It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Down with the IGNORE button!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I have been thinking, surely we should abolish the ignore button becuase htis means that people will simply switch off people who's views don't match their own. If everyone did this then ATS would suck. I think that if a member is consitently offensive towards other members then he can be banned, but giving people the feature to ignore people just means that people wont be hearing all the views on a topic. Not denying ignorance. Anyone agree>?

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I'm pretty convinced it doesn't get used that much. Human curiosity should mean that people still want to hear what other people are sayihng about them.

I've considered using it, there's two or three people here who I really have issues with. However, at the end of the day, I still want to read the psycho-babble that they spew.

Banning on a public forum does not work that well, people can always come back under a different name.

I wonder if the system knows how many people have active 'ignores'? It would be interesting to hear if it is actually used that much.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Well, maybe we should have a limit on ignores, right? I knwo I only have one person worth ignoring. I don't want to hear one word out of his filthy sewer... but it took a lot to put me into this position. Maybe a max of...oh, let's say three people one can ignore at any time seems like a perfectly valid idea.

DE

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I think that water always finds its own level and people should be afforded the autonomy of choice and their entitlement to free-will. I am not attempting to be crass or rude so don't take it as such please, I only mean to bring to light the issue of non-oppressive coercion.
The ATS is fairly straight-up if you will, so I would not concern oneself over the 'possible' causalitites of another's choices. Does one think about their neighbours phone bill?

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I have used the ignore button to block out posts from mOjOm. Even though I don't mind reading his posts, I find his flashing avatar really annoying and distracting while I'm trying to read his posts and those of others above and below.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Yeh a limited number of ignores might be good but still not my perfect idea. I just think that if people havn't broken any rules of the site then other members shouldn't allowed to completely ignore their opinion.

Does one think about their neighbours phone bill?

Only on tuesdays.

[Edited on 053030p://666 by earthtone]

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 05:07 AM
link   
If you or I has to ignore a person then perhaps it's only the fear the ignored person invokes in us that they are right and we are wrong. Everyone is worth being heard, or read(in our case) but then, that's just my thoughts about it *shrugs*

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 05:45 AM
link   
good points magestica. I agree with all of them.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Ha! Everyone's opinion is worth being heard? LOL! ROFL!! *wipes tears from eyes* That's all I have to say about that.

If you do not feel the need to use the ignore button, please, do not use it. But don't worry about it if it is there for the usage of others that decide that the opinion of some other poster does not have any worth. Or, another poster decides to flame someone, and so that someone decides to use ignore so that they are not tempted to fire back.

That option has not always been here, but management created it for a reason, and the button is going nowhere.

As Lucifer said, don't worry about the neighbors phone bill, allow them to talk all they want, or not talk at all if that is more suitable to them.

Besides, I'm with Zzub, I do not think it is used much, anyway.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Ha! Everyone's opinion is worth being heard? LOL! ROFL!! *wipes tears from eyes* That's all I have to say about that.

Well...you have to hide. So it makes sense you would say something like the above
It's ashame you *feel* this way..such ashame..

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 08:08 AM
link   
indeed it is a shame.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I've just checked the database, and only 22 members have applied ignores, and 9 of those are MisterBellaTrix, and 4 are BigSage. So in reality, it's not used often.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I would just like the readers eyes to travel up to the top of the screen and look at the ATS banner there. Now what words are under the AboveTopSecret.com and to the right of the Magnifying glass. Thats my opinon.

Such Irony.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadeofgray
Thats my opinon.

You opinion is a little "gray" (he he, couldn't resist).

Really, it's unclear. Do you intend to mean that an active and popular discussion board, providing a tool for members to filter abusive posters (usually until staff can notice and take action), somehow hampers the mission of "deny ignorance"?

Having the option for personal choice is always good.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 11:48 AM
link   
There have been periods of my life in which I actually found HappyLand via the ignore button.

Please don't take my happy pill away from me

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Can we have an ignore button to ignore the ignore function?

Seriously, I wish there was an Ignore-Avatar button. I've had problems with my eyes my whole life, I have a damaged eye-nerve, #ed up right eye, damaged retina... those utterly stupid flashing avatars are a real problem to me...

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperclip
those utterly stupid flashing avatars are a real problem to me...

I actually am working on an option for members to disable avatars. Also, working on a low-bandwidth option for members on dial-up. More coming soon.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Yeah William, we should have a text-only version of the site. The layout and everything is nice, but sometimes we don't need all the fancy images and stuff. Plus, text is light on bandwidth!

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by William

I actually am working on an option for members to disable avatars. Also, working on a low-bandwidth option for members on dial-up. More coming soon.

Very cool!

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I really enjoy seeing other's avatars, it expresses much about the person, but I do understand some do not want to see them.

The ignore buttons, although I have never used them, are probubly a feature to keep though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join