It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Spider! What is it?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
OMG THAT THING IS HUGE!!!

Come to think of it, do think there could be a spider that about as tall as the lower half of you leg!?

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
have you ever seen this?

camel spiders

big suckaz, eh?

posted on Mar, 23 2007 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Untitled,yes that is a real photo taken by U.S. Forces but it is an optical illusion created by the position of the camera.Those spiders never really get that big like the size of a mans leg.They do get as big as a Mag flashlight though.With the long legs they can look the size of a man's hand.Some have been reported larger though but not really as big as a frisbee but a bit less smaller than that.You can see in the photo the bottom right corner the true size of a mans arm and it can be compared to the spider size which would make the 2 spiders much smaller than most people see at first.This picture is fooling millions of people on the internet and making this Camel spider famous

The real sizes shown in these videos.....

www.camel-spiders.net...

So you see they are not really more scary than Fishing Spiders or Wolf spiders that can be just as big sometimes.Like in the first post.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I saw a tarancula (sp?) looking spider in the street once...

I was working as in intern for the City of Ventura, and was walking from the police store front (where I was giving out temporary parking passes) back to city hall, and in the road outside of it was this giant furry spider, like a taranchula (sp?), only it was solid black.

Someone in city hall sudgested it was a wolf spider, but I deffinately know now it was not, as this spiders legs were steepply bent at the joint, with the knee above the spiders body...

It was huge, and it's entire body without its legs was a little longer than a golfball is wide...

The thing scared me to death as I'm affraid of spiders, and I completely avoided it. I never did see it moved and thought it could have been a fake or something, but it would have to have been a good quality one (I do believe the spider was real). When I came back out to leave for the day, around 5 minutes later, the spider was nowhere to be found... There was a small dirt lot with tons of dead weeds near by at the time, which I thought was were it originated from...

I've done several searches on google and stuff try to find out what kind of spider it was, but I can't find anything symiler to it. The sighting occured around 12 years ago or so now... But I still remember it like it was yesterday...

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 10:57 PM
link   
there are 3 possibillities. 1 a big wolf spider . 2 abig fish spider . and three do you have any chemical bases near yor home?. if so possibly a mutation
. it heps the credibility that that other guy saw one too. it will further help if he posts his picture for comparison. damn i love having a big vocabulary

posted on Aug, 10 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
For the person who asked about the hissing spider, here it is. Its also about the size of a dinner plate...:

Goliath Bird-eating Spider

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
EWW!
i dont have a name besides BIG or GROSS or EWW!
but have u seen the Heteropoda venatoria siders!
i hope this HTML code works if not just google them! EW

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Are you sure that spider is real?
The legs seem awfully straight.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
bugguide.net...

Submit your photo here. They can probably give you the genus/species.

posted on May, 26 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
To me, the Goliath bird eating spider is the most dangerous spider because it can get the size of the dinner plate. Picture that on your shoulder

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeniusLogan15
To me, the Goliath bird eating spider is the most dangerous spider because it can get the size of the dinner plate. Picture that on your shoulder
Spidey fact.... The tribes people where the Goliath bird eating spider lives, worship the spider, and use its venom as a transendental drug, to enduce spiritual experiences. They also wear the discarded skins of them as hats. It also fires out the hairs on its legs as a form of self defence

I nearly had my hand bitten off by one when I was a toddler, at the zoo. my mum turned around to see my hand in a cage, with a big old hairy beasty slowly moving toward it. I'm just glad i can't remember it, cos it sounds like the stuff of nightmares!!

[edit on 27/5/2009 by Acidtastic]

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

I just learned that the hair shooting of some spiders can cause anyphalactic shock if the hairs are breathed in.

posted on May, 27 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Every spider at my house all share one name:

Squished Deadus spider.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
ohgodohgodohgod

*Arachnophobia*

On a serious note, thats a really weird looking spider, especially the legs, never saw anything like that. Could be a new specie, there's lots of undiscovered insect species.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
man i wish there where spiders like that around here ...

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
In my opinion it's one of these...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1d653ff736f9.jpg[/atsimg]

I'm shameless huh...

Naw, looks like a Fisher spider to me.
I don't suppose you hit the tint button while resizing it?
It's amazing dark...

(My little friend above is a carnivorous jumping spider - adds new meaning to *say it with a smile*.)

[edit on 30-5-2009 by silo13]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

I hope you're not superstitious!

An old saying about grass spiders: when there is dew on their webs in the lawn in the morning, it will be a beautiful day.

All spiders except tarantulas are omens of good luck. The larger the spider, the bigger the rewards.

If you see a spider climbing the wall you will have your dearest wish come true.

If you see a spider spinning a web you will have an increase in your income due to hard work.

When spiders spin their webs 'fore noon, Sunny weather's coming soon.

If a spider crawls into you pocket, you will always have money.

If a spider hangs over your head, you will get a letter.

If a spider builds its web across your door, you can expect company.

If you walk into a spider web, you will meet a friend that day.

Kill a spider, bad luck yours will be - Until of flies you've swatted fifty-three.

If you step on a spider, you'll bring on rain.

Superstitious people probably don't kill spiders because it has been unlucky since a spider spun a web over baby Jesus to hide him from Herod.

A spider with syrup cures fever.

Seeing a spider run down a web in the afternoon means you'll take a trip.

A spider is a repellent against plague when worn around the neck in a walnut shell.

Seen running over clothes - a new set of clothes

Finding a spider in the morning - Sorrow
Finding a spider at midday - Anxiety
A spider in the afternoon is a sign of a gift; But a spider in the evening will all hopes uplift.

Finding a Spider on the Wedding Dress is a Omen of Good luck!

If a spider drops down in front of you from the ceiling and dangles, do not kill it. If the spider hangs and then goes back up to the ceiling, you are due for a run of good luck. If, however, the spider dangles and then drops, it foretells the sudden loss of a loved one or some other personally catastrophic event.

LINK

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Some information on how to identify a spider you find in your house.

^_^

This thread is quite a bit old, I'm sure the OP has already identified it. Or forgot. But if not, I compiled some resources for how to identify different sorts of creatures.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Possibly a cardinal spider. Not sure.

This big black thing may have come from a shipment of bananas too, but those guys aren't usually black.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Nevermind. It was already identified.

[edit on 5/30/2009 by ravenshadow13]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join