It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Portland Trail Blazers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2003 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Did you guys see what happened before the Dallas at Portland game tonight? The young girl forgot the words to the National Anthem so Blazers' Head Coach Maurice Cheeks came out and sang along with her so she would remember the words. Some pretty cool stuff.

I thought that might be an omen for a big night for the Trail Blazers but it wasn't.

They just couldn't stop Dirk Nowitzki this whole series, including tonight.

posted on Apr, 26 2003 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I just saw that on Sportscenter, that was really nice. Mo Cheeks is a class act, I watched him play here in Philly for years, he was a helluva point guard. Unfortunately, he is now 0-6 as a coach in the playoffs.

posted on Apr, 26 2003 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican:

Unfortunately, he is now 0-6 as a coach in the playoffs.

Poor Mo.
That's a big albatross on him.

After tonight Portland has now lost their last 10 straight postseason games.

Great image there, Proud.

posted on Apr, 26 2003 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frank
After tonight Portland has now lost their last 10 straight postseason games.

Thats just unexcusable, I wasnt aware of that. They have had some tough matchups in the playoffs, but you've got to be able to win a few games at least.

10 straight playoff games. They lost 3 so far this year, 3 last year (still best of 5), 3 the year before that, so their streak goes back 4 years?
I hope Mo is still coaching next year.

posted on Apr, 26 2003 @ 01:58 AM
link   

10 straight playoff games. They lost 3 so far this year, 3 last year (still best of 5), 3 the year before that, so their streak goes back 4 years?
I hope Mo is still coaching next year.

Well let me dig back into my memory to make sure I got this right. I believe it goes like this.

In 2000, the Lakers won their first title and beat the Trail Blazers in Game 7 of the Western Conference Finals. That's when the streak started.

Then in 2001, first round, Lakers. Got swept in 3.

Then in 2002, first round, Lakers again. Got swept in 3.

Here, 2003, lost Games 1, 2, and 3 to Dallas.

Hehe, yup, that's 10.

posted on Apr, 26 2003 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Yeah, you're right Frank. The Lakers 3 years in a row and Dallas this year, very tough matchups but you still would think they would steal a game somewhere. Looks like they'll get swept again, even in a best of 7 series. Do you think Mo will survive this playoff disaster?

posted on Apr, 26 2003 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Do you think Mo will survive this playoff disaster?

I don't know who they could get to replace him.

I guess Jeff Van Gundy might be interested. He's always worked well with veterans.

posted on Apr, 26 2003 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Mo's doing the best he or anyone can, the makeup of the team is just doomed to fall apart come playoff time.

Of course, some are predicting the team might change quite a bit after the postseason given that theyre so far over the luxury tax limit...

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Hey nice job, Blazers tonight.

98 to 79! They destroyed the Mavericks tonight. With a 21 to 0 run in the 3rd Quarter!

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Finally the Blazers won a playoff game, glad to see Mo Cheeks pick up a win.

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 03:10 AM
link   
And no Scottie Pippen.

No Arvydas Sabonis and no Derek Anderson too.

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 06:06 PM
link   
What does everyone think about the future of Scottie Pippen, who is a free-agent this summer? I've heard rumors of him possibly being interested in LA, that would be awesome, what a great player to add.

As for yesterday's game, I really think Dallas will finish them off next game.

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cannon:

What does everyone think about the future of Scottie Pippen, who is a free-agent this summer? I've heard rumors of him possibly being interested in LA, that would be awesome, what a great player to add.

I hope it doesn't happen because I'm a non-Lakers' fan
But I think that would be great for the Lakers. Put him at the three, let him bring the ball up the court, use his long arms on defense and he already has go-to-guys on this team.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 08:30 AM
link   
John Nash was introduced Wednesday as the Trail Blazers' sixth general manager, taking control of a troubled team in need of an overhaul.

"Paul Allen has made it clear that he wants a team that both he and the city of Portland can be proud of," Nash said.

Nash, the former Philadelphia, Washington and New Jersey GM, was most recently a basketball analyst on the Philadelphia 76ers' post-game show.

The 56-year-old veteran manager replaces Bob Whitsitt, whose personnel moves angered many in the community. The team failed to win a championship with the league's highest payroll and several notable players have had surly attitudes and legal problems.

Nash said he would not shy away from those problems.

"It would be my goal to make some changes before the season starts, but not change for the sake of change," he said.

One of the team's biggest problems has been Rasheed Wallace, who is most known for his tirades against referees and penchant for picking up technicals.

As Washington's GM, Nash drafted Wallace.

Nash has also been known for cleaning house. With the Nets, he swung a nine-player trade with Dallas and an eight-player trade with Philadelphia.

He also acquired Stephon Marbury. But none of the moves worked, and the Nets struggled until Nash left and Jason Kidd arrived.

Nash also performed a major makeover when he was with Washington, acquiring players such as Chris Webber, Rex Chapman and Scott Skiles.

The search for Whitsitt's replacement took longer than expected after New Jersey's Ed Stefanski, Detroit's John Hammond and Boston's Chris Wallace turned down offers to join the Blazers.

When Steve Patterson took over as the new team president, the search slowed even further. Whitsitt stayed on to select Travis Outlaw in the first round of last month's NBA draft.

Aside from Wallace, Nash has other ties to Portland. He worked in Philadelphia when Blazers coach Maurice Cheeks played there. He also hired Blazer assistant Jim Lynam as head coach for Philadelphia and Washington.

The latest of many problems involving the team concerned Damon Stoudamire, fined $250,000 and suspended indefinitely for his third arrest in 16 months on marijuana possession charges earlier this month.

During the past season, the Blazers have had several problems:

Wallace and Qyntel Woods also were arrested for marijuana possession.

Ruben Patterson was arrested for felony domestic assault, but charges were later dropped.

Bonzi Wells was suspended and fined for on-court fighting, and received the same punishment for spitting on an opponent.

Wallace was suspended and fined for threatening a referee after a game.

Zach Randolph was suspended and fined for punching Patterson during practice.

posted on Jul, 17 2003 @ 02:54 PM
link   
the Blazers are simply a mess, looking like one of the best teams in the NBA one moment and one of the worst the next. He has a lot of work cut out for him.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cannon:

the Blazers are simply a mess, looking like one of the best teams in the NBA one moment and one of the worst the next. He has a lot of work cut out for him.

Well it looks like he's starting the housecleaning.

Bonzi Wells just got traded to Memphis for a first round pick in 2004 and Wesley Person.

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 09:31 AM
link   
they traded wells!~!!! what were they thinkin hes the only payer they got

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Wells was too much of a headcase.

They had to get rid of him.

new topics

top topics

join