It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am Cookie Doodle

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Hi FF and Co.

This thread brings up a good point, maybe there should be a forum for, i dunno, under 16?
We have most types of forums, yet none specifically for kids, if i'm not mistaken?

Maybe its something ATS will expand to do at some point?

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
There are plenty of places for kids to go and interact on the web without the adult themes and language. Not to mention the way outs.

Here is a place that lists over 100 kid safe sites:

www.parentpresent.org...

Yea, I'm the mean old guy....

That just happens to want to protect children from the many less desirable influences on the internet. It's amazing that some parents won't let their kids ride a bicycle without pads and helmets but they will let them surf the net unsupervised. FF, it’s great that you are right there with your daughter supervising but there will come a time when she will want to go it alone. IMO, it would be a great comfort knowing that the sites my children go to are strictly monitored and safe. This way when you don't have time to sit next to the kids you can still have peace of mind. And yes, you can set restrictions on a PC as many of you know.

Sooner or later they will be on alone whether it is at home or somewhere else. Point blank I don't think ATS is appropriate for anyone under the age of 16.

I'm not calling anyone’s parenting into question here as I know you all love your kids and want them to be safe. I am just voicing an alternative that some may not be aware of.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Hmm, that's funny, I think of ATS as a very tame site actually. No swears, nothing "adult" aside from free exchange of ideas. I'm not sure what on this site would need to be censored form a child, but then again, I'm not a parent.

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Welcome and you are awesome, i know, because your mom is the greatest!!!
I hope you enjoy it as much as me and mom do.

Are you into hockey too?

Its a pleasure to meet you, and you sound like you are a nice young lady and Merry Christmas to you, mom, and the whole family!!!

*Hugs*

DGtempe

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   

A tween is someone who is older than a kid but younger than a teenager.

I thought a tween was a cross between a twinkie and a jelly bean. Which would explain why those tweenkies made me so sick.

Evidently discount Ukranian candy is not all it's cracked up to be.

As for forums that are age specific, if you do an under sixteen then you'd open up for people wanting an over 21 or even 35 and older.

I don't think in terms of graphic content, kids(tweens) will find anything on here they wont find on television...I actually think ATS is incredibly tame.

Sure the subject matter is diverse and not of mainstream and members can get pretty heated in debates but it certainly isn't anything compared to the mind killing experience of your average music video.

IMO of course.

Plus it looks like the parental units are keeping an eye on things.

SPiderj

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Sorry if I offended any one, my comment was more of a back ward complement.

CookieDoodle, about snowing. I sure wish it would. No skiing, no horseback rides that freeze your nose off but make you feel like a queen,
no walking on frozen rivers, no slay rides with the kids.

WIS

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo
www.parentpresent.org...

Thanks jbondo. I will look in to that link sometime soon. I like learning how to post and things like that.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
your mom is the greatest!!!

I have to agree with you because she is sitting next to me.

Are you into hockey too?

yes I am into hockey. We have a game on Saturday. the game is not in the NHL it is in the AHL. the NHL is pro the AHL is one step below the pro leagues.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I am going into seventh grade. i got all a's for the end of sixth grade. i just had my eleventh birthday a couple of months ago.

also I just got the first part of my braces put in. Iwill get full braces in a bout one year.

Right now I am at the library. our basement is being worked on and the air conditioning is out so we are hiding at the library and using their air conditioning. It is 100 degrees. YIKES.

For 4th of july I got my ears pierced. the earrings are silver and crystal.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
ALL A's! Quite an accomplishment. You should be very proud. Next year starts junior high and you'll find things get a bit more challenging. Not only academically, but other social issues crop up that can be distracting. Just keep focused and listen to Mom and Dad and you'll do fine, I'm sure.

I know most junior high students seem to believe their parents suddenly got significantly dumber, but trust me, this is not the case.

Good luck with the a/c. Always seems to go out at the hottest part of the season, doesn't it?

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Hmm, that's funny, I think of ATS as a very tame site actually. No swears, nothing "adult" aside from free exchange of ideas. I'm not sure what on this site would need to be censored form a child, but then again, I'm not a parent.

My point is that some content here is not appropriate due to the subject matter that can be very influential to kids no matter how intelligent they are.

Some content on here can certainly influence how kids perceive the world around them and most is written as non fiction. Not to mention the downright scary doomsday stuff that frightens some of the adults.

Many OP's can be very convincing in their text and if you don't mind I'd prefer that my kids didn't sit in a dark room using some technique to contact aliens or some other crazy stuff.

Yes, to the adult eye this is a tame site but when you really think about what could harm your child it gets a little more complicated.

By the way Cookie, have you ever heard of the "AdvantEdge"? If you have you will know what I'm talking about since you're into Hockey. Anyway, I invented it.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Cookie D. I know this is late to send a welcome, as you have been here longer than I have, but it is a welcome thread, so consider me welcoming you.

I have a nine year old granddaughter, who at times sits and reads, without posting, while I am online. And asks me a million questions that I have no good answer for.

While I understand the fear that many here have of children and the ideas that they may be exposed to at a site like this, I am sure that your folks have things well in hand.

I learned to read around the age of four, (there was no internet then), and while my parents would have never provided me with books that were obscene, I was never restricted much as far as content. (Naturally, in those days mild cussing was never printed in a book, though Mark Twain used the 'N" word a lot.
)

Age is not as much a matter of years as it is a matter of exposure to ideas. It would seem that Cookie D. is rather remarkable, and I contribute this to here rearing. (FF, that will not count as me being nice to you, so you can feel free to blast me without guilt on these boards whenever the urge strikes.:lol
I think that letting a child follow those ideas that appeal to them is better than the straightjacket path followed by many modern parents.

And Cookie D., I look forward to seeing your ideas from time to time. I for one am never to old to learn from anyone of any age.

posted on Jul, 11 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Hey there, Cookie Doodle !! Welcome to Above Top Secret !!

Dallas

posted on Jul, 12 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
While I understand the fear that many here have of children and the ideas that they may be exposed to at a site like this, I am sure that your folks have things well in hand.

Yes Cookie is monitored as has been mentioned. Many children are not.

Originally posted by NGC2736Age is not as much a matter of years as it is a matter of exposure to ideas. I think that letting a child follow those ideas that appeal to them is better than the straightjacket path followed by many modern parents.

I disagree and think certain things can not only harm children but leave them emotionally distraught to different degrees up to and including delusion. No matter how advanced children are they are still children. There is a big difference between reading Slaughterhouse 5 and a post by some nut job trying to get people to follow some cultish ideals. Children are very susceptible to things that seem exciting or dangerous. When I was a kid I was very concerned about having to go to war at age 18 as I watched terrible imagery from Vietnam. I can still remember doing duck and cover drills in elementary school during the Bay of Pigs. Children shouldn't be overexposed to such terrible things and it's much worse for kids today with what they have access to.

I tend to disagree about the straight jacket thing as I notice a great deal of parents are quite unaware of what their children are involved in.

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
what kind of ghost hunting equipment does your family have?

We have some sort of EVP thing. It's really cool. We put next to a statue of Mary and it spiked really high!!

Originally posted by Crakeur
what kind of ghost hunting equipment does your family have?

We have some sort of EVP thing. It's really cool. We put next to a statue of Mary and it spiked really high!!

All they seem to care about is MySpace. What kind of ghost encounters have you and your parents had??

I don't have a MySpace. We see ghosts all the time in Gettysburg. It's really wierd.

This member is a child of another members here on ATS

You got that right.

I'd be pretty damned proud of my child's writing skills.

They are very happy with my grades and schoolwork and want me to keep them up.

perception of the world will be altered.

Too late for that. Whoopsies. We've got some conspiracy books at home.

I'm a big fan of the Flyers.

OMG I'm almost an 8th grader now. Next years is giong to be awesome. Can't wait for summer YAY.

[edit on 21-4-2008 by Cookie Doodle]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Cookie Doodle

Hi Cookie Doodle

Your Flyers are doing pretty good in the playoffs, eh? I'm a Bruins fan - or as we say in Boston, "Da Broons". They went the distance with Montreal but got blown out in the deciding game. Well, they were so bad this year they weren't supposed to make the playoffs to begin with, so I guess I should be happy they went that far!

jso

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I think you mean the Boston Ruins jsobecky. Anyway the Flyers are giong to the semi-finals playing the Canadiens in Montreal I think. It's gonna be fun!!

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Cookie Doodle

Oooowwwww! That hurt! Very funny, Cookie Doodle! I see you have your mom's sense of humor!

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Amazing grammer and spelling Coockie Doodle. You must do very well in school. And what is a tween?

HAH!

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Hi Cookie,

Welcome to ATS, I hope you enjoy the site. Take care and see you around

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join