It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

What Happened Next Writing Contest (WHNWC)

page: 4
6
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
Green thingy? Nobody told me about any green thingies. Did we have to bring our own?


To be cryptic about it, the 'green thingy' only shows up in the dark and always slightly to the left.





posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I see. I will keep an eye open for this green thing. I've got night vision devices. It shouldn't slip past me.



posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justin Oldham
I see. I will keep an eye open for this green thing. I've got night vision devices. It shouldn't slip past me.


1) Upper left hand corner, see this: CUSTOMIZE: DARK

2) Click to LIGHT

3) return to Short Stories Forum and see the list of topped threads.

Another mystery solved




posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Ah-hah. I'll stick to the Dark Side. That means I can tell my strike teams to stand down. Very good.



posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
now how do we vote again?

When does that start up? I can't wait to see this. There was some great stories in this contest. We have some realy talented people writing here.



posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
now how do we vote again?

When does that start up? I can't wait to see this. There was some great stories in this contest. We have some realy talented people writing here.


A little patience, whatukno... it will take a bit of time to get things set up.

There hasn't been a lot of interest in the 'voting idea' at all, and I'm thinking perhaps it should be discussed before we actually try it out.

Whatever method we use, the winners will very likely not be announced until next week.

About the submissions to the contest... you're right, we have some very talented people here.

About the public vote... we all know that any member can post here, unlike Collaborative fiction where you need writer status. Who would be interested in reading the stories and picking their 3 favourites?

You can either let me know via U2U or add a post onto this thread.

If we gather enough willing members by wednesday at the latest, then we'll have a vote. If not, a panel of judges will be picked as in previous contests.



posted on Mar, 3 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I for one would deffinately read the stories and vote (if the contest entrants are allowed to do so), but a panel of judges would be just as good, too.



posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
There hasn't been a lot of interest in the 'voting idea' at all, and I'm thinking perhaps it should be discussed before we actually try it out.

Whatever method we use, the winners will very likely not be announced until next week.

About the submissions to the contest... you're right, we have some very talented people here.

About the public vote... we all know that any member can post here, unlike Collaborative fiction where you need writer status. Who would be interested in reading the stories and picking their 3 favourites?

You can either let me know via U2U or add a post onto this thread.

If we gather enough willing members by wednesday at the latest, then we'll have a vote. If not, a panel of judges will be picked as in previous contests.



I like the idea of a member vote, perhaps as a banner link at the top of the home page or a mass u2u so that members know about it.

Only problem i see with a public vote is that not all the story's may get read and voted on, there's quite a few there and members may only have time to read a few of them before voting.

Or how about a peer vote as i'm sure weve all read each others entry's and then post and vote on a 3,2,1 basis, without being able to vote for your own entry.
Whichever way you choose to go though will be fine with me.


My 2cents.



posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Mojo had a good point with the member voting. They may not get around to reading all of them or they may not be interested in the topics and may not finish a story that would otherwise be great. So a panel of judges might be best in this case.

Either way I know the best method of judging will be chosen. I look forward to the announcement.



posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   
This current writing contest might serve to allow M the chance to canvas for future judges.



posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I for one would just as soon stay with the current judging system this time. I think trying to set up a whole new voting system spur of the moment would cause too much confusion. I am, however, up for working on a good way to implement a public vote for next time.



posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Judging will commence on March 2nd and run for 2 weeks. It will be voted on by the entire membership whether you submitted a story or not. 1 post with 3 votes for the best stories per member. You can even vote for yourself, if you dare. (nudge nudge wink wink) After 2 weeks is up, I'll tally the votes and announce the winner. And, if you don't trust my math, you'll be able to do the count yourselves.


Note, use of a sock puppet for duplicate voting will cause the immediate disqualification for your entry (if you made one) as well as deletion of all your vote posts.




As you can see from the OP of this thread, I don't think this is a 'spur of the moment' decision... it's actually a 'months old idea' that I'd like to try out.



posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I'm on board with the public vote as Masqua described it at the beginning of the contest.



posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Im with the vote as well. I like the idea. and it will also come in handy when the election rolls around this september.



posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I like the way this is going.

We could make the vote public by posting your picks directly onto a thread started just for that purpose.

Do we leave it open for all the membership or only those with writers status?

We could have a window of, say, 48 hours to cast votes and then do the tally to find the winners.

If we could just get a few more to say they're interested, I think we shouls try it.

BTW... there were some truly AWESOME submissions in this contest.

I'm impressed.



posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
Do we leave it open for all the membership or only those with writers status?



But I don't have writer status


I like the 48 hour window to vote... Do we just put in the title of the submissions we like?



posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

But I don't have writer status


I like the 48 hour window to vote... Do we just put in the title of the submissions we like?


As far as I'm concerned, you do have writers status because you've submitted a story, and if it is needed in order to vote, you'd have it prior to the voting window... I'll make sure of that.

As far as voting goes, yes, just the titles... you'll have 3 picks for 1rst, 2nd and 3rd.



posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I like the idea of a completely open voting process. (As opposed to writer-status only.)

Anyone who takes the time to express their opinion is welcome.

Just my two cents...



posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Is a link at the top of the home page for 48hrs possible, this would point enough members in the right direction to vote.
Btw has this thread now turned into a conspiracy of its own, i love this plotting, muhahahha.



posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Just checking in on this contest to see how it's going? Are we all in agreement on the vote idea?



new topics

top topics



 
6
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

log in

join