It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name your sports idol growing up.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Mine had to be J.R. Richard. He's the reason I wanted to be a pitcher. His star was very bright, but burned out shortly. A blood clot in his pitching shoulder and subsequent stroke ended the career of who I consider one of the greatest pitchers ever.

Peace

Edit: A while back a story surfaced that J.R. was living under a bridge here in Houston. It was very sad the downfall he took after his near fatal stroke.

[edit on 19-12-2006 by Dr Love]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
For me, I had 3. Number 1 in football was Dick Butkus, the Chicago Bears Hall Of Fame middle linebacker. The greatest player ever to have never played in a playoff game.

Second was Johnny Unitas, the Baltimore Colts QB. Nothing fancy, no showboating. Just went out every week and competed hard.

Third was a small forward for the old Indiana Pacers from their ABA days - Roger Brown. The greatest player nobody ever heard of.

Ahh, the ABA.

[Edit for typo]

[edit on 12/19/2006 by yeahright]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Growing up in Lubbock, Texas My Idol was Duke Kahanamoku the world champion surfer and board designer.

Ben Hogan deserves a mention too.

[edit on 19-12-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Mine was Roberto Clemente, right fielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates. I can still rmember his signature basket catches of fly balls, and throwing out a runner at first base who had singled to right.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 06:59 PM
link   
When I was really young:

O.J. Simpson

I never actually saw him play a game is the funny thing (a touch before my time).
But I saw highlights and damn he was unbelievable.

...and now he's a punchline (and rightfully).

When I was a touch older:

Lynn Dickey

Because there is no greater name for a 10 year old to say on the playground.

And now:

Brett Favre

Noone played the game like Favre.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 07:41 PM
link   
First and foremost the entire Montreal Canadiens organization. I can not begin to explain how big of a fan I am. My father has named me after one of an all-time Montreal great. My middle name is Guy, for Guy Lafleur. I have always idolized these guys who get to support this jersey day in and day out.

After that I would have to say Michael Jordan, Brett Favre, and Ken Griffey Jr.

These three guys always put the team first and they made those around them better. Their love for the game always shined bright, and in todays game, it is something we should not take lightly.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Oh for me one of the bigest sports personalities that I idolized was the one, the only....Evel Knievel!

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Being from Detroit originally, it was only natural for me to focus what little attention span I had as a little kid on teams from Detroit. So it wouldn't come as any surprise, really, that I 'idolized' such sports greats as Al Kaline of the Detroit Tigers and "Mr Hockey", Gordie Howe of the Detroit Red Wings.

Of course, I got older and with age comes discernment. I stopped "idolizing" players because, frankly, few seemed to actually merit the status of "idol". Few sports figures were worthy of being idolized. Though many sports figures certainly demonstrated their skills in the arena of their particular sport, so many were 'tainted' by their antics out of their uniforms and off of their 'fields of play'. Of course, there were exceptions.

I'm not ashamed to admit that as I , 'ahem', matured I actually found myself "idolizing" a sports figure again. In my thirties I focused my attention on a young rookie whose skills were astounding. I found myself idolizing a young man who became the youngest Captain of any NHL team and who went on to become the longest serving Captain in the NHL. Naturally, I referring to Steve Yzerman.

I might be in my fifties now but I am not ashamed to admit that seeing Steve Yzerman lead the Detroit Red Wings to three Stanley Cup Championships has forever etched "Stevie Y" into my heart as my own, greatest sports idol.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Growing up a Red Sox fan (full time job)....I loved watching Dwight Evans in right field.... "where doubles died." He wasn't the greatest fielder in the major leauges, or the best hitter. Dewey was the hardest, well prepared player in all of baseball during his time. He came to play and loved what he did. He always appreciated the fans. Just one of the class acts that are pretty non-existant in Major Leauge Sports now a days........

Damn I forgot about Evel Kenivel. I had ALL the toys that were put out....The motorcycle, the stunt&crash stadium....etc..... ah good times...

[edit on 20-12-2006 by CameronFox]

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
i would have to say earl anthony, the greatest bowler of all time (and he was a leftie!) he was by far the greatest bowler ever...now...i dont model my game after his because...well hes a little "outdated" but he was perfect. he was flawless, he repeated everyshot the same...just perfect

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Rasobasi, couldn't you find a picture where your idol, the "Raise your hands if you're Sure" guy, is a little more prominent?

Peace

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
It needed to show his skillz Dr.Love. Look how far he is from the hoop when he's dunking. He really is flying.

Jordan

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Nice thread.

My first hero's were Frank Mahovolich, Jaque Plante and Ron Ellis. Early memories. Yeah, Dad was a Leafs fan.

As my own hero, I couldn't wait to see Mohammed Ali. Couldn't get enough of the guy. He talked the talk and walked the walk, sometimes taking a beating but still winning. Until about 1980. Age caught up to him but he IS the GREATEST!!!

As an adult, Montana is the only sports figure I would want an autograph from. That would be a keeper.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Growing up it was Dan Marino and Barry Sanders.

Now its Bret Favre and Donald Driver

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I got plenty to name here. Let me start off with my list of the sports guys I grew up watching.

Nolan Ryan in his later, and still great, years pitching for the Texas Rangers. Mr. Knerko from the White Sox found out the hard way that you don't charge the mound with a rough and tough Texan on it.

The duos of Joe Montana and Jerry Rice from the 49er's of the 1980s. All those Super Bowls......
The quad of Michael Irvin, Emmitt SmithTroy Aikman, and Darryl "Moose" Johnston for the Cowboys of the 1990s.

Sorry, but I got to add a whole team to this besides the '85 Bears. The 1994 San Fransisco 49er's. Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Ricky Watters, Deion Sanders just to name a few.

And

The Man himself.............Earnhardt

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Muhammad Ali, Troy Aikman...ok, so that's four.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   
You know. to be honest...Well, I always looked up to outfielder for the Texas Rangers Pete Incaviligia... But to be truthful, there never have been any atheletes that I really modeled my life after. I have always felt like parents should be "idols" rather than some individual that you would probably never meet.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 02:20 AM
link   
arlo eisenberg

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I would have to say Andy Van Slyke of the Pittsburgh Pirates. I grew up on the south hills of Pittsburgh and played little league baseball when I was a kid. Andy and I were both number 18 and we both played center field, so I looked up to him.

new topics

top topics

join