It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Atheists Atheists?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
Knowing Magnetic North means you always have a reference for what is right. You still have choice.

Everthing is Permissable..not everything is Beneficial.

Are you saying that only those that know God ie magnetic North know right from wrong, now thats a huge generalisation. My reference point for what is right has nothing to do with God, but rather what is beneficial for my family's well being, my own feeling of self worth to my community and to do these things without harming others.

Its keeping out the unguided choice and preventing that from being a standard. Examples ( Genocide, Hitler, Crimes against Man )

More examples: Inquisition, Crusades, Witch hunts, Paedophilia.

" Are you a Good Witch or a Bad Witch " What is Good?

Christ said only God is Good.

What is your definition of Good?

Overall i'd say i was a "Good Warlock" if i had to make a choice. (Gender issue)

If Christ said only God is Good, how can any man or woman be good.

My definition of Good is what i have already posted,
Caring for my Family
Caring for myself
Doing both of these things without impinging on anyone elses rights
Doing charitable works because I think its the right thing to do, not because i'm told it's the right thing to do.

Btw i have not always been good nor do i claim to be perfect at trying to lead a good life now, i have done things in my life that i'm not proud of, but i wouldnt change a thing nor will i change my beliefs to try and assuage the guilt of years past, the worms will judge me.

Peace to you too.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Athiesm read it ALL, THEN comment.

Now none of you have excuses for making adsurd assumptions. Just becuase I am Catholic doesn't give me the right to make false assumptions about others.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma."

- Abraham Lincoln, American president (1809-1865).

"I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religion than it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism."

"I do not believe in the immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it."

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

-Albert Einstein, German-born American physicist

[edit on 26-2-2007 by Selmer2]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Selmer2, interesting quotations. I guess Abraham Lincoln and Albert Einstein were not as inspirational as I thought they were.

Is it more inspirational to listen to a person who says we live on earth and then die, or to a person who says worship God during your earth-days and have Eternal Life?

A frequent argument of atheists is that God cannot be scientifically proven. They often fail to see that they are assuming what they are proving: they use science to assume science to prove science. Everything is unprovable at the human level.

Scientists frequently scientifically measure events by power units. Thus, they realize that many events in the Universe are near Infinitely greater in power than the power of all the humans of history. What if One Supreme Being controlled all these more powerful events?

Faith, hope, and courage come from a personal relationship with God.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
I guess Abraham Lincoln and Albert Einstein were not as inspirational as I thought they were.

Is it more inspirational to listen to a person who says we live on earth and then die, or to a person who says worship God during your earth-days and have Eternal Life?

Because they no longer agree with your point of view they are no longer inspirational

Neither of your examples are inspirational, i'm inspired by many people, some believers, some not, it is not their beliefs that are inspirational but their deeds.

Originally posted by GreatTechA frequent argument of atheists is that God cannot be scientifically proven. They often fail to see that they are assuming what they are proving: they use science to assume science to prove science. Everything is unprovable at the human level.

I'm thick today, could i have that in English please. (joking)

Originally posted by GreatTechScientists frequently scientifically measure events by power units. Thus, they realize that many events in the Universe are near Infinitely greater in power than the power of all the humans of history. What if One Supreme Being controlled all these more powerful events?

And what if One didnt!!

Originally posted by GreatTechFaith, hope, and courage come from a personal relationship with God.

Or from a close relationship with Humanity.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale

Caring for my Family
Caring for myself
Doing charitable works because I think its the right thing to do, not because i'm told it's the right thing to do.

How can you get your fellow man to practice your basic fundamentals?
Rights? Who said we have rights?
Who gave us those rights?
Just what is the Right thing to do.

Captain...they have no compass

Peace

[edit on 26-2-2007 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale

Caring for my Family
Caring for myself

How can you get your fellow man to practive your basic fundamentals?

Peace

Ill answer your first question before you edited your post. Go to the library theres thousands of books on how to help others, how to live good lives, how to care for your family and friends, not all of them religious either.

A lot of Atheists already follow these fundamentals, as do religious folk, you dont own the rights on good deeds or thoughts. Please.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Rights? Who said we have rights?
Who gave us those rights?

Well, we gave ourselves rights, did women have the right to vote in the 18th century, how did they get the right to vote, did God give it to them, NO, they won that right for themselves.

Originally posted by HIFIGUY Just what is the Right thing to do.

Your asking me! I'm an Atheist how should i know, i'm too busy polishing my horns and sharpening my fangs according to you guys.

Originally posted by HIFIGUYCaptain...they have no compass

Hmmm going back to the compass analogy, remember, your compass is stuck on one direction (magnetic north), whereas we can travel in any direction except north, i prefer the latter, there is a lot more to see, do, experience, love, hate, touch, feel and so on.
This isnt how i really feel about those that believe, this is your analogy not mine.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
A thought for atheists:

The second we fail to worship God is a second we lose to Hell.

The second we worship God is a second we gain to Heaven.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   

A thought for atheists:

well, you're arguing under the assumptions that:
1: there is a god
2: said being would want to be worshipped
3: if said being wanted to be worshipped, it would punish those who wouldn't

honestly, is your god insecure?
or just a sociopath?

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   

A thought for atheists:

A thought for people that assume things:

The second we assume with judgement is a second we lose to being judged by God. ( see Matthew 7, Luke 6:37)

The second we learn to tolerate / find common understanding is a second we gain to Heaven.

GreatTech, if you can't live by your own beliefs why would others conform on your say so? I am happy that your happy, so am I with my beliefs (I am Catholic). But your posts have been inappropriate and you are promoting segregation (yes you are read upwards) which oppose the pure Abrahamic religions.

did you read the wikipedia Athiest link I posted? If not read it before another post please.

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
hmm.

"Why are Atheists Atheists?"

my best answer:

Because God made them that way, in his image?

If we were all like atheists .... wouldn't there be far less national holidays, and fewer days off throughout the year?

More work sounds like less fun.

Atheism wants to steal my God's birthday!

[edit on 27-2-2007 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Selmer2
But your posts have been inappropriate and you are promoting segregation (yes you are read upwards) which oppose the pure Abrahamic religions.

I am not promoting segregation but only unity!!! If you were the only believing person on earth and the rest were atheists would you be fulfilling God's two most important commandments of loving Him first and neighbor second if you did not encourage your neighbor to believe in God? I love and care about atheists but they have some time before they can live in the glory of Heaven and worship God constantly; the sooner the atheists make the change, the better off they are.

Do not judge, lest you be judged, yes, but make an earnest effort to help!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Why am I an Atheists?

I help other people, life, spirit, etc. because I want to, not for reward, a ticket to heaven or to get into anyones good grace. If there is a God, he/she/it should understand, if not then I am even more thankful that I did not waste my time worshipping something I find undeserving of my attention.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

If we were all like atheists .... wouldn't there be far less national holidays, and fewer days off throughout the year?

More work sounds like less fun.

[edit on 27-2-2007 by Esoteric Teacher]
Why do you always assume that things would be radically different if the world was atheistic??
There might be more holidays, better living, less wars, less confrontation etc.

I love and care about atheists but they have some time before they can live in the glory of Heaven and worship God constantly; the sooner the atheists make the change, the better off they are.

Do not judge, lest you be judged, yes, but make an earnest effort to help!!!
I dont want to make any change - and I can assure you that I will NEVER worship any deity(ies) - I see no need for them.

But please stop assuming that the world would be any worse off if the majorityof the population were atheistic. I mean religion hasn't done a very good job so far and I for one would be very interested in an atheistic world view.

G

Edn

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   

A thought for atheists:

Says who? you? Because god certenly didn't say that.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ixiy
Why am I an Atheists?

I help other people, life, spirit, etc. because I want to, not for reward, a ticket to heaven or to get into anyones good grace. If there is a God, he/she/it should understand, if not then I am even more thankful that I did not waste my time worshipping something I find undeserving of my attention.

I too had an issue with the word "Worship"

But in fact by helping other people, you honor Christ, and by honoring him you honor the father. That is my understanding of Worship.

Ixiy, and all the others here who claim they are Atheist..to do what we know is good is the right thing to do. On your own, without guidance, you operate under natural law.

It has occurred to me. that in being overbearing Believers...or trying to force a belief down someone’s throat may be repulsive to potential believers and can even create hostility to Atheists and other faiths.

Everyone walks in a path of discovering the Truth. It took me years...
and Saint4God can attest, I wasnt really sure what was happening to me! lol

Your are Atheists by choice and reasons of your own. If the balance of those Atheist were to act as many of the Good Atheists here have stated, perhaps we can obtain change in the world.

I’m not against you, I’m for you as people and the good works that one does do.

The Command is Love one another. To do the Command is to honor the one who issued it, whether they be known or not.

It is we who are believers, who must honor other portions of what has been commanded.

I am not going to make an enemy of an Atheist if they are promoting love thy neighbor as thyself and peace on earth Goodwill towards men.

As a man of God, it would be my hope, that in my company, perhaps they would see something else. And it is here, that I speak to Christians, not Atheists. They will know who you are by your actions...no only your words.

Promote Goodness...first. The rest will be known in time.

Peace

[edit on 27-2-2007 by HIFIGUY]

[edit on 27-2-2007 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by shizzle5150
I am sorry I am not intelligent enough and think to highly about myself. Did you even read the part about helping others who are not as fortunate to do the same? Is that self centered or unintelligent? Maybe I misunderstood you and I hope thats the case, if not I really do not appreciate your snide remarks.

please let me know if I have taken you the wrong way because you damn sure have me the wrong way. It is not ats practice to take shots at people like that and if I have done anything to merit that kind of treatment please point me to it.

[edit on 25-2-2007 by shizzle5150]

Just basing it on most athiests, and I really dont care if you help the less fortunate, an athiest to me is either too stupid to phathom a spiritual side or think theyre too good for a religion. You can hug as many tress as you want and feed starving little kids, still wont change my mind.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This all makes me think of Ezekiel 25:17

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeange upon you.

The way I see that passage is the "poisoned" ones and those who attempt to "destroy my brothers" are athiests. I see myself as the righteous man who shephards the weak through the valley of darkness by opposing against them. I dont believe in spreading God because my belief is very unorthodox and those who choose not to awknowledge any religion should be at war with the believers. Kind of like being a new age crusader under my own banner.

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by RomanianDacianHun
Ezekiel 25:17

The way I see that passage is the "poisoned" ones and those who attempt to "destroy my brothers" are athiests.

um, how so?

I see myself as the righteous man who shephards the weak through the valley of darkness by opposing against them. I dont believe in spreading God because my belief is very unorthodox

ok, that's good for you

and those who choose not to awknowledge any religion should be at war with the believers.

are you referencing atheists here?

posted on Feb, 27 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Because they have been deceived by the prince of lies.:shk::shk:

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join