It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People have Faith in Aliens/UFO's why not God?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny
Funny, I see evidence of God constantly. I can't avoid it. Sunrises, violent thunderstorms, my wife, the awesome energy of this planet.....God surrounds us......

Sunrises: The Earth turns on its axis to face the star light.

Thunderstorms: Turbulent layers of air pockets and currents precipitating.

Your wife: A female that stimulates sexual responses in you.

Energy of a planet? Exactly what does that mean?

God may surround you, but it does not surround me. It doesn't exist.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
God does not project on me. It can't, it doesn't exist.

I'm saddened that you feel that way. Have a nice evening.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Funny, I see evidence of God constantly. I can't avoid it. Sunrises, violent thunderstorms, my wife, the awesome energy of this planet.....God surrounds us......

I see so much suffering on earth that I cant avoid the feeling he doesn't exist. Some nice weather or a good looking woman wont change that.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I find it very hard to have FAITH in most anything.
I think there might be a chance that there could be GOD but also I think there might be a chance that there could be ALIENS, but I do not have faith that either exist or that either could be seen touch and held or proven.
I know a little weird but how can you believe in a lie or worse have faith that the lie is real?
I have read the bible many times and have seen many alien pictures and seen many photos of ufos but I do not have faith for them.
If ALIENS are real or if GOD is real it would have to be proven as factual with evidence to support it and I can't see that happening soon,if ever.
How do you know enough to have faith in anything, and how do you know you are not believing a lie to begin with?

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
I see so much suffering on earth that I cant avoid the feeling he doesn't exist.

You're absolutely right, it makes it very difficult to maintain the faith. But the suffering is just as much of life and living as the happiness. God doesn't cause suffering, or 'allow it to happen'....no more than God causes happiness....as free willed humans...that is our job. Jesus Christ taught that the Father says love everyone as you want to be loved....its that freaking simple....

So deny God...fine.....just don't be hating.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I dont hate (well except those who knock on my door preaching one religion or another
)

Religion is such a non existent thing for me that Ive never once asked any girlfriend about her religion. Now you cannot say that about religious people, Catholics seeing protestants, Jews seeing Muslims? Now thats hating.

If god is everywhere, he sees the suffering and thus, allows it to happen because he doesnt stop it.

[edit on 8-3-2007 by Flyer]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
I see so much suffering on earth that I cant avoid the feeling he doesn't exist.

You're absolutely right, it makes it very difficult to maintain the faith. But the suffering is just as much of life and living as the happiness. God doesn't cause suffering, or 'allow it to happen'....no more than God causes happiness....as free willed humans...that is our job. Jesus Christ taught that the Father says love everyone as you want to be loved....its that freaking simple....

Keep movin', movin', movin',
Though they're disapprovin',
Keep them doggies movin' Rawhide!
Don't try to understand 'em,
Just rope and throw and grab 'em,
Soon we'll be living high and wide.
Boy my heart's calculatin'
For God will be a waitin', be waiting at the end of our ride.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I was brought up as a Catholic, went through a Catholic school etc etc but now that i'm old enough to 'think for myself' it makes me sick to see anyone running their life by a religion.

I've distanced myself from the Church, and now call myself Agnostic.

Watch a mass at church. Get a list of the characteristics that they label a 'cult' with and try to tick them off for the church as the mass progresses.

Chanting: tick
Authoritarian / Higher figure: tick
Higher figure is great, we live to serve him/her: tick
Do as you're told or you are doomed: tick...

and the list goes on.

Once that thought occurred to me, i lost the small faith i had in organized Religion. It is just lies sold bred into children at a young age, so they can pass on the lies when they get older.

What makes me believe in UFO's over a God is simply that there is far more evidence for the prior. Don't see no videos or photos of god... Not to mention my own personal experience with a UFO.

Case is closed for me
I feel sorry for the poor, brainwashed religious people.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
I was brought up as a Catholic, went through a Catholic school etc etc but now that i'm old enough to 'think for myself' it makes me sick to see anyone running their life by a religion.

I've distanced myself from the Church, and now call myself Agnostic.

Watch a mass at church. Get a list of the characteristics that they label a 'cult' with and try to tick them off for the church as the mass progresses.

Chanting: tick
Authoritarian / Higher figure: tick
Higher figure is great, we live to serve him/her: tick
Do as you're told or you are doomed: tick...

and the list goes on.

Once that thought occurred to me, i lost the small faith i had in organized Religion. It is just lies sold bred into children at a young age, so they can pass on the lies when they get older.

What makes me believe in UFO's over a God is simply that there is far more evidence for the prior. Don't see no videos or photos of god... Not to mention my own personal experience with a UFO.

Case is closed for me
I feel sorry for the poor, brainwashed religious people.

Fooff, if you read my posts, you will understand...I feel the exact same way. I even use 'brainwashing' once or twice. I understand exactly what your saying as well. If for instance, parents had stopped brainwashing their children with this stuff even just 100 years ago, everyone would stop believing all of this junk by now. Its the repeating cycle of ignorance: Your parents are ignorant, they teach you how to big ignorant, you teach your children how to be ignorant, and the cycle continues.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
ok, so let's say extraterrestrials created humanity, or manipulated humanity. then god created everything including the extraterrestrials. then the bible says something to this effect, "he is the Alpha and Omega, he has no beginning and no end" who did create god? he can't just be! i mean if you are dealing with creation, who did create god!? did he create himself? it's just one vicious circle that will break you apart. the theory of god just doesn't make sense. if anything makes some sense is that we are a collective energy, we are the same, no gods, just the same collective energy force. but then you have to ask, who created this energy force, and who created the one that created this energy force?

edit=typo

[edit on 8-3-2007 by souls]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   
For me
Nothing in my mind will ever shake the fact that there is one God.
For you, you shouldn't doubt HIS existance because you can pull what you feel is right from whatever religion or text feels right to you.
Jesus to me is not the important part in my faith. My faith deals in a multi-layered perspective on things I learn everyday.
As a baptized, confirmed Roman Catholic, I have no problem letting go of Jesus because I took and believe that he was a prophet. But there is a God he was praying to.
Aliens (I hate that word) - have also to obey a higher power than there own simply because they fault as well as us. Perhaps those they answer to also need to answer to a higher power, and so on.

The God I know and pray to is all powerful over absolutely everything.
So when you doubt yourself or your beliefs, change them to suit yourself and what makes you comfortable.

I believe there is one rule everyone can follow and be OK in any realm.

It is - love your neibour. that's it.

Peace my brother.
Aliens have nothing on you.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I wish we could separate out 'Belief in God' from Religion for just 5 minutes - it would make this discussion a lot easier.

Sure, pretty much everyone who is religious believes in God - but not everyone who believes in God is religious.

First we need to look at what we're talking about. Are we comparing belief in God to belief in UFOs, or to belief in aliens? Two very different things. If we're talking about belief in aliens, then there's as much evidence for their existence as there is for the existence of God. If we're talking about UFOs, then the very U gives us the out to mean that most evidence is meaningless. What, you can prove that something exists which flies which we are unable to identify? Whoopee for you.

If we're talking about aliens, there is no proof. Most of the photos that have come out have been dismissed as hoaxes, and those that haven't aren't good evidence otherwise they would be enough to convince the masses. If we're talking about eyewitness testimony, then aliens & God come in tied on this one. After all, what is the bible if not a book full of eyewitness testimony? What about the people since biblical times who have claimed to have an encounter with God?

I'm not saying the testimony for the existence of God is better than the testimony for the existence of aliens - I'm saying they're both about the same.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   

If they had evidence to support that belief, then why not?

Wait a minute, are you saying you think sunrises and thunderstorms are created by a God? If you don't mind me asking, what is you level of education? Be honest now!

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
as far as religion goes, some people here are right in accordance to what makes sense to me. religion is bs, really, if you are offended that's my opinion. how can so many people follow a belief that they have been told is correct since they are kids based on books that are so old, we only think we know were they might have come from but do we really know? i dunno if someone pointed this out yet but a perfect example is "Jesus Camp". wtf is that! pray for bush! soldiers of christ! then we have all the wars in history, all the dead bodies resulting on the spread of religion or jihad. some would say, "well, don't judge everybody by what some blasphemers did or have done. we are not like that we promote love, and unity" bs, everything revolves around it's history. if you promote love and unity, don't use religion, just promote love and unity not gods and icons, jesus, mohammed, whatever, we get the point. If anything is good about religion is the spirituality, not a selfish, punishing god, that sends this guys down with a couple of tricks down their sleeves. you know what, jesus probably was real, i bet you mary got abducted by extraterrestrials and was artificially inseminated with jesus, you know a hybrid. then with his mind power and alliance to his creators, helped manipulate mankind into total mind control. but then again that's just speculation.

edit=typos and such

[edit on 8-3-2007 by souls]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by pompano

Wait a minute, are you saying you think sunrises and thunderstorms are created by a God? If you don't mind me asking, what is you level of education? Be honest now!

Without putting words in the OP's mouth, I think he/she was referring to beauty in nature and seeing that as an indication of intelligent design behind it. I think it's argumentative to pretend that just because someone sees evidence of God in the beauty of nature it means that they don't realise that science has explained how these things happen. Science doesn't explain the beauty in them. Science doesn't understand beauty.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Could it be the fact that religions seem to talk about Peace alot, yet most Wars have been based on religion? Aliens havent seemed to be hypocritical yet, so why believe in something that lies to you (a peaceful religous war) when you could believe in something more likely, (i know somones gona hate me for saying that) because you know... if there IS a god... dont you think he would make life on another planet as well? or maybe there is TWO gods? (one at this planet and one on another?) hmm... really boggles the mind...

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It's impossible for aliens to be hypocritical. To be hypocritical is to say one thing and do another. Official, the aliens haven't said anything, therefore they can't be hypocritical.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheStev
After all, what is the bible if not a book full of eyewitness testimony? What about the people since biblical times who have claimed to have an encounter with God?

The Bible is a book of UNVERIFIABLE eyewitness testimony. In other words, stories and fairytales.

The Bible was written in antiquity and NONE of the people in it can be cross examined to ascertain the nature of their eyewitness reports. They are all long dead.

Recent and current UFO/Alien sightings are reported by living people who can be cross examined to verify the legitimacy of their story. These stories have not been diluted by the passing of time, or twisting of imagery that we see in the Bible.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
But they're still just claims made by people. As I say, what about the hundreds of people every year (if not more) who claim to have a divine experience or claim that God has spoken to them?

And how many of the witnesses that you refer to have you personally interviewed in order to verify their claims? So really, you're hinging your beliefs on hearsay.

And interviewing those who have experienced UFO encounters will never verify the legitimacy of their claims - it can only verify whether or not they truly believe what they claim happened to them. Whether it happened or not cannot be verified by witnesses, no matter how much you interview them.

[edit on 8-3-2007 by TheStev]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheStev

Originally posted by pompano

Without putting words in the OP's mouth, I think he/she was referring to beauty in nature and seeing that as an indication of intelligent design behind it. I think it's argumentative to pretend that just because someone sees evidence of God in the beauty of nature it means that they don't realise that science has explained how these things happen. Science doesn't explain the beauty in them. Science doesn't understand beauty.

Come on now, beauty is a perception. You know that, don't you?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join