It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An E-mail Could Get You Arrested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Just one more reason to watch how you word things

By Meg Burd
December 03, 2003

As the "Stainless Steel Mouse" was released from jail in China last Sunday, Internet censorship and original arrest of "Mouse" and other "cyberdissidents" became a visible issue yet again.

Accused of posting Internet articles criticizing the government, "Mouse" (the nickname of Chinese college student Liu Di) was jailed due to the Chinese government's "concern about political speech on the Internet" and its forceful attempt to "monitor political speech aggressively and block particular Web sites, particularly those that deal with taboo subjects like the banned Falun Gong spiritual movement," according to the New York Times. Posting about Tiananmen Square and human rights, Liu was seen as a subversive element by the government and arrested in her dorm room for her Internet writings.

more info here

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Just as a golden rule...when you are a citizen of China, you don't speak ill of totalitarian regimes unless you're comfortable rotting in a jail cell...

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This does not surprise me. Specially with the history that China has had. It's not a free country where you can speak out your disagreements with the government. At least in certain countries, you are allowed to say, "I don't like how that is being done." or "The way that was done in the past was bad, it needs to be done better." Heck, in the US you can even say, "I don't like the president and his policies." Just means you need to vote the other way.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Good points, but its only a matter of time before it happens other places as well. What do you guys think?

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I don't think it is going to happen in any other places...the world is becoming to progressive for that, despite what the alarmists say. I talk about communism here, it being a totalitarian regime in practice. However, there is an alarming trend of authoritarian regimes sprouting up, especially in Africa

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 05:25 PM
link   
To a certian extent it does happen .. i wonder just to what extent the govt records/logs everything going on online...

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I hope this doesnt surprise anyone. This is the same country that shot down protesters at Tianeman Square. The government knows that if they let these individuals speak, China's government will be in serious danger.

Ah well, eventually people will be heard. Can't hold down a nation forever.....Can You?

top topics

join