It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Baseball Trades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2003 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Hey, how about San Diego trading for Brian Giles last Tuesday?

They gave up pitcher Oliver Perez, outfielder Jason Bay and a player to be named later to Pittsburgh.

Glad to see San Diego increasing their payroll.

[Edited on 8/30/2003 by Fox Mulder]

[Edited on 8/30/2003 by Fox Mulder]

posted on Aug, 29 2003 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I dont see the purpose of having a trade deadline if you can still make trades via waivers, doesn't make much sense to me.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Yeah, I don't know. What's up with that?

Is Major League Baseball the only sport with no trade deadline or what?

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 06:02 PM
link   
They do have a trade deadline, that's what I dont understand. I think it was July 31, now trades must clear waivers, pretty senseless to have a trade deadline and still be able to make trades.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Also in that same article above they traded away Rondell White to Kansas City for 2 pitching prospects.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 10:14 PM
link   
"A team may make trades without waivers from 5pm Eastern time, the day after the scheduled end of the season through July 31st. Waivers are necessary to make trades from August 1st through 5pm Eastern Time, the day after the scheduled end of the regular season. "

A waiver on a Major League Player is defined as "...a permission granted for certain assignments of player contracts or for the unconditional release of a Major League player..."

A Major League Player placed on waivers will have "cleared waivers" if after three business days following waivers have been requested he has not been claimed by another team. If a player "clears waivers", the team has secured waivers on that player for the rest of the waiver period.

A team can do one of three things with a player once he has cleared waivers. They can send him to the minors, for veteran players with the consent of the player, they can release him, making him available to other teams, or they can trade him to another team, regardless of whether or not the trading deadline has passed. In order for a team to trade a player past the July 31st trading deadline, he must have first cleared waivers.

rangers.siegler.net...

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Thanks for researching the info on that, PA.

Anyways I heard the Padres are also talking about getting Jason Kendall. They could be a really good team once their new ballpark opens.

top topics

join