It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Spider! What is it?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
First off I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this If not please move.

This is a picture I took last July of the biggest spider I have ever seen in North East Pennsylvania. I thought I lost this picture but upon looking at old memory cards I found it. It was early morning in July it was outside my basement door on grass adjacent to my driveway. That piece of plywood is 3/4" wide as a size reference. I have asked around about this and no one knows what kind it is or have they ever seen one this big. So that’s where you guys come in! What kind of spider is this? I look under my covers every night ever since I seen this bad boy.

AlBeMeT

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Looks like a wolf spider, they are common and sometimes quite large check this out google

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I thought that to Jack but the wolf spiders I have seen around here are Brown and about 1/8 the size. IMO it is now a wolf spider.

Thank you
AlBeMeT

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
It could be a species of fishing spiders. However, I never seen any that are all black like that. But they do get quite large and have a similar body structure.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
where do you live are you australian by any chance Australia has many diffrent species of spiders some quite large

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
oh just caught the pennsylivania thing anyway I say it might be a fishing spider or if not then a wolf spider but i've never seen any that are all black like that

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Hey I took a picture of a spider that looks exactly like that last summer! It was huge! We could literally see its eyes and its fangs! I put my hand in hte picture for reference, it was really big! Well atleast for Spiders in our region. It looks like a black widow, but I'm not sure, anyways it's big.

I love spiders so this one was really awesome! Anyways I'll try and find the photo in my stuff, I'll post back as soon as I have it!

-Jimmy-

[edit on 19-3-2007 by Jimmy910130]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
It could be a none native spider, insects get shipped over in crates and what not so maybe look further a field

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jimmy910130
It looks like a black widow, but I'm not sure, anyways it's big.
[edit on 19-3-2007 by Jimmy910130]

Black widows aren't that big. They only grow to around 4cm, and males are only around half that.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Buy any bananas lately? When I was down in the Dominican Republic, there was a monster of a spider in the hallway of our hotel. From leg to leg it was 5 inches. The thing scared the bejesus out of me. I would have pictures to back up my story if customs didn't confiscate my rechargable batteries.

As for your buddy, I don't know him. Remember, spiders our our friends

[edit on 3/19/07 by TJ11240]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Wolf spider, fishing spider or this one get my vote

Barn Funnel Weaver

apc

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
99% sure it's a wolf. We get them all the time around here. They're great spiders to keep around. They eat bugs and other more dangerous spiders.

If you want to creatively confirm wolf, gently restrain one of its legs. Wolves will quickly drop the leg and run away. Don't worry, it'll grow back.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Heteropoda Venatoria (ashidakagumo in Japanese), or Huntsman spider.

They're all over the world, and there's a lot of variation. I've never seen one quite that dark though...

Too big to be a wolf spider IMO.

[edit on 19-3-2007 by xiphiidae]

apc

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Heteropoda Venatoria:

Wolf:

If wolves have a bountiful supply of bugs to eat, they can get pretty damn big!

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Google:
Dolomedes tenebrosus

The Dark Fishing spider..related to wolf spiders.
They seem to have varying degrees of lightness, or darkness.
But I think thats what it is.

Here is the Google image search I did.
Dolomedes tenebrosus

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Thank you - i hate big spiders, why did I click this link? it's my bed time

Spiders have a place on this earth (flattened under the boot of someone other than me - live and let live, but as far as spiders go NOT NEAR ME!!)

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
yeah...

It would make sense for it to be a wolf spider actually, given that it's in PA. It's just so damn big.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Yeah I think I'm gonna have to go with wolf spider. I think that its just a darker variation of the species.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Hey apc,

That second spider. Are you sure thats a wolf?

Check out the bottom of this link.

fishing?Wolf?

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 12:40 AM
link   
That's the Brown Trouser spider or Crapus Pantus in the latin.

Yoinks...that's ugly.

Spiderj

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join