It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big White Nothing

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Hey SO, do you think that someone caused this rather than the system failing? I was just wondering. The last time it went kapoof big time, I was on chat. It took me a couple hours to get my computer running properly again.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
This new scheme is becoming more of a funeral wake than a rebirth. Strange days indeed...most peculiar mama....

Do bear in mind that our man SkepticOverlord is the only person with the expertise to carry out the programming, server maintenance and general I.T. administration on ATS and it's technical infrastructure.

It is a HUGE task to do a real-time crossover from one message board system version to another on a website as highly accessed as us... by one person!

There have always been hiccups along the way with every migration to a new version, and this should be expected, but they are flattened out and everything gets back to normal shortly.

Considering how friggin' amazing SkepticOverlord is at managing to keep his cool in public while spending his entire spare time sorting out the website problems, we should all put some big grins
on our faces showing appreciation and relax knowing issues will get sorted, and not to become ungrateful.

Just think, this is the one of the most knowledgeable guys I've ever met and does a kick-ass with ATS, so just imagine how good he is in his actual field of expertise!

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Man, he probably works his @$$ off all day, solving issues at his day job, just to come home at night and keep this place up and running.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
Do bear in mind that our man SkepticOverlord is the only person with the expertise to carry out the programming...

Rather than seeking to blame SkepticOverlord for his tireless efforts, my post was more in line of the apparent synchronicty between the a dark theme, recent server crashes and that Pearl Harbor day was on the 7th while Lennon died on the 8th.

Is it mere coincidence or dark forces?

I hope it's only a matter of The Planet getting their end of the server problem fixed.

The lunatic is in the hall.
The lunatics are in my hall.
The paper holds their folded faces to the floor
And every day the paper boy brings more.

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

Can throw in the recent record double X-class flare during a solar minimum, as if the timing and odds weren't already bizarre enough.

[edit on 9-12-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
We're scheduling a hardware chassis replacement for our database server that will result in some downtime... more information as I have it.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Can throw in the recent record double X-class flare during a solar minimum, as if the timing and odds weren't already bizarre enough.

Personally I think you are linking to many things together... normally a sign of intelligence but I feel in this cause you are just being too sensitive.

By the way, the recent spate of solar flares may not be so strange, after all we have only just recently been taking notice at the actual force of corona ejections.

Lennon being shot was surely a sad thing to happen, I wouldn't wish anyone to be shot but I still think Lennon was a jerk and yoko a jealous lover who hated the Beatles!!

Anyway,

all the best and a big THUMBS UP for Skeptic Overlords Tireless Work!!!

NeoN HaZe

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
We're scheduling a hardware chassis replacement for our database server that will result in some downtime.

Now that doesn't sound too good.

Hopefully things will turn out for the better.

And can you believe, some people are still nit-picking over the trivial details with the layout.

Well I for one say, GREAT job, S.O. It must surely be difficult as Simon pointed out earlier, to keep your cool, while having major problems with the server, and all the while still trying to implement the layout changes as planned.

Most people don't seem to realize just how much TIME and EFFORT go into redesigning a website, basically from the bottom up. (Considering the problems you mentioned with the legacy code being intertwined with many patches, and customized code, etc.) It is all time-consuming, to say the least.

And now, trying to deal with the server issues as well, while all the while trying to keep everything running, certainly a Herculean task.

My hat off to you, S. O.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neon Haze
Personally I think you are linking to many things together... normally a sign of intelligence but I feel in this cause you are just being too sensitive.

Perhaps my sensitivity is a side effect of ATS withdrawel...heh

Still it's strange, considering the X9.0 was strongest CME since 11/4/03 and the server decided to malfunction during the time of an S3 radiation storm with the proton fluence peaking.

Scientists Say Sun Generated Solar Tsunami
It is unusual to see such an event from a ground-based observatory, Balasubramaniam said. And it was also unusual that it occurred near solar minimum, when the Sun is at its least active during an 11-year cycle.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

On the ligher side or is that darker? Here's another theme song:

Fell On Black Days

Whatsoever Ive feared has come to life
Whatsoever Ive fought off became my life
Just when everyday seemed to greet me with a smile
Sunspots have faded
And now Im doing time
Cause I fell on black days

Or with odds like these, perhaps it's time to play:

[edit on 9-12-2006 by Regenmacher]

Ex

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Thanx
SO!!!

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   

We're scheduling a hardware chassis replacement for our database server that will result in some downtime... more information as I have it.

Good Luck Man....

See you on the flip side.

NeoN HaZe

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

"See you on the other side, Ray..."

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Hope the server maintenance fixes the problems.

See ya, when the coast is clear..

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Wow, that was faster than I expected.

Everything must have gone relatively well..?

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
We'll see.

I'm still not satisfied with the service from our privider. I had to twist arms, yell-and-scream, threaten, pester, and be an outright a-hole to get them to realize that a sudden occurrence of intermittent and unpredictable sudden halts with no error logging on a Linux box is a hardware issue and would not be fixed by an HD reformat and OS reload.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
What happened anyway. What happened to the old drives.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by truttseeker

Our existing drive array was installed into a new server chassis. This is why we were able to return quickly. Rebuilding our 4+ gigabyte database on new hard drives (or after an OS reload) would have taking much longer.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Oh snap. Well you did it. Great job man i gotta say (and I think i speak for everyone when i say this) you have done a job way above anything anyone should have to do and you always come out with a good attitude for the site. Great job

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
It all sounds good. Hopefully you can resume the intended design changes without having to worry about this much further.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by truttseeker

Our existing drive array was installed into a new server chassis. This is why we were able to return quickly. Rebuilding our 4+ gigabyte database on new hard drives (or after an OS reload) would have taking much longer.

I have absolutly no idea what any of that means. But thank you for your hard work. It is very much appreciated.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join