It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: Attack on UK foiled.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 08:35 AM
link   
BOO!!!

Now quickly children... hide under your beds!

My prediction: This will fall apart just like the "Liquid Bomb Plot" did!
BRITAIN: The mysterious case of the disappearing 'terror’ plots
Alleged Liquid Bomb Plot Credibility Crumbles
UK 'plot' terror charge dropped

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
while this is scary and frightening etc, this is hardly a "major terror attack" per the title of the thread.

Agreed. When I saw the thread title, I was thinking something else had happened today along with the first string of arrests. Though I don't undervalue the life of this one Muslim officer, it is not what I think of in terms of a "major terrorist attack."

Interesting though to watch how the simple change of wording can incite different emotions/reactions.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   

while this is scary and frightening etc, this is hardly a "major terror attack" per the title of the thread.

At the time this thread was made .. The reports on the news where only that a major terror attack had been foiled then no other details, So this is the fault of media rather than the poster,

Though, for some the title would be correct, ok take out the (Major ) bit,

Terror: causing panic, This will surly cause some unrest here in the UK for many people,

Though for Army I'm sure its not any different for how they normally feel,
There always a soft target etc,

ie just look back on the Irish happenings years ago,

oh and we need to keep remembering to say *Alleged*

I have edited the title as not to confuse people,

[edit on 31-1-2007 by asala]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I just saw this on the morning news and THEY are calling it a major terror attack.
They also commented that the plan was to create a beheading video, which have become common in Iraq.

As other posters have pointed out, this was not a 'Major terror plot', but the media wants to hype it that way.
Also, I can only think of the CIA/Mossad Nick Berg beheading in Irag.
Have I missed others?

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   
oh look the prison crisis has just gone away

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Denied
More information coming out....

A serving Muslim soldier in the British Army was allegedly about to be abducted, tortured and beheaded by terrorists in the UK, Sky News has learned.
The revelation follows the arrest of eight people in the Birmingham area this morning under the Terrorism Act.

More follows . . .

So does everyone think this is all propaganda, or an extreme group trying to incite violence?

Link.

bingo! unlawful detention of 'terrorists' is wearing a bit thin but if there is a foiled attack then the public will feel like they're being protected.

and as the above poster mentions, now the prison crisis (and the sex offenders that were apparently free) dont exist anymore. The government goes from failing supremely to protecting the nation from harm. Not bad for a day's work!

"So does everyone think this is all propaganda, or an extreme group trying to incite violence?"

I think its both, but they are infact the same group. Lets just say im not talking about muslims here...

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This is hardly an attack on Britain if the kidnapping was directed towards a muslim soldier. Probably another chatroom bust of 16 year olds again.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   

By 11Bravo
As other posters have pointed out, this was not a 'Major terror plot', but the media wants to hype it that way.

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
This is hardly an attack on Britain if the kidnapping was directed towards a muslim soldier. Probably another chatroom bust of 16 year olds again.

When this story broke, it was claimed to be a major attack on the UK foiled.
The media has changed their wording, and just goes to show to remember what the main stream media is like.....well for me anyways.

[edit on 31-1-2007 by Denied]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Yeah Im watching my local noon news and they keep saying MASSIVE terror plot thwarted, then they go on to say it was against one man.
Where does the MASSIVE part come in?

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
This is hardly an attack on Britain if the kidnapping was directed towards a muslim soldier.

Was he not a soldier in the... wait for it... Brittish Army? I think so.

I think we need to wait for a little more information on this matter before we all start applauding ourselves for having uncovered yet another charade of the UK government attempting to 'scare' the public into submission so that they can take over the world or whatever.

I am confident that the police is going to issue a public statement making clear what the charges against these people are. I watched the news for about an hour this evening and must admit that Sky news becomes obsessed with whatever story they are covering at the time. And it can easlily be understood as 'the media' stirring fear and paranoia in the public. But I think they just enjoy covering these stories.

As for whether this is a major threat or not. Think about the last time this happened and the numerous hours of air-time on global television the terrorists got. Think about the psychological blow such a thing inflicts upon a nation. It may only be one man, but the public will see it as an outright failure of their government to protect them as well as a failure to thwart terrorism itself which has been placed so high on the countries agenda.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
It looks like they considered any Muslim in the British military that fights other Muslims as traitors and must be beheaded on the internet to inspire others to join Jihad as well as to deter other Muslims from fighting as to make an example of this soldier.

BIRMINGHAM, England - Counterterrorism police arrested nine men in an alleged kidnapping plot Wednesday — a plan that reportedly involved torturing and beheading a British Muslim soldier and broadcasting the killing on the Internet.

Birmingham is the hometown of Britain's first Muslim soldier to be killed in Afghanistan last year — a death that prompted militant Islamist Web sites to denounce Cpl. Jabron Hashmi, 24, as a traitor. One site — that of extremist British sect al-Ghurabaa — posted an image of the soldier surrounded by flames.

Last year, a London street vendor was sentenced to six years in prison in a plot to kill a decorated British soldier. Abu Baker Mansha was accused of targeting Cpl. Mark Byles, whose address and other materials, were found in Mansha's apartment.

Byles was awarded a military cross for bravery following an attack in which several Iraqi insurgents were killed — exploits covered by British newspapers. One of the articles with Byles' name was circled and found in Mansha's apartment.

The Defense Ministry said 330 Muslims are serving in the British armed forces. It would not comment on reports that the intended victim was a soldier.

news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 31-1-2007 by asala]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo
Yeah Im watching my local noon news and they keep saying MASSIVE terror plot thwarted, then they go on to say it was against one man.
Where does the MASSIVE part come in?

I would say that the MASSIVE part would be if it was real and they did happen to get their hostage and kill him and its proclaimed to be by the hands of Muslim extremists then your MASSIVE part would be just about to unfold.

No Muslim in England would be safe, all would be viewed with suspicion and very likely there would be a backlash all across the UK, innocent people from all walks would be caught up in a upsurge of religious or colour orientated attacks.

Come the summer over here I reckon you will see a fair few riots happening, not against the state but against areas were ethnics are the majority and vice versa against areas deemed to be white majority.

Wolfie

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Seems this was not intended for just "one" person.

Some sources have indicated that up to 25 people were possible victims.

Source.

Actually, putting aside the media hype up of this, the implications of this would be bad.

I was thinking, could an extreme group in the US do the same, and what implications and emotions would that invoke?

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Denied

I was thinking, could an extreme group in the US do the same, and what implications and emotions that would that invoke?

Pissed off probably, we got thousands of Muslims serving in the U.S. military. Treat them like any other American soldier no matter what religion they are in, with respect.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by leejones
oh look the prison crisis has just gone away

Thats not quite true, when this is all over they are going to have to find another 9 prison places to put all these nasty nasty terroists, so they are really just puting the problem off!

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Maybe an EMP weapon. It would kill few but devastate london.

I still think they were going to erect a giant billboard next to the parliment building that was pro radical terrorist...a new level of propaganda. JK

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Thing I find scarier than the Conspiracy Theorists view that its all manufactured to ramp up the ante, is what if it were true?

A straw poll with the colleagues seem to indicate that this would be more horrific than the indesciminate bombings in London.

I fear for the Muslim community at large if the depth of feeling at work were transfered across UK.

It would not be the first time in British history that we targeted a racial group and murdered them or expelled them.

IP

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
an EMP weapon, come on they can't even get their backbacks to go off properly.

Not being funny, but if they were half the the operation the press would have us belive, they would not be getting simple kidnappings or bombings wrong, how often did the IRA screw up in the UK?

Its all smoke and mirrors methinks!

[edit on 31-1-2007 by 2ciewan]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   
It sounds to me as though Leslie Powers has been on the job again.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I've just been on the BBC website to see how this story is going. The investigation is going to take days or even weeks, blah blah and then nothing is going to come off it anyway. What gets me is the comment by some of the residents, things like:

" Mr Vannat, who is treasurer of the Stratford Road Business Association, said the police cordons had snarled up traffic - making it difficult for people to go shopping - while the arrests could give outsiders a bad impression of the area.

"The traffic is horrendous, it's affecting people's livelihoods. We're shocked by the arrests, it's going to generate negative publicity in the media."

Oh, the inconvenience of not being able to go shopping!!!!!!

And last night on the news the neighbour of one of the men arrested said:
I'm sure he had nothing to do with it, I have known him for years, in fact I've grown up with him and he is a nice and hardworking man. People probably said the same about Hitler when he was growing up and look what happened there.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join