It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennis: Lleyton Hewitt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Top seed Lleyton Hewitt did things the hard way before reaching the second round of the French Open.

The world number one looked good for two sets against American Brian Vahaly, winning them 6-4 6-1, but was made to fight hard in the third set after squandering a 3-0 lead.

The Wimbledon champion then blew three match points in the tie-break as his serve deserted him and he lost five straight points from 6-3 up to let Vahaly back into the match.

That shock initally seemed to provide Hewitt with the kick up the backside he required and the Aussie moved 5-1 up.

Another match point came and went before Vahaly finally succumbed, sending a backhand wide when serving at 3-5.

Still, a player who has never gone beyond the last eight in Paris will not have been happy to have been on court for more than three hours.

TRD

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I think Hewitt will struggle in the open and will find it tough to hang on to the number one spot....

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 07:09 PM
link   
He seems flawed when in comes to clay surfaces...One of his weaknesses that may drop his #1 spot.

Watch out for Mark "The Scud" Phillapousis.. I am sure he will progress well into the latter stages of the tournament.

Chris

TRD

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Hey Oz nice to see you here!

Mark "The Scud" Phillapousis...what happened to him he broke on the scene and looked really awesome,is he playing well again?

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Injuries had The scud out for most of last year.. And fueds relating to members of the davis cup team and himself resulted in the self exclusion of the team.. Which is unfortunate because he has a killer serve...one that I believe surpasses boom boom becker's in his prime.

BUT

The scud is back...and I believe he has the potential to go at least top 5 in the world.. He has resolved his davis cup issues and is back in the team.. GO THE AUSSIES!

Chris

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The scud is finding carlos moya to be his nemesis going down in straight sets to him AGAIN ...for the second time in a row at the French open.. Better luck next year scud ol buddy..

Ben

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 10:24 PM
link   
The Scud has some problems on clays and that is not his favorite surface cuase it is very slow. He has a very big serve and has a great serve and volley game. He will make another impact performace this year at Wimbledon. Hewitt should go far this year in this tournament he is very fast and should be abel to run down just about every ball. I only see him lossing if his oppent is on fire. Like last year with Canas.

posted on Jun, 4 2003 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Phillapousis' game is very very similar to Fernando Gonzalez's game...Hewitt just doesnt seem comfortable on clay

top topics

join