It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visiting the US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Wifey and I are toying with the idea to visit the US probaly New York, has anyone got advice on the best area to stay in for sight seeing etc. Much appreciated.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Considering how you feel about America -

www.abovepolitics.com...
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

perhaps the best place for you to visit in New York would be The United Nations. That way you could spend your day with the other anti-Americans complaining about big bad America.

Why the heck do you want to visit when you hate us so much?

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Honestly man....

New York is cool. But that's not America.

If you want to know why Americans feel the way they do about certain topics that you Liberal types don't seem to grasp...

Go to some small towns across the plains, visit Colorodo, Ohio and Illinois. Alabama, Mississippi and see not all Americans are arrogant stuck up snobs but hard working mostly poor down to earth folks.

You can visit New York. Its just like LA, Miami, they have their own cultures but to do represent the true insight to America. It is the little town folk that elect the presidents, just look at the map of the last election.. almost all red save the states with huge cities.

Visit rural Oregon and Washington (Portland and Seatle as well, my favorite cities) astoinding scenery and plenty of interesting people.

You will find New Yorkers to be of their own kind.. and absolutly NOTHING like the people from Seattle.

Visit Texas (I know Bush is from there.... so you might not want to) but it truly is a place of its own.. San Antonio is an amazing south western city.

Visit some national parks across the West.. and Colorod, cant miss Colorodo.

Visiting one generic place is not seeing the country.. New York city has plenty of expensive shops and fancy diners.. expensive plays as well and lots of big shiny buildings.. but there is no scenery.. the people IMO are not the nicest.. nothing against New York City, I have family that live on Long Island (trust me rich neighborhoods and sectors like those on Long Island do not represnt 95% of the American people.

But it is all up to you. If you want to see the country for what it is.. visit as many locations as possible. If you want a generic hectic rush of a visit and get nothing out of it except Americans are rude, crude, loud, expensive, and love cabs.... then have fun in New York. It isnt that bad of a place

We are a very large nation.. all 50 states have their own way of doing things.. It would be like me visiting Great Britain and only going to London and judging the rich London shops, huge houses and palaces as the same for every one in Whales, Scottland and North Ireland and every little town inbetween.

I think the trip could do you some good.... if you come for the right reasons.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Hello Flyers, who said I hate Americans, their is good and bad in all of us its just that we humans have a habit of letting the devil out of us instead of the good. America is an interesting place with interesting people the country is relatively young on the world stage but has had a colourful start.

Rock thanks for the advice I always travel for the right reasons, to mix with the locals, eat the food learn about the country and enjoy it all, at the moment France and Germany are my favourite places, France because I love all things French and Germany because wifey has German blood in her.

When travelling and meeting the local populace their perceptions of you are always interesting and are quite suprised when they realise their preconseptions are wrong.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
There are so many different things to do in NY. You have to try times square. Just walk around and be amazed at the many unique things you'll see.
Walk down 42nd street, and there is almost nothing that you won't see. It borders on hedonism. You definately have to check out the SOHO area. There are so many different, and various cultures there. One street is Italian, the next is Chinese, and so on. The restaurants and shops are really cool. Visit the Statue of Liberty. Go to Central Park - you'll be amazed that something like this is surrounded by Manhattan. Broadway? If you're into the Theater thing - there is absolutley none better. Harlem has some amazing music scenes.

New York, is amazing. As said previously, New Yorkers are a breed of their own. I go to NY several times a week for work, and I love it there.
You're only a little more than an hour away from Philadelphia when you're in NY. Philly is a great place to visit as well, very rich in History, and culture. I live in Philly and obviously am biased! When you're in Philly, you're about an hour away from Atlantic City in one direction, and Amish country in another direction. Talk about 2 opposite ends of the spectrum!!!

If you're into the music scene, then you have to check out Chicago. I love Chicago! Fantastic music, fantastic restaurants, great comedy clubs, and it's right on one of the Great Lakes. Amazing city.

Visit Wyoming, or Colorado if you're into the skiing thing. Go to Aspen if you want to rub elbows with the Rich & Famous, or Jackson Hole if you want to see REAL cowboys, in a real cowboy town. The Million Dollar Cowboy bar has saddles, rather than bar stools.

Go to San Francisco - yet another great city. If you get bored in San Francisco, then you don't have a pulse. Then rent a car and drive down the California coast on route 101. You have Mountains on one side of you, and the Pacific Ocean on the other side. The views are absolutely breathtaking, and you can go to Los Angeles, or continue driving right down to San Diego. You'll need a couple of days.

Want to PARTY? New Orleans is the place for you. There is nothing that you won't find to do in New Orleans. If you can imagine it, you can find it there. It's like Amsterdam in the US.

If you have any questions, let me know.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Hi MM. Well, I think the Grand Canyon just shouldn't be missed. To me, it's the most beautiful and awesome sight in the U.S. Also, the redwoods in Northern California and the coast between that and Santa Barbara, just north of Los Angeles. If you only see those 2 things, you will have done well. Personally, I would skip New York unless you have lots of money and want to see Broadway shows. Though for that you could go to London. NY is another huge, dirty city where it costs just to breathe the air (which isn't very clean either). Nothing against NY, I just don't think that it should be on the top of the list for foreign visitors.

Then there are all the historic things to see in Washington, D.C., not the least of which is the Smithsonian Museum which is fascinating and will take you at least 3 days to go thru, if not longer.

Don't forget the Smoky Mountains and the Appalachian Mountains - much biodiversity and a way of life that is fast disappearing and which is far different from anything else you will find in the U.S. The people are very friendly and love to talk and find out about outsiders and they have a very rich culture and history, so much of it coming from England. You can still find traces of the Elizabethan language that was spoken in these parts, and the mountain music also comes from Ireland, Scotland and England.

But by far, I think the redwoods and the Grand Canyon. If you go to the Grand Canyon, you will also pass through "Indian country" to learn about the culture of the First Americans, as I like to call them.

When are you planning on traveling here?

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
YES forestlady I forgot DC!

That is truly an amazing place to visit... I loved being there, the buildings them selves give off a feel that is unknown anywhere except DC.

I think if you visit New York, take a trip into Pennsylvania and visit both Philidelphia, a true and old American city.. and visit Gettysburg.

Looks like you've got a trip cut out for you with all the advice, hope you can get a long holiday.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Thanks lom and Forestlady, normally I book all our holidays well in advance but due to ongoing health problems and awaiting to hear from hospital consultants, so I'm not booking anything just yet but a visit in the summer would be nice.

new topics

top topics

join