It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would legal prostitution stop sexual predators?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Latley with the dateline shows and the MSM focus on pedophiles and sexual deviants, it makes me wonder how much this would be a problem if prostitution was legalized. Would this affect the amount of rapes and sexual assaults? Would open access to mercenary sex lead to a decrease in sexual violence?

This seems like a very valid line of questioning in the kind of world that finds serial rapists and pedophile being featured on the news.

Should we legalize prostitution? What are the pros and cons of doing so?

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 05:01 AM
link   
well yes I think prostitution should be legalized. Not just for the reasons you state but just because if a person choses to do so who is the government to step in and arrest them?

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 05:05 AM
link   
How will legal prostitution stop pedophiles? Those freaks are only 'interested' in children. I doubt the ability to get more sex would stop them.

But for most other cases, yeah, legalizing prostitution would perhaps curb the rape statistics.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Prostitution is legal where I am, I'm not sure whether the rape statistics have dropped or not, still seems to be plenty of news reports about them.

Legalizing prostitution isn't going to stop Pedophiles, they're sicko's that
prey on children.

Legalizing prostitution here, kept a lot of the Organized Crime element out
of the business, so we are led to believe anyway.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I support legalization of prostitution, for the reasons already mentioned. The government shouldn't be regulating what we do with our bodies.

But it won't stop rape. Rape isn't the result of not being able to get sex. And legal or not it's not hard to find a prostitute, so I doubt being legal would make much difference.

Rape is a power trip, not a sexual one. We'd do better changing the way violence is glorified in society, the way women are treated as objects, and the overly masculine behaviour of men, all perpetuated by the media and hollyweird.

(1) There are connections between a high rate of rape, the glorification of violence, the objectification of women, the encouragement of tough and aggressive behavior in men, and the prevalence of war.

Source

The type of society we live in, perpetuated by the elite through the media, hurts us all in many ways.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Would legal prostitution stop sexual predators?

You, more or less, answered your own question. No, it wouldn't stop predators. The whole nature of the predator is to stalk his victim. The thrill of the hunt is what drives him.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Paedophiles and sexual deviants do not buy sex so legalising prostitution will not stop the depraved from preying on young children or committing deviant acts.

As has been pointed out, prostitution is legal in Australia. We still have a big problem with paedophilia; we certainly have more than our fair share of rape attacks and deviant abuse surfaces as well.

Nothing will stop these low lifes.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady of the Lake
Paedophiles and sexual deviants do not buy sex so legalising prostitution will not stop the depraved from preying on young children or committing deviant acts.

As has been pointed out, prostitution is legal in Australia. We still have a big problem with paedophilia; we certainly have more than our fair share of rape attacks and deviant abuse surfaces as well.

Nothing will stop these low lifes.

Your right it wouldent stop the low lifes but it certanly does increase my desire to visit Australia
Just kidding. Honestly the toilet thing would freak me out too much.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Prostitution is legal in several places in the world and it has not stopped sexual predators from causing harm. Rape and molestation continue despite easy and legal access to sex workers.

If by "the toilet thing" you are referring to the water going down the drain in the opposite direction, that is a myth. The Coriolis effect, which causes ocean currents and major storms to turn one way in the northern hemisphere, and another way in the southern hemisphere, has absolutely no effect on which way the water drains down a toilet. I have been in both hemispheres and I can assure you that the only thing that effects which direction water drains, is the design of the toilet. You can look it up on the web if you wish to confirm this.

Draining bathtubs/toilets
A popular misconception is that the Coriolis effect determines the direction in which bathtubs or toilets drain, and whether water always drains in one direction in the Northern Hemisphere, and in the other direction in the Southern Hemisphere. This myth is perpetuated by the Simpsons episode "Bart Vs. Australia." In reality, the Coriolis effect is a few orders of magnitude smaller than other random influences on drain direction, such as the geometry of the sink, toilet, or tub; whether it is flat or tilted; and the direction in which water was initially added to it. Note that toilets typically are designed to only flush in one rotation, by having the flush water enter at an angle.
This is less of a puzzle once one remembers that the Earth revolves once per day but that a bathtub takes only seconds to drain. When the water is being drawn towards the drain, the radius with which it is spinning around it decreases, so its rate of rotation increases from the low background level to a noticeable spin in order to conserve its angular momentum (the same effect as ice skaters bringing their arms in to cause them to spin faster). -Wikipedia

The Coriolis effect

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 08:30 PM
link   
If I'm not mistaken, the majority of rapes are actually committed by someone who knows the victim. Or at least that's how it was in 1989 when the Medical book I learned that from was published. But still, as said before rape is about power. It's not as if it's too difficult to find prostitutes these days whether it's legal or not.

But like others have already commented, I too support it's legalization simply for the matter that governments have no business telling us what we can and cannot do so long as nobody is hurt by it involuntarily.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 02:36 AM
link   
They let 6 year old and up Hook.. I honestly would fight to the death to make sure that would never happen. These sicko's are only interested in a certain "brand" boy 5-8, etc. Giving them legal hookers would not help. Nothing can help these poor bastards. The only thing that can help them is chemical castration, and death.

With the people that are into regular women, men, what ever. They don't rape because they get off. They get off on holding power over these people. Majority of them don't get off in the act itself, its watching the other person being helpless in all of their mightyness that gets them off. Legal hookers aren't going to help....well unless there rich maybe.
[edit on 21-1-2007 by Royal76]

[edit on 21-1-2007 by Royal76]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Most ppl commiting rape do it not just to get sex it's the thrill of the rape that they seek. Like any repeat criminal it's not the act but the crime it's self that makes them want to do it.

Even with prostitution being illegal now you would be much safer to go and pay for services than risk getting caught for rape. Less jail time for soliciting for sex and less of a fine. Plus in many areas if your a convicted sex offender your looking at risking your life as well.

Making it legal might help with STDs if it was well monitored but would do little or nothing to stop sexual predators to think other wise is asking for the impossible.

Raist

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
It's about power and domination. These creatures have no control over any facet of their misbegotton existance, so they want to control something. what better than a child?

So, no; legalization of prostitution would not stop, or even appreciably affect the degree of child molestation in society. MHO.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
STDs would spared thoughout this country like a wild fire, prostitution would be a felony with no less than 2yrs in jail, if i had my way

[edit on 21-1-2007 by VoXiSo]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Isn't prostitution legal in parts of Nevada?

I'm sure there are just as much sexual predators in Nevada, so I doubt legalizing prostitution would be helpful in THAT matter. But if you talk about the prevention of STDs and safety for those women who actually work that "profession," I think that legalizing prostitution is really not a bad idea.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by k4rupt
Isn't prostitution legal in parts of Nevada?

I'm sure there are just as much sexual predators in Nevada, so I doubt legalizing prostitution would be helpful in THAT matter. But if you talk about the prevention of STDs and safety for those women who actually work that "profession," I think that legalizing prostitution is really not a bad idea.

No most people think so but prostitution is illegal in las vegas and all of nv

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
eerr....i dont know if u know but....prostitution is "legal" not legal, but "legal"
if u know what i mean

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoXiSo
STDs would spared thoughout this country like a wild fire, prostitution would be a felony with no less than 2yrs in jail, if i had my way

Not really if it was controlled by the state. Take Turkey for example, they have a walled in area in Istanbul (called the Compound). You enter through a gate and you have to check any baggage etc... Cameras are not allowed. All the 'girls' have to have regular check-ups and be certified clean of STD's.

Prostitution outside of these controlled areas is illegal.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
(Not all rapists are men, and not all men are rapists. But for this post, it's easier to discuss it when put in that parameter).

Rape is not about sex - that's only the way and the weapon. Rape is about control and anger - rage, if you will. There is a significant aspect to a rapist which is about expressing anger/rage, and their choice is often their penis. The anger/rage will not be solved by purchasing a woman's body (legally or not) because again, it's not about sexual gratification, but rather an expressing of a rage that is deepseated and has crossed with the sexual aspect of a man. Often, penile penetration is not achieved, nor is ejaculation. But the rapist is "satisfied" by the dominance and the power of control and dominance that is present in a rape situation.

Pedophelia is also about control, as well as sexual paraphelia, and that will not be solved by a grown woman/man who's offering themselves for sale (i.e. prostitution). The paraphelia is that a prepubescent child is sexually attractive - and that's the way it is to the pedophiles. The wires are crossed, somehow, and even if an adult prostitute is very young looking (lacks breasts and hip flexure, has shaved body hair, et cetera), knowing that the prostitute is of a certain age (i.e. of a majority) will prevent the pedophile from sexual release. Therefore, it is not a feasible solution for them; rather, they'll just prey on those around them, as they *know* the age and the "innocence" (again not to be found in a professional prostitute) of the prostitute is different than the portrayal.

Prostitution be legalized to address the above problems? That's not the solution. I don't know what the solution is, but I do know that this is not it.

If you compare statistical data for those places where prostitution is legal to those where it is not (the easiest is Nevada state's information), you'll find that there are no real differences between the areas where it is legal and where it is not. You'll discover that the FBI statistics are similar from county to county. (I don't have time to look up the information right now, sorry...but I'm sure that it can be easily accessed and presented should anyone want it...)

If the discussion is legalizing prostitution for other reasons, perhaps that can be entertained. But legalizing prostitution to bring down the rape/sexual assaults of both major and minor victims is not a good argument.

Regards-
Aimless

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
^^^^^^^^^ Great post Aimless, i am in complete agreement, no legalized prostitution would not stop rapist, but what it WOULD do is help curb the spread of disease, possibly save the embarrasment of families and businesses being torn apart, and free up jail space from all those unneccesary arrest*

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join