It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Football: NFL Rumors

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I thought he had ankle and knee surgery in the offseason? and is not yet taking full training.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Couldn't find anything on that. Could be though.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Although Eddie is one of my favorite playeres, his production has slowed over the past couple of years. Still better than 75% of the backs out there, though.

TRD

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Found a piece on it on ESPN....

If the Titans release George after June 1, when teams can ameliorate the impact on their 2004 salary cap, they would still be charged $3.071 million for him while also recouping $4.25 million. Under such a scenario, the Titans would be able to defer a cap hit of about $4.15 million to 2005.

Currently just $1.097 million under the cap, according to documents obtained by ESPN.com, the Titans must create room to sign 13 players selected in the draft. Tennessee has a rookie allocation pool of $4.702 million, fifth-largest in the league.

George, 30, is rehabilitating from offseason knee and ankle surgery, and while he has attended the team's conditioning program he has not been cleared to participate full-speed in workouts. The recent surgeries are further indication of the wear and tear the eight-year veteran has displayed the last couple of seasons, a physical erosion not uncommon to running backs as they near 30.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Ah, the resources of S.T. Thanks.

TRD

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Yea i was sure i read it earlier, it got me thinking like hrmm did i or not lol!

As Gibbs say's though his production has slowed down over the last couple of years i think he has only averaged something like 3.4 yrds per carry over the last 2 seasons. Although he has only failed to get over 1,000 yrds once in 8 years.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Fantasy speaking, he's gone from a sure first round pick to a solid 4th round, possible 3rd rounder.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
See, that's what I meant about S.T. I couldn't find anything on it but here, BAM. Info you need.

On George, I'm not talking fantasy, I'm talking in the game. Holmes will get more yards, td's, fantasy points but if your the coach, you don't want that, you want a guy that goes all out, even if his assignment is blocking a star D lineman. He'll do it and do it well.

Ben

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I think a Great Rb is made by the plays that arnt shown, by making the blocks on the backside to save your QB, sure TD and Rushing yards help but to be great you need to block.

TRD

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Cowboys a good fit for George
San Antonio Express-News

The Cowboys could scoop up Eddie George if the Titans cut him loose. Express-News columnist Buck Harvey believes that signing with the Cowboys "makes the most sense" for George.

Giants may not be only team in hunt for Warner
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Although Kurt Warner is expected to sign with the Giants, several other teams could make bids for the former MVP. The Post-Dispatch's Bill Coats reports that the Cardinals, Ravens, 49ers, Cowboys, Chiefs, Bears, Chargers Packers and Dolphins may all be shopping for QB's.

Time for Raiders to cut Gannon
San Jose Mercury News

Mercury News columnist Skip Bayless thinks that the Raiders should cut QB Rich Gannon. Bayless writes that Gannon is "shot, physically and psychologically".

Conway could sign with 49ers
San Jose Mercury News

The Mercury News's Daniel Brown reports that the 49ers may sign former Jets receiver Curtis Conway. Rumor has it that Conway could get a one-year deal worth $760,000.

link

Ben

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
George could be the back that the need for the Boys

TRD

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Raiders may force Gannon to take pay cut
San Francisco Chronicle

Chronicle columnist Ray Ratto thinks that Raiders QB Rich Gannon could still end up being released. Ratto believes that the Raiders may have named Gannon their starter so that they can write him off as a "money-grubber" if he refuses to renegotiate his contract.

Titans' George knows end is near
New York Times

Titans running back Eddie George knows that his days in Tennessee may be coming to an end. George told the Times' Thomas George that "there is not much left to do but go back and pack my things".

Ravens don't need Stewart
Baltimore Sun

Sun columnist Mike Preston doesn't think much of QB Kordell Stewart. Preston writes that the Ravens want to sign Stewart because he is "cheap" and they will be able to "jerk him around".

Testaverde could sign with Cowboys or Patriots
Bergen Record

The Record's Randy Lange reports that the Jets are expected to release QB Vinny Testaverde next week. Look for Testaverde to sign with either the Cowboys or the Patriots.

Steelers say Burress is still welcome
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette reports that Steelers coach Bill Cowher isn't ready to close the door on receiver Plaxico Burress. Cowher says that he would welcome back Burress even though the wideout has skipped the Steelers' spring workouts.

link

TRD

posted on May, 30 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
By George, could Eagles have it?
Trenton Times

"How much - the key being much - would the Eagles like Eddie George to be a part of their backfield next season?"

From Super Bowl Title to Release for Warner
New York Times

"The Giants and several other teams are expected to offer Warner a contract, but none are laying out the red-carpet reception one might expect for a two-time most valuable player. The Giants want him as a stopgap starter and mentor for the rookie Eli Manning. That may be his best offer."

Law may stick with Patriots
Boston Globe

"Don't expect Ty Law to leave the Patrits until 2005. People within the organization and around the league view the possibility of him being traded or released before this season as remote."

Packers may dump pair
Jacksonville Times-Union

"Two players to watch for on the cut lists starting Tuesday are defensive ends Joe Johnson and Jamal Reynolds of Green Bay. Johnson will definitely be cut and the speculation is that Reynolds' chances are 50-50. Since the Jaguars are thin at defensive end and Tony Brackens has yet to get coach Jack Del Rio's message that the welcome mat may not be out for him if he waits until July to sign, the Jaguars could take a look at those two players."

Bengals expected to sign Gardener
Cincinnati Enquirer

"The Bengals are poised to make at least one major post-June 1 free agent signing this year. Two sources outside of Denver have confirmed an April Denver Post report that the Bengals have reached agreement on a four-year, $9.3 million contract with defensive tackle Daryl Gardener."

TRD

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Warner, Testaverde among QB's who could be cut
Buffalo News

Several big-name QB's may be about to hit the open market. News columnist Allen Wilson writes that Kurt Warner, Vinny Testaverde, Tim Couch, Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson could all soon find themselves unemployed.

Huard could sign with Chiefs, Packers or Giants
Providence Journal

The Journal's Tom E. Curran reports that three teams are interested in former Patriots QB Damon Huard. Huard's agent says that the Chiefs, Packers and Giants are all eyeing his client.

Raiders may try to lure Sanders out of retirement
Oakland Tribune

Tribune columnist Monte Poole writes that there is talk that the Raiders have been "making inquiries" about Barry Sanders. Poole jokingly suggests that the Raiders also see if Howie Long and Reggie White are ready to return.

link

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I would love to see Sanders play again. His problem was that he couldn't deal with the fame. If he can get past that, it would be wonderful. He's a wonder to watch. Moves like :tum:. I wonder how long it would take to get game ready?

TRD

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Well it's one player i definatly remember playing (when they showed it in the UK) He was great to watch. It would be awesome if they could lure him back with a year contract. How old is he now?

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I can't imagine he's gonna come back, maybe a couple of years ago, but not now. I always liked him better than Emmitt...

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Gotta be 35, 36. But he hasn't taken a beating in, what is it, 6 years?

TRD

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Well i guess he still isn't to old to produce the stuff and he might well be quite fresh still. As you say he hasn't played in a few years but i bet he still has what it takes.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Googled him. 37 in 6 weeks. Been retired for 5 years. Classy guy, love to see him back.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join