It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Questions

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Psychological studies have shown that the black uniforms seem more authoratative. A lot of need the fear of the law put into them. I am not saying that officers should be mean but they must be stern.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
If someone doesn't care enough to obey the law in the first place, why would he be more willing to do so because the cops are more "authoritative"? The only thing the black uniforms does is "Put the fear of the law" into everyday people.

Cops would still be as intimidating to crooks, just not so much to anyone else. Cops have bulletproof armour, constant communication with the department, guns, tasers, batons, the support of the city, state, and in most cases Federal Government, and any attempt to argue with a cop, or defend yourself from harm is automatically a crime. Cops and "The Law" are scary enough as it is, why go the extra mile and alienate the law-abiding too?

And please spare me any of the usual "If your not breaking the law, you have nothing to fear" bull.

I had to edit this, it sounded a little more hostile than I meant it to. In spite of my avatar and sig, I'm actually very much pro-LEO and have ambitions of becomming a cop myself once I get my CLEET. So this isn't meant to be as "cop-bashing" as it sounds. Just "Authoritarianism-Bashing".

[edit on 13-2-2007 by Nicotine1982]

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicotine1982
Cops would still be as intimidating to crooks, just not so much to anyone else. Cops have bulletproof armour, constant communication with the department, guns, tasers, batons, the support of the city, state, and in most cases Federal Government, and any attempt to argue with a cop, or defend yourself from harm is automatically a crime. Cops and "The Law" are scary enough as it is, why go the extra mile and alienate the law-abiding too?

And please spare me any of the usual "If your not breaking the law, you have nothing to fear" bull.

[edit on 13-2-2007 by Nicotine1982]

We used the two branch method in our city. We had the CP's which had the old blue uniforms, and we had the PO's which had the black uniform it brought a sense of balance. Personally I like the Black uniform myself, I think it looks better.

I hope you someday do become an officer, just beware the blanket parties at the academies. At most academies if you mess up your roomates have to do the push-ups, then when you go back to the room your roomates are waiting with a bar of soap in a sock and a blanket.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Is there much corruption in your department / neighbouring departments? How much do you hear about it? Is it covered up a great deal? Have you ever have to testify / arrest another officer?

Just wondering as you talked about the officer who tried to plant drugs on someone.

Oh, and where do you work? Your location says 'Kyoto'. Are you working there?

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Aside from the given reasons that it promotes other legitimate crimes, why is it that prostitution is for the most part illegal?

I feel that a lot of vices are merely illegal, because the income capacity cannot be controlled by the government. For example, drug manufacturers could never compete with small scale production of lets say "meth" if it was legalized. Pot is no different. If it was legal for anyone to grow, it would bring in billions of dollars annually with no way to tax it because any idiot could grow there own.

I feel prostitution is the same. Any person with genitalia can go out there and make money without any special skills, licenses, or oversight and that is my opinion.

What do you think?

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AOTEK
Is there much corruption in your department / neighbouring departments? How much do you hear about it? Is it covered up a great deal? Have you ever have to testify / arrest another officer?
Just wondering as you talked about the officer who tried to plant drugs on someone.
Oh, and where do you work? Your location says 'Kyoto'. Are you working there?

I worked for the Danville Police Department for three years, then I worked for the Virginia State Police for 2 years. I now live in Kyoto Japan.

There wasnt much corruption period, there was a few officers that were heavy handed or lazy but thats why blanket parties were created.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
What's new?

You hate us, then complain when we are not "Johnny on the spot" to your trespassing complaint.

You hate us, then call us to come help you.

Even though you hate us, we will always come and we come prepared to lay our lives down to save yours.

While you are running from the street brawl, we are running to it. Yet you hate us.

You say we should be out arresting crack dealers instead of giving you a ticket. Even though vastly more people are killed on the highways each year by speeders.

You say we are picking on you when we stop you and search your car, even though we find dope. So I guess we are picking on you.

Of course we are racial profiling when we stop middle eastern looking men prior to boarding aircraft. Maybe that is because the VAST majority of terrorists are middle eastern males.

You have a bad experience with one police officer and all of a sudden the entire 700K police officers in the country are corrupt, they are all racist and out to get you. Give it a rest will you. What are YOU doing for your country, your community, your fellow man?

Maybe you should consider this. At the end of the day I am going home to my wife. I will not even remember you name then. Not if I arrested you, ticketed you or saved your butt. Yet, you hate me and call me a pig, criminal, dirty and more graphic names on a regular basis. Still I will get dressed in the middle of the night to come save your stupid butt when you get your self in a situation you can't control.

You don't see the number of times I step out and stop the car that was going to hit the little girl. The times I go into a domestic and arrest the man that was going to kill his wife. The times I kick a door in and take the pistol away from the 14 year old that was going to commit suicide.

All you care about is your one little incident in which you branded all police officers your enemy. (At least until you need us)

A favorite comment I have heard a hundred times; Well they arrested my son/daughter because he/she is black. Even though there were white people there doing the same thing.
(BS!!! There is ALWAYS more to that story) (Remember, NO department is immune from civil liability, and if this was true, they would be sued, yet strangely they don't) hmmmmmmm

Maybe you should take a look at your emotions and evaluate these men and women that are ready EACH AND EVERY day to die so that you can live.

And again ask yourself....

WHAT ARE YOU DOING FOR YOUR COUNTRY, YOUR COMMUNITY, YOUR FELLOW MAN

Semper

Semper's thread.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I didnt read through all the questions so I hope this hasnt been asked already...

Ya ever wish people in traffic would hurry up a little? (I noticed this the other day when I was in some not so heavy traffic a police car was in traffic with us and everyone was pegged exactly on the speed limit)

[edit on 14-3-2007 by whatukno]

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
I didnt read through all the questions so I hope this hasnt been asked already...

Ya ever wish people in traffic would hurry up a little? (I noticed this the other day when I was in some not so heavy traffic a police car was in traffic with us and everyone was pegged exactly on the speed limit)

[edit on 14-3-2007 by whatukno]

Yes it is especially annoying when you are responding to a class 2 call and the traffic slows you down.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
Aside from the given reasons that it promotes other legitimate crimes, why is it that prostitution is for the most part illegal?

I feel that a lot of vices are merely illegal, because the income capacity cannot be controlled by the government. For example, drug manufacturers could never compete with small scale production of lets say "meth" if it was legalized. Pot is no different. If it was legal for anyone to grow, it would bring in billions of dollars annually with no way to tax it because any idiot could grow there own.

I feel prostitution is the same. Any person with genitalia can go out there and make money without any special skills, licenses, or oversight and that is my opinion.

What do you think?

Simply put prostitution is illegal becasue other crimes are associated with it. Plus, every single Political Action Committee is against it.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesMcMahn

Originally posted by SpyderLady
I have a question. Why is the divorce rate so high with police officers? I ask because I have never dated anyone in law enforcement and a man on a dating site emailed me.

Police officers have to deal with a lot of stress, when they come home the are usually exhausted and extremely stressed from work. Studies have shown that police officers have a 60% divorce rate and that the leading cause is stress.

I forgot to mention the hours also. When I was working for the Danville Police Department we were on an eight day cycle, we would work 4 day shifts(7am-7pm) then 3 days off, then 4 night shifts(7pm-7am) and 5 days off. That can put a strain on a relationship.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I had real trouble maintaining a relationship, what with SWAT and all...

Bad hours and not much time off...

Nice thread JM!!!

Semper

posted on Mar, 24 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I managed to read this thread of yours at last James,good thread
, and it was very interesting.

It would have been better if I had of read this thread first and then wouldn`t have had to ask some rhetorical questions myself on the other threads.

Nicotine (sorry if I got that wrong) asked you many of the same questions I did with a similar line of thought.

It did not occur to me that you live in Japan when I saw your location under your avatar, I thought you were a cop in America.

Are you in the police force there?

If so or if not,how is Japan compared to America from your police experiences? (safer etc)

I found another vid you may want to add to yours

Police Officer vs. Drugged Man

A couple of obvious questions came to mind from watching this clip, is why do police officers in some cases not have a partner?

The other thoughts I had is,its plain to see civilians didn`t want to get involved,well at least until near the end when the officer had this guy more in control, do you think this is because they are afraid (which in this vid I`d say they are) or because of dislike toward police in general,or that they might be held liable and maybe a combination of them all.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 02:23 AM
link   

A couple of obvious questions came to mind from watching this clip, is why do police officers in some cases not have a partner?

JM,

I'll get this one if it's ok...

Manpower...

Plain and simple...

Not enough of us, under 700K policing a population of 300Million..

I have a partner, but we almost never ride together...

Semper

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

Manpower...

Plain and simple...

Not enough of us, under 700K policing a population of 300Million..

I have a partner, but we almost never ride together...

Semper

Ridiculous.

Why do think this is semper?

If there was a larger police presence,do you think it possible the Gov believes that people will start screaming police state and fight back?

Or are they just being totally stingy,whist spending money on bogus wars.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   
We drive our cars until they have 200K-300K miles. NO MONEY IN THE BUDGET

20 to 30 % of all officers make below poverty level and qualify for FOODSTAMPS

If I want to qualify more than the required ONE TIME a year with my PISTOL, I have to BUY MY OWN AMMO... NO MONEY IN THE BUDGET

I had to purchase my own CAMERA or take crime scene photo's with a POLAROID NO MONEY IN THE BUDGET

Other items I have purchased in my career because of NO MONEY IN THE BUDGET

SHOTGUN
SWAT CLOTHES
BOOTS
TICKET BOOK HOLDER
FLASHLIGHTS
DRESS UNIFORM
ETC

So a Partner?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No sorry pal,

NO MONEY IN THE BUDGET

Semper

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Disgusting treatment!

I know the police here arn`t rich,but at least they get payed about a K a week,not that I`d be happy with that especially being a police officer,but at least they dont have to scrape to make ends meet.

Here wiki has a little bit of info and pics of our local police force.

The only thing that makes me wary is the badge, upside down pentagram.

You`d maybe better off being a security guard.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
NAW,

Now don't get the wrong idea...

My first Police Job paid 5.25 an hour... That was a LONG time ago... 21 years

I have moved up so to speak and I make a decent living now....

But there are still towns that pay less than 9 dollars an hour to their policemen and then gripe and complain that they are not "Johnny on the spot" 24/7...

They usually take longer to respond because they are at their second job unloading UPS trucks or some such..

That's why I get a good laugh when so many complain because it took so long for the police to get to their complaint..

Semper

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
You know what GPS,

I have been all over the world and the one place I always seemed to miss was Australia...

I wanted to go, just never got the right opportunity to enjoy your legendary hospitality..
A couple of the times I was in Korea and Japan, my fellow snipers jumped a MAC and went there for a week....
I always seemed to have another school, or training or something that kept me from joining them..

Semper

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by gps777
It did not occur to me that you live in Japan when I saw your location under your avatar, I thought you were a cop in America.

Are you in the police force there?

If so or if not,how is Japan compared to America from your police experiences? (safer etc)

I live in Japan now, but I worked for the Danville City Police Department, and the Virginia State Police. The police in Japan have my utmost respect they have a 5 shot .38 revolver that they keep in their cars for ermergencies, but when they are out on the streets or out of their cars they have no firearms. They have to handle everything with their other equipment.

Originally posted by gps777Police Officer vs. Drugged Man

The other thoughts I had is,its plain to see civilians didn`t want to get involved,well at least until near the end when the officer had this guy more in control, do you think this is because they are afraid (which in this vid I`d say they are) or because of dislike toward police in general,or that they might be held liable and maybe a combination of them all.

Most departments are too poor and too understaffed to have officers partner up. A lot of civilians will help I could list countless times I have been assisted by civilians.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join