible," the spokesman said.
"But what we are saying in the guidance is that safety, security and the ability to learn is paramount."

Referring to the niqab, he said: "Some teachers say it is difficult to read a child's expression or understand what is being said.".

SOURCE:
news.Yahoo.com

This was sort of surprising to me, since the UK seems to be one of
the EU nations that is very (to much so in my opinion) tolerant towards
Islam.

I think this is a positive thing, though in my opinion regulations like
those in France should be adopted.

Comments, Opinions?

[edit on 3/20/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I completely agree with this, but it also stinks of a government passing the buck. Let the headteachers decide, then there is no come-back at a political level as the head teacher made the choice.

I would prefer to see a government come straight out and say that wearing religious head garments which even partially cover the face should be banned. It's not on.

Were a Christian boy to go to school wearing a balaclava even in the playground, it would be confiscated on the grounds that he could do all sorts of things and get away with it.

I'm sick of the double standards and concessions given to ethnic minorities on the grounds of religion.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
While I agree with the decision, once again as has been posted previous, the Govpasses the decision onto the headteachers to take the flackfrom angry parents.

Can seelawsuits being launched, accusing schools of discrimination against Muslims, wonder if this will be spread full board, towards any religion, so Muslims do not feel targeted. If not they are going to have to, make sure it covers all religions..........

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
This was sort of surprising to me, since the UK seems to be one of the EU nations is very (to much so in my opinion) tolerant towards Islam.

I don't think this is intolerance - it's no more intolerant than asking kids wear a school uniform and stick to it. Part of the reason for a school uniform is that kids all wear the same thing - it puts them on a level playing field, there's no bullying over clothing and it keeps everyone looking smart. I think there's also a bit of a community spirit instilled into kids wearing uniform, too.

Passing it on to not be blamed is perhaps part of the reason for doing so, but keep in mind that the government will be attacked for passing the law in the first place.

I imagine the main reason for 'devolving' the decision is because headteachers can make a better, more informed choice at a local level than a civil servant sitting at their desk in Whitehall can. If the school governors also agree then it's difficult to argue with.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I think this is a good idea. Heard the recent story about the paedophile in America who posed as a school kid? Somebody could use the veil thing to do this, as you might not be able to tell what sex they are beneath it.

Also, it's not a requirement in Islam, just like women wearing hats in church is not a requirement in Christianity. It's just a cultural thing for some Arabs. Go to Bosnia or Turkey and you'll see the vast majority of Muslim women don't wear the Hijab.

I've heard some people say that girls wearing the Hijab in school could be an identity thing, similar to others being 'Goths' or 'Emo'. Can't say it is that though.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It's incredible the way some people want it both ways.

If the Gov devolves decisions and policy to those 'on the ground' they are slated for 'passing the buck'.

If the Gov issues the rules with little flexibility then they are being' nannying or (as seems the tory's latest idiotic catch-phrase) 'Stalinist'.

In actual fact this is all a rather mild set of national guidelines and they aren't out-of-step with existing rules.

We don't really have a problem here - not unless people are determined to create one.

new topics

top topics

join