It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Strength in Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I have a strange story as well as a few questions.

My freshman year of high school. I was basically benching about 90 pounds....my brother is now a freshman and can bench 120.

Sophomore year of high school I had a morbid kundalini awakening. And was hitting the gym half-heartedly (actually prentending to work out, as it was required). Back than I weighed 160 ibs. and 6 ft. I put on my jams. I completely forgot about the 90 pounds the prior year. I just set it up and put it to 200 pounds (because I thought that was the normal weight). I did about 3 sets of 15 reps, then was too exhausted, rested and just for the hell of it I decided to up the anti. Put it at about 220 and did like 3 reps. Then like 1 rep at about 250, that's roughly where I maxed out. At my old school the record was about 310 pounds and that was set by 2 seniors who were husky and on the football team, from what I remember.

Was I lifting alot of weight? Like would it be possible for a frail kid like me to do that? I thought it was the average weight. I wasn't even focusing on how much it was. My friend who lifts said that it would be impossible for someone with my body type. Even my other friend who was taking steroids at that age.

Samson is noted in the Bible as posessing super strength; as well as Greek mythological figures. There's also that occasional story you hear about the 110 pound mom lifting a 2 ton car to save her son/husband. Does anyone have any stories like this? Personal experiences?

When I used to study metaphysics under a teacher. He said the reason this was possible was because they were not thinking about what they were doing. They were just doing it....Though for all I know (and more probably) those types of stories are due to some type of chemical reaction.

Peace,
Levi

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Your teacher was correct.
Mind over matter......always.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
But how does it work with weight-lifting?

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I believe its because things are only as heavy as you make them.
In theory, you could lift 300+ lbs. with your pinky finger, and not break a sweat, if you truly believe its possible.
Your subconscious mind sets limits to what you can and cannot do, if you can control/confuse/forget/alter/convince it otherwise, you (in theory) can do anything. At least thats what i believe (to an extent). Once a new limit is achieved, the old is discarded, and the new takes over.
In your case you might have forgotten what the limitations were, or perhaps your mind was preoccupied with something and you ignored what was going on.

Hope that makes sense

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SamRi890
I believe its because things are only as heavy as you make them.
In theory, you could lift 300+ lbs. with your pinky finger, and not break a sweat, if you truly believe its possible.

err not really no

if your claim had any merit , it would be easily testable

hypnosis , drugs , drunkeness , mental illnesses etc would serve to dissociate a lifter from what he thought he was lifting , and more important what he thought his capacity was

and what of children , how do they " learn " limits ?

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
But there are still the physical limits of the muscles, bones, etc. Are there not?

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
220 is really no big deal,I was doing 280 when I was 19 but I was the stocky butch type but a shorter 5'8" where as my friends were all taller than me,My best friend at the time was way taller than me over 6' and he was very thin but since his frame was stronger bones ,he had no problem benching 220.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I never lifted once though before benching 220. Except for that one time freshman year. Also how did I go from 90 pounds to 220? And I was 15 when I did it. It's more than double the amount.

ignorant_ape, I agree with you. I've thought about that before with mental illness, and so forth.

[edit on 11-12-2006 by Levitationer]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I watched a TV Show covering this topic not so long ago.

Basically they had a doctor trying to roll a 2 tonne car on it's side and he was unable to do this. He was then hypnotised and told that his best friend was trapped under the car and would die unless he could flip the car, he then managed to flip the car easily.

The reason for this is that all of our muscles have the potential for explosive power but we have nerve ending inhibitors preventing us from using our muscles to their maximum potential thus reducing the risk of torn muscles, tendons, ligaments and broken bones.

Once we are put in a life and death situation this all changes. The brain switches of the inhibitor fuction and can make a 7st woman lift a 2 tonne car to save her child, just as hypnosis tricked the doctor on the TV show into thinking his best friend was trapped under the car.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I'm sorry, I lift weights and I have a hard time believing in this. I don't buy it, not even for a second. You're talking almost triple the amount of weights you were able to lift in just one years time, that it not possible (not even through mind over matter).

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
As Breezo has already stated it's down to inhibitors and "mind over matter" The one thing that has been left out of this, which is what tends to fuel the "superman" syndrome is that the tiny 7st woman who frees her child, tears and seriously damages her arms and other muscles in the process.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by breezo
I watched a TV Show covering this topic not so long ago.

Basically they had a doctor trying to roll a 2 tonne car on it's side and he was unable to do this. He was then hypnotised and told that his best friend was trapped under the car and would die unless he could flip the car, he then managed to flip the car easily.

The reason for this is that all of our muscles have the potential for explosive power but we have nerve ending inhibitors preventing us from using our muscles to their maximum potential thus reducing the risk of torn muscles, tendons, ligaments and broken bones.

Once we are put in a life and death situation this all changes. The brain switches of the inhibitor fuction and can make a 7st woman lift a 2 tonne car to save her child, just as hypnosis tricked the doctor on the TV show into thinking his best friend was trapped under the car.

I can give my self that fear , Not to the extent to a car , But stuff like fridges so far.

It only lasts for a few seconds though.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Lets not overlook the age development factor here. LOTS of things change between our freshman and sophomore years including the ability to manipulate weight better with things like improved mini/micro muscle control and balance without significant gains in body mass.

While 250 is a very respectable amount of weight for a 160 pound teen, it's not "superhuman" class. Most reasonably fit people can press their own body weight and there's usually a couple of guys in every gym that can press double this. Our poster here is somewhere in-between.

[edit on 12-12-2006 by Jbright]

new topics

top topics

join