It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FCC Approves "F" Word on TV and Radio!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 02:34 AM
link   
I'd like everyone to ask themselves a question:
"Which of these is best for the Human Race in the long term?"
a.)Morality by Force in the form of "Government Law & Punishment". (Indoctrination ReInforced by External Authority)

b.)Morality by Personal Choice in the form of "Experience" and/or "Objective Self Assessment". (Personal Choice ReInforced by Internal Validation of Truth)

Both a & b are certainly valid options with the possibility of success or failure as a result. However, one of the choices is closer to being "Slavery" with the other closer to "Freedom". One of the choices is also closer to "Taught" with the other "Learned". One of the choices is closer to being "Dependent" with the other closer to being "Independent".

Personally I don't believe Words are anything to fear or suppress because doing so also includes promoting ignorance. Judgement by each individual to use and interpret words requires them to be Aware, Intelligent, Resourceful and Able to associate Meaning. Nobody can do the thinking for Others and expect Others to Act Responsibly. Words are like pieces to a puzzle and without having them ALL available there will never be a clear completed picture.

I'd also like to add that with Words come Meanings. This specific word itself "#" usually carries the Meaning of "Lustful Fornication". Obviously the usefullness of such a word and it's meaning can be debated as to it's degrees of Harmful/Helpful content. However there are many words that are used publicly and frequently and without any suppression which have a much more grotesque meaning. Words like: War, Torture, Murder, Molestation, Rape, Disease, Betrayl, etc......Words such as these are heard and spoken by children of all ages all the time and we just call it "News".

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
The obscenity is selfishness and that take myriad forms, one for example is wanting to change everything to meet one's preconceived notions.

Um, if Im reading correctly, youre describing yourself............

Obscenity is not selfishness, its simply a matter of emotion and linguistics.

Banning words because you dont like them and your limited ideological views prohibit them is selfish, because you superimpose your own tiny morality on a larger pool of humanity who really doesnt care about just your views.

Banning words because someone called them "naughty" is mind control.

Lets look at the word "#" in history.

It comes from the root old Germanic word "ficken" meaning to copulate, to have intercourse. The anglo saxon variation became "#". People once used this word freely, and no one found it obscene. They used it like we use cheesy lame bull# terms like "make love".

Yet I cannot seem tp pinpoint a time in history when native english words like "#" and "#" became obscene. Words that once described basic body functions.

So until you can pinpoint and explain to me why the words "#" and "#" are deemed obscene, I shall not deem them so. And dont give me some dopey ass bible # either. I dont remeber anything in the bible listing holy obscenities and words that were "potty mouthed".

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 02:44 AM
link   
mojom,

b) is the best choice without reservation.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I say good. Little kids hear frock and much worst all the time. Everything can't be for them anyway. Adults outnumber the little nosepickers anyway!

Now if we could only get over our nudity aversion....

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 03:00 AM
link   
skadi,

all very nice,

but where is it to end?

sex with children?

incest?

you tell me when it ends?

not that I would want liberals to have the power to define what morality is.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
skadi,

all very nice,

but where is it to end?

sex with children?

incest?

you tell me when it ends?

not that I would want liberals to have the power to define what morality is.

Just another example of the slippery slope facing our world today, I think. One things leads to another, until a complete change in society has taken place one, all step at a time, all because the step before was seemingly insignificant except when viewed in terms of the whole.

Individually, the changes, such as language, may seem to be of no concern. But once the first step is taken, and followed by another, and followed by another....

This may not be earth-shattering by itself, but it does open the door a little further, I believe.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 01:04 PM
link   
notice how far we've come since i love lucy wasn't allowed to say the word pregnant?

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I find televangelists, praising god and asking for money and handouts to be obscene and bad for children, but I dont see that gettting banned by the FCC.

"amen!"

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Here's a good question for all those who have answered and commented on this topic/thread:

* How many of you have children?
* How many of you that have children would allow your children to watch programs with sexual material and obscene word usages?
* How many of you would allow your kids, over/at a conversation at the dinner table or at home or anywhere for that matter, to say the "F" words to you and around you or to anyone that is in your presence?
* How many of you, in a formal work setting, say the "F" word around your boss or to your boss?
* How many of you use the "F" word around your girlfriends parents or your own parents?
* How many of you use the "F" word at board meetings or presentations?
* How many of you say the "F" word to your and at your commanding officer(s)?
* How many of you say the "F" word around your school principal or to him/her...or a Dean or President of a campus?
* When you answer these questions: How many of you are BS' ing?

I thought so.......

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 16-11-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I don't have children, but i do, nor want any of those things to happen

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by outsidethemilkglass
notice how far we've come since i love lucy wasn't allowed to say the word pregnant?

I remember when they weren't allowed to show them sleeping in the same bed together either! Just two single beds with a night stand between them. No wonder it took so long for "Little Ricky Jr." to come into the picture. The fact that they had a child at all means "Ricky Sr." was either VERY well endowed or had extremely good aim to knock up Lucy from that distance!

[Edited on 16-11-2003 by mOjOm]

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The point is, # is used as an obscenity and an insult. Why? Shagging is great fun, and it keeps the human race going. Shag and # describe the same thing and yet have different connotations. It's the use of the word that counts, not what its spelling is.

However, the concern over kids absorbing everything they watch on TV is well justified. The little runts absorb everything they see and then mimic it. Look at school shootings. SOMETHING besides ready access to firearms is causing these things to happen, the perpetrators are not freaks.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Bout #ING TIME!

Its stupid to censor "obscenities" for "protecting the children".

Children have some of the foulest little mouths when out of earshot from adults. The whole charade of some sort of "morality" by censoring curse words was plain stupid.

Why the words, #, #, bitch, #, ect became obscenities, Ill never know: these were once normal non obscene base words of Old English. Since when do certain words of ones native language become vulgar and obscene?

I find televangelists, praising god and asking for money and handouts to be obscene and bad for children, but I dont see that gettting banned by the FCC.

Goddamned religious right!

kids r kids....they move on at an amazing rate, i shocked my parents,but that's nothing compared to 10 yr old little #s screaming things i wouldnt dared have said anyday

kids thrive for knowledge they're depreived of, grass looks greener on the other side

parents'll have to start tackling these things, b4 it goes way outta hand, so i, for 1, support skadi

Cyrus

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It's #ing fantastic.
its just a #ing word.
The world needs to chill the # out.
I should shut the # up.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I cannot believe that they actually aproved it!

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Ok now ATS approved that no more F words!

You will be banned if you use a F work.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I'm glad that this is happening. I hate TV censors, I think they should let people say whatever the hell they want on TV, but still have an advanced ratings system so viewers know what to expect when watching a particular program. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Great post, Josh, must have really taxed your noodle, there, huh?

Just think, Seekerof, give them another few years of their social reengineering and we will have no idea what decency and morality is. There'll be no right or wrong, it'll all be up to the individual, who will naturally take the path of least resistance. Undoubtedly a sorry future we'll endure for a while.

Thomas...do you not use the F word. It's in movies. It's all over the place. It's in common usage when people aren't with their parents or children...and sometimes...it in usage even in those cases. I think everyone uses it and I wondered when this would make it into the lexicon of television. (Is there a Lexicon of Television?) Anyway...I'm sure show that are on before 9:00pm aren't likely to use it because it will piss off the constiuency. I can see it on NYPD BLue, the Practice, the Copy shows. Actually...I'd like to watch my Sunday morning political shows and hear George S or George W say, "What the F are you talking about?"

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by saturnine_sweet
Not sure what to say here, skadi has a point, yet, at the same time..just because everyone does it, doesnt make it good. of course, I also think, compared to the amount of sex and nudity on TV, what difference does one word make? And, in truth, if you dont want your kids to see it on TV, they dont have to watch TV

Yeah...I think if I were watching NYPD Blue, it would be a lot safer, realistic and DECENT to see Andy call some child molester a F*CK than some of the stuff they put on there. That new young copy is always dryhumping some woman up against a wall. Like that's any better? I'm SURE since NYPD Blue is the first to push ALL the envelopes they'll be the first to use it. (You'd think that's all I watch.)

posted on Nov, 16 2003 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Just another example of the slippery slope facing our world today, I think. One things leads to another, until a complete change in society has taken place one, all step at a time, all because the step before was seemingly insignificant except when viewed in terms of the whole.

Individually, the changes, such as language, may seem to be of no concern. But once the first step is taken, and followed by another, and followed by another....

This may not be earth-shattering by itself, but it does open the door a little further, I believe.

Sort of luck abolishing slavery, given women the right to vote, giving blacks the right to vote. I mean where does it end....IT DOESN'T. It's called evolution. Every new evil we unleash or forgive leads to some new evil...and some new understanding or good as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join