It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happened Next Writing Contest (WHNWC)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I think in any case we should make a decision now. I'm excited to get this contest judged and/or voted on so we can get started on a new one!

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
I think in any case we should make a decision now. I'm excited to get this contest judged and/or voted on so we can get started on a new one!

Agreed. This is my first Writing Contest so I am eager to see the process unfold and find out who the winners are - and, I must admit, I'm looking forward to getting 'Writer Status'!!!

I know, I know - patience is a virtue...

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

The contest has been judged and the winners picked if we go the old-fashioned way.

And it wasn't easy...

However, I'm still hoping to organise a different method of judging writing contests...maybe the next one, maybe this one.

A few have said that they like the idea and I'm very tempted to try it now, but I'm not sure due to the small number that have come forward saying they'd be willing to read all the submissions a couple of times and make considered choices.

So, I leave it up to you, writers and members...

If you wish to judge yourselves, we need at least 10 members to commit to it and a 3 day window will be started on Monday and finish on Wednesday night at which time the consensus will determine the winners.

Or... I can announce the winners tomorrow around noon.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Well any way you choose is fine by me, I would love to vote on the entries, but I am also realy ready for this contest to end and a new one started.

If you already have the winners picked out then by all means I say we go with that. Just for simplicity sake.

But I am also willing to go with a vote if that is determined to be what the other members agree on.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
If you already have the winners picked out then by all means I say we go with that. Just for simplicity sake.

But I am also willing to go with a vote if that is determined to be what the other members agree on.

Good answer

We'll see what responses we get over today and this evening and come to a decision by tomorrow.

Either way, it won't be long before the winners are announced and we can start working on the next contest.

I really liked the idea of using links... it certainly put 'context' on the stories, didn't it?

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
I really liked the idea of using links... it certainly put 'context' on the stories, didn't it?

Those who did link in their stories, it did give the story have a bit more depth to it. Sometimes the link would give the backstory of something central to the story which made the stories a bit more real.

I did enjoy most of the stories, they were for the most part well written and enjoyable.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   

A few have said that they like the idea and I'm very tempted to try it now, but I'm not sure due to the small number that have come forward saying they'd be willing to read all the submissions a couple of times and make considered choices.

So, I leave it up to you, writers and members...

If you wish to judge yourselves, we need at least 10 members to commit to it and a 3 day window will be started on Monday and finish on Wednesday night at which time the consensus will determine the winners.

Ive already read them all once so another couple of times couldnt hurt, so count me in,
but if not im more than happy to go with the flow on this one. Great entry's again everyone.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   

The contest has been judged and the winners picked if we go the old-fashioned way.

And it wasn't easy...

I`d bet it wasn`t easy!,I enjoyed reading them all.

I`m good for either way masqua.

I could be wrong but this is how I see it...

Its a lot of added work for the moderators to judge these contests,especially if there are many entries,so with the work load shared by writers (leaving out members for now) would make it easier for mods and also have a broader judging panel.

I left out members because,if members are relied upon for this I`m not sure it will have the appropriate interest and will be left to mainly writers and mods anyway.

As I said either way you guys choose is
by me,so I will be just as happy to hear an announcement noon tomorrow as well.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I see. If there is confusion here, I would suggest that judging be completed by whatever the "traditional" method is. It may be wise to have discussion after we get past this to hash over the options for any future contests.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Any news on what we are doing yet? I still see no sign of winners yet.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
what i recommend for next contest of writing - something perhaps to do with a google or youtube video backed up with a theme on 'myspace' website setup by the writer of the story - based on a 'theme'.

ie, if i decide to write about an 'alien invasion' or something - i'll look for a video on google or youtube with talks about such events, then i'll make a myspace website that links to "above top secret", and also the 'persona' on myspace will be the main character of the story, get my drift?

make it interesting, it would be like 'living' the character of your story (this is what i did in highschool writing, and recently with the WHNWC story - i pretended to be the character and live the story), so it takes it further.

good training for anyone here who wants to become an actor too!

Thx

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 08:53 AM
link   
first prize

Reapers of the Universe by ubermunche

second prize

stains of Georgia Clay by sdp333

third prize

Mind Control: Out of Control, Minds Eye Matrix by ImaMarty

Sorry about the delay, but I wanted to make sure everyone involved had a chance to state their opinions on the judging method.

For the next contest, I'll be asking for dedicated volunteers (besides the moderating staff in this forum) from among the Writers for that difficult task. For everyone who agrees and are accepted as a judge, I'll award 1000 points each for your efforts.

All those who submitted a story will get their writer status today.

I can't believe just HOW DIFFICULT it was to decide who the best were!!!

All I can say is that some BRILLIANT thinking went into ALL of your efforts and were worthy of applause (as I think you know by now).

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   
A couple of those were going to be my pics if we were going to vote.
I would certanly love to be a judge on any future contests comming up
I realy enjoy reading what people write on this site.

(Can't wait for that nifty Writer status now)

[edit on 13/3/07 by masqua]

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Wait no longer.

You are also #1 on the list of volunteer judges.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Congratulations to the winners!

I can clearly see why ubermunche, sdp333 and ImaMarty were chosen as the top three. Looks like I've got some improving to do! Umm.. when's the next writing contest?

EDIT: Added smiley

[edit on 3/13/2007 by DCFusion]

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Congratulations to the three winners, job well done. The bars been raised judging by the content of this contest, great stuff to everyone who participated, cant wait for the next one.

I'd be willing to put my hand up for any future judging that may be required masqua, but will that disqualify you from competing. Wouldnt bother me if judges entry's were not able to be considered for the voting process but i would still like to be able to enter story's.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
I'd be willing to put my hand up for any future judging that may be required masqua, but will that disqualify you from competing. Wouldnt bother me if judges entry's were not able to be considered for the voting process but i would still like to be able to enter story's.

Any and all writers are welcome to become a judge without losing the ability to enter into contests. If you noticed, I myself entered this one and also judged. I expect those who sit on the panel to make their picks with certain criteria in mind... originality, style, context, etc. and if you think your submission rates within the top three submissions, then you should be able to vote for it. We should be able to reach a consensus without having too many rules spoiling the broth.

You, m4j, are now the second volunteer.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Just wanted to say thanks everyone, I am so pathetically pleased and grateful, well done to everyone else too, brilliant efforts all round.

I am well chuffed!

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Well, I've had a rather craptastic day so far and this just put a smile on my face!

Masqua, count me in as a volunteer if needed.......

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
ubermunche

Great Story! Congradulations! very well deserved win!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join