It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC Approves "F" Word on TV and Radio!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Here's a good question for all those who have answered and commented on this topic/thread:

* How many of you have children? I am in the process of adopting.
* How many of you that have children would allow your children to watch programs with sexual material and obscene word usages? Not until a certain age unless I watching it with them. Sexual content makes me more uncomfortable with my neices and nephews than does profanity.
* How many of you would allow your kids, over/at a conversation at the dinner table or at home or anywhere for that matter, to say the "F" words to you and around you or to anyone that is in your presence? I would I think after they were 14 or 15.
* How many of you, in a formal work setting, say the "F" word around your boss or to your boss? I do.
* How many of you use the "F" word around your girlfriends parents or your own parents? Not my girlfriends parents. I do around my parents. My mother is 63 and my father is 82. He uses the F word.
* How many of you use the "F" word at board meetings or presentations? I do.
* How many of you say the "F" word to your and at your commanding officer(s)? Never in the military. Doubt I would.
* How many of you say the "F" word around your school principal or to him/her...or a Dean or President of a campus? I used it in high school to the Dean and also around my college professors.
* When you answer these questions: How many of you are BS' ing? I answered everything honestly.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lampyridae
The point is, # is used as an obscenity and an insult. Why? Shagging is great fun, and it keeps the human race going. Shag and # describe the same thing and yet have different connotations. It's the use of the word that counts, not what its spelling is.

However, the concern over kids absorbing everything they watch on TV is well justified. The little runts absorb everything they see and then mimic it. Look at school shootings. SOMETHING besides ready access to firearms is causing these things to happen, the perpetrators are not freaks.

I have the F-word dictionary and most people would agree that it has thousands of connotations these days. Tone of voice tells a lot. I rarely if EVER use it to refer to sex. I use it for "Oh Crap." "I dropped something". "No way!" "I don't believe it." "Fantastic." and a million others. Also, I don't believe profanity is causing school shootings. Neither are the guns. The school shootings are a result (in my opinion) of the cruelty of children (which has been around I think since forever) the doping up of children on drugs who side effects are unknown, some parents not being in touch with their children...and here's the kicker...some children are evil!!!!!! You know all those evil adults around that kill and rape and murder...they were probably evil children too. Evil exists just like good. Hate can be taught, but in my opinion, evil is innate.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 06:18 PM
link   
# yeh although i am surprised, but its silly all the editting, kids hear it anyways its just another word...

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Skadi,

I don't desire to make the world in my image as you suggest.

But I am against limiting the choices that any of us can make in life. That is why morality cannot be imposed on everyone and be fair, yet without doing that, we end up in chaos.

Thus my point, you cannot be any more correct than those you attack or criticize. We must all think before we try to impose our views on others, to at least accept responsiblitiy for our actions.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   
The word in question was actually first broadcast on the BBCs radio 4 a number of years ago - in a radio adaptation of James Joyces "Ulysees". Since that time it has been used after the watershed in a number of UK dramas and of course on satellite showing films made in the US - where i belive it crops up most ofton.

Having lived in both the US and the UK i find a remarkable double standard regarding - what is actually known as "anglo saxon" english. Its interesting that the US has resisted the showing of breasts yet the language of films is ofton much stroinger than it is in UK produced films.

Language does actually evolve - and i think this is what is happening - belive it or not the word "P*ss" is a swear word in the UK - but being pissed means angry to the average american. As far as i have read Shakespeares "The Tempest" is the first quote i can find
"I am all horse piss"
This would not have shocked contemporary audiences - however try saying that word during the 1950s and 60s on UK TV.

The moral decline is not the use of the word on TV but rather its use in common speech - rather than a better more thought out phrase. And that is actually a fault of the educational systems in shapeing how our children think. If you disagree with this thought - think how many times people use constructive methods to use swear words on here - rather than constructing sentences to refute an arguement - this thread actually provides a good starting point.

My point - before taking the moral high ground - look at the very ground you are standing upon - or rather - "people in glass houses would do better than to throw stones"

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 06:35 PM
link   
What's the big f**king deal bitch? Language doesn't hurt anyone. F**k f**kity f**k f**k!

Has my filthy f**king mouth corrupted anyone? I didn't f**king think so.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The only people I have ever known that swear all the time were ex-cons or very nasty people. Would hate to see it become a 'social habit' of any kind.

I mean we swear for a reason, right? We are trying to make a statement about the act itself, make it serious. If the lexicon of cursing becomes common then what then becomes cursing? Being polite? The masters of darkness would love that turn of affairs I think.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
The only people I have ever known that swear all the time were ex-cons or very nasty people. Would hate to see it become a 'social habit' of any kind.

I mean we swear for a reason, right? We are trying to make a statement about the act itself, make it serious. If the lexicon of cursing becomes common then what then becomes cursing? Being polite? The masters of darkness would love that turn of affairs I think.

WTF???

You must be a member of the royal family if you think it's only criminals or bad people that swear regularly. Get real for Christ's sake.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 06:54 PM
link   
TheNeo

There are many better ways to get a point across than swearing. Langage in itself conveys feelings - non more brutal at times than swearing. In creating an environment to resolve conflict the elimination of negative phrases - inclusing swearing is actually paramount to a negotiator. To resort to swearing in most cases actually incites behavior contrary to that resolution. No matter how good the person feels saying it - generally it does result in conflict.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The inability to express yourself without the constant use of words which heretofore were considered obscene is a indication of a person of low educational status and to some of low intellect by those who use such terms. Indeed is your grasp of the English language so poor that you must use certain terms (such as the "F" word) to express your view point. Is your ability to refute someone's arguement limited to merely stating "Frock you, that is male bovie feces"? Cannot you write a simple paragraph expressing your thoughts and view point without using four letter words. This issue is not only about the decay of morals in this nation and abroad, it is about the decay of culture, expression, and education. Many generations have grown up and have been able to express thoughts, view points, and deeds without the use of such terms. Now we have people who cannot utter more than one sentence or write more than one line without requiring these words to express themselves. This is not advancement, this is going backwards. We are decaying in culture and our expressions show it. Are you so limited in vocabulary that you cannot write a simple paragraph without the word "f**k"?

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Here's a good question for all those who have answered and commented on this topic/thread:

* How many of you have children?

I DO

* How many of you that have children would allow your children to watch programs with sexual material and obscene word usages?

Depends on the subject matter of the movie and how it is being handled. Foul language for the sake of foul language and no substance - NO!

* How many of you would allow your kids, over/at a conversation at the dinner table or at home or anywhere for that matter, to say the "F" words to you and around you or to anyone that is in your presence?

I'd bitch-slap them into next Wednesday.

* How many of you, in a formal work setting, say the "F" word around your boss or to your boss?

No. I have, however, had bosses that I have used the F word ABOUT.

* How many of you use the "F" word around your girlfriends parents or your own parents?

Not me.

* How many of you use the "F" word at board meetings or presentations?

Not me.

* How many of you say the "F" word to your and at your commanding officer(s)?

Not me.

* How many of you say the "F" word around your school principal or to him/her...or a Dean or President of a campus?

Not me.

* When you answer these questions: How many of you are BS' ing?

Not me.

I thought so.......

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 16-11-2003 by Seekerof]

I think the most appalling thing is that there seems to be several people who don't get why this is not a positive step. That worries me more than anything else.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Wowzers......"all repugnants are going to hell"......quite harsh and prophetic at the sametime there Colonel.
Question oh Christian though claimest to be.......:
Just who the frock do you think you are to "judge and condemn" repugnants to hell?
Who vested you with the authority of the "AllMighty"?

I rest my case

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jagdflieger
The inability to express yourself without the constant use of words which heretofore were considered obscene is a indication of a person of low educational status and to some of low intellect by those who use such terms. Indeed is your grasp of the English language so poor that you must use certain terms (such as the "F" word) to express your view point. Is your ability to refute someone's arguement limited to merely stating "Frock you, that is male bovie feces"? Cannot you write a simple paragraph expressing your thoughts and view point without using four letter words. This issue is not only about the decay of morals in this nation and abroad, it is about the decay of culture, expression, and education. Many generations have grown up and have been able to express thoughts, view points, and deeds without the use of such terms. Now we have people who cannot utter more than one sentence or write more than one line without requiring these words to express themselves. This is not advancement, this is going backwards. We are decaying in culture and our expressions show it. Are you so limited in vocabulary that you cannot write a simple paragraph without the word "f**k"?

Okay, I want to give jag a cookie, because it just can't be said better.

I almost walked out of the movie Seven...why? Because Brad Pitt's character couldn't speak three words in a row without # some where in there. INTELLIGENT people don't talk that way. Unfortunately, it appears that none of the INTELLIGENT people went to work for TV, so, we can hope to see this new found freedom tremendously misused and abused and the whole thing go down the crapper...

[Edited on 16-11-2003 by Valhall]

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Silk,

I cannot agree more that there is many ways to get an idea across without swearing.

But remember what you hear when you hear others swear. You hear more than a few uncommon words. You may also hear anger, a disrespectful stance, a desire to embarass, and a host of other sentiments either implied or not with the words given and their method of delivery.

We as a society have what we have and have achieved what we have due to a certain degree of civility which we all must agree to. It does restrict many people many times and this is the quandry with civilization. We must limit the rights of the individual to ensure civilization can exist for the greater good.

I do not want cursing and swearing to become 'common place' thanks and I think it is not a good idea.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
I almost walked out of the movie Seven...why? Because Brad Pitt's character couldn't speak three words in a row without # some where in there. INTELLIGENT people don't talk that way. Unfortunately, it appears that none of the INTELLIGENT people went to work for TV, so, we can hope to see this new found freedom tremendously misused and abused and the whole thing go down the crapper...
[Edited on 16-11-2003 by Valhall]

This is true. The movie was very good though. Brad Pitt's character was abnormal and funky! He's usually good though, so maybe it was script or meant to be that way, who know?

Speaking of Movies that use the same Word Over and Over to the point of Insanity!! Try and count how many times the word "Man" is said while watching Cheech and Chongs "Up in Smoke!". I'll bet you can't make it even 10 minutes past the point when Cheech picks Chong up Hitchhiking....They Use the word "Man" like Smurfs use "Smurf- Smurfy, Smurfed, Smurftastic, etc..."

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 09:03 PM
link   
While we are on the subject of overused phases, I would like to see a sports figure who does not use the phrase "you know" every fifth or sixth word.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Uses for the word Frock!

justin.justnet.com.au... ... btw, you'll have to replace frock.html with f u c k.html or the link won't work

[Edited on 16-11-2003 by Sapphire]

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Funny link Sapphire. Unfortunately, you have to click on it and then "back the frock out" and put in the real f-bomb to get to it!

LOL!

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I don't see the usage of the F-word as an issue of immorality, or even being wrong. Personally, I want to know who in the fu�k sat down and wrote a list of words that are not to be used. I have a hard time getting offended by words, most people I know are the same way. If you want to offend me, attack my core beliefs, the # word simply won't do it.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Well now its ok: #, #, #, #, #, #. #, #!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join