It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popes visit to turkey tommorow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Well i remember a while ago somewhere on here we talked about the planned trip by the Pope to Turkey. It was a while ago as i said and i myself had forgotten all about until i realised it is tommorow that the Pope will be making his journey to Turkey. The last Turk who tried to assiainate Pope John paul II back in 1981 has actually wrote to Pope benedict and advised him it would be best for him to postpone this trip.

What do you think will come of this trip? Will it be another assasination attempt, A unite of Muslim and Catholic views or just another day with nothing special to report??????

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Possibly a major turning point in the history of the modern world. Lets hope not.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Honestly, it would not surprise me if he is assassinated...

May all the Christian world, especially the Catholics revenge his death if he killed.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I too have been wondering about this. What ever happens it should be interesting. I predict at the very least riots, at worst......We end up with a religious war between the Catholics and the Muslims

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I could be mistaken,but wasnt there some prophecy about this pope not being around for long?And then there would be 1 left to go?

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
hmmm, got a bad feeling about this one.
fingers crossed im wrong though.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I feel, Ratzinger's in all kinds of trouble. He'd be best to step down as I feel he cannot overcome the extremist hate that again has been fed to grow. Apologies and such cannot help him or the Catholic Church at this point.

Dallas

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Popes don't resign. I mean, they can.. they just don't.

Alot of people in turkey are again angry because the Pope has said Turkey should not join the EU, as it is a "Christian Club" - popes words.

A war between Catholics and Muslims?

Kill the Pope.. I fear the outcome will be massive. Catholicism is nothing in America, but in old Europe, especially Spain and Italy and also France, the Holy See is worth dieing for. I confirmed my allegiance to the Catholic Church, I would support a full retaliation if the Pope, Monarch of the Holly Church is killed in Turkey, and the next Pope will be hard pressed to bring swift measures against Islam. I think it is time the Church understands that we are not, never have been and will never be friends (with Muslims) and the PC BS will only end in disaster.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
So why is the Pope visiting Turkey and even a mosque for that matter? Why did the previous Pope also visit Turkey? Why do the Vatican and Muslim leaders as well as other Christian leaders routinely meet with each other? Why do so many Muslims live in predominantly Christian countries?

Because Christians and Muslims DO get along. I can even recall a few mixed marriages that I personally know about.

I've been to Turkey and so have a great number of other Americans, Europeans, etc. It's probably one of the most, if not THE most, heavily visited Muslim countries by the Western World. Nothing is going to happen to the Pope there. Turn off your TV, turn off your computer, and go check out the country for yourself, you'll be surprised how much there is to learn.

[edit on 27-11-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Turkey is the most Westernized and most modern Islamic nation in the world. No doubts about that, it also has a good sized Christian population as well. Why is the Pope visiting? To keep relations between Christians and Muslims. Does that make him safe? No. Who tried to assassinate John Paul? .. Oh.. a Turk.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I hope nothing happens, I honestly do. That won't change things though.

Extremists push and push until a backlash smacks them hard. It hasn't happened yet but you can bet the farm it's in the mail and will be delivered.

Hopefully all will go well tomorrow.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The pope is a reptilian (not originaly, body taken over with control) who should be imprisoned than influence thousands / millions of people with his own oppinions than that of true unconditional love. He is evil. I have no religion.

7A

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Turkey is the most Westernized and most modern Islamic nation in the world. No doubts about that, it also has a good sized Christian population as well. Why is the Pope visiting? To keep relations between Christians and Muslims. Does that make him safe? No. Who tried to assassinate John Paul? .. Oh.. a Turk.

Exactly, to keep relations, which implies there is already good relations there. By the way, where did the Turk shoot him? Not in Turkey, in Italy. And what were the circumstances? Not religious...

On March 2, 2006, an Italian parliamentary commission concluded that the Soviet Union was behind the attempt, in retaliation for John Paul II's support to Solidarity, the Polish workers' movement, a thesis which had already been supported by Michael Ledeen and the CIA at the time. The report stated that certain Bulgarian security departments were utilized to prevent the Soviet Union's role from being uncovered. [5] [6] However, alternative theories also exist, and the Pope himself declared during a May 2002 visit to Bulgaria that this country had nothing to do with the assassination attempt. The failed assassin was also a member of the ultra-nationalist Turkish Grey Wolves, who were allegedly infiltrated by Gladio, a NATO sponsored paramilitary organization created in order to counter a potential Soviet invasion [7]. Bulgaria and Russia disputed the Italian commission's conclusions, pointing out that the Pope denied the Bulgarian connection. [8].This thesis was also central to Tom Clancy's novel "Red Rabbit", published in 2002.

en.wikipedia.org...

Not to mention the intimate relationship that developed between the two including the family of the Turk after the incident because of the kindness shown by JP2...

Which is also a good example of how love can conquer...even your would-be assassin. Maybe you should look at his example more closely.

Originally posted by mrwupy
Hopefully all will go well tomorrow.

The Pope will be there until Dec. 1...

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
It is almost like this pope WANTS to be assassinated. He didn't apologize for what he said (not that I think he should because I agree with the quote!) and will go into Turkey. That seems like suicide almost.

I don't feel like he will be killed, let's hope not though. That would be interesting to say the least.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Good relations between the government and the Church, the Muslims are still hostile , not all of them, not a majority, but enough.

Doesn't have to be a Turk either, an Iranian, Iraqi, Egyptian, any Muslim who is there and want's the Pope dead could do it.. One man was arrested for shooting at a European Embassy (forget which nation.)

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Good relations between the government and the Church, the Muslims are still hostile , not all of them, not a majority, but enough.

Doesn't have to be a Turk either, an Iranian, Iraqi, Egyptian, any Muslim who is there and want's the Pope dead could do it.. One man was arrested for shooting at a European Embassy (forget which nation.)

Well, the Turkish government is handling security, and they have a pretty big and well-funded military. Not to mention that even Catholics tried to kill JP2 so it's not even necessary for it to be a Muslim. And, for that matter, the Pope would be under threat in any country, but maybe Turkey specifically only because of their proximity to the rest of the Middle East.

Honestly, if something did happen, it wouldn't surprise me if it was from Kurdish people. Not because I have anything against the people, but because Kurds have been trying to ruin tourism and the world's image of Turkey for decades because they want their own nation. This would probably be a good chance for them to severely cripple Turkey.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 10:47 PM
link   
The pope just wants to get the Eastern Orthodox back under the control of the Roman Catholic Church, popes have been trying to do this ever since the Great Schism.

I think what happened with the Muslims was a faux-pas he didn't intend on, but since he has to be "infallible," he really couldn't change his plans.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The pope just wants to get the Eastern Orthodox back under the control of the Roman Catholic Church, popes have been trying to do this ever since the Great Schism.

I think what happened with the Muslims was a faux-pas he didn't intend on, but since he has to be "infallible," he really couldn't change his plans.

So why is he visiting the Blue Mosque?

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
So why is he visiting the Blue Mosque?

I'm not totally sure, he probably wanted to make them Catholic too at first

The main purpose of his trip was always to talk to the orthodox leaders. I don't know if the mosque visit was planned before his statement or afterwards, but I'm sure it's secondary no matter what.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Black_Fox
I could be mistaken,but wasnt there some prophecy about this pope not being around for long?And then there would be 1 left to go?

Yeah i think there was.Nostradamus said something about the 2nd pope going somewhere and getting assasinated.He also said the 3rd pope could be French.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join