It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 Common Myths About Atheists

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Madalyn Murray O'Hair is not a good example of an atheist, just like ted haggard isn't really the poster boy for evangelical christianity right now...

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
Madalyn Murray O'Hair is not a good example of an atheist, just like ted haggard isn't really the poster boy for evangelical christianity right now...

Madalyn Murray O'Hair's son became a Christian before she died.

Haggard is a good example of the temptation that man is up against. He failed the test.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 07:06 AM
link   
This same list with just a few simple changes can describe Christianity. Seems to me Atheist and Christians are more a like than they want to admit…

How about lets stop putting both sides against the middle?

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Madalyn Murray O'Hair is not a good example of an atheist,

Maybe not, but this guy is a brilliant example of an atheist:

en.wikipedia.org...

i always wonder, do atheists celebrate at christmas?

And before I get a response like there was paganism celebrations then and whatever, we are talking aout no religion whatsoever now.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Ted Haggard was/is not the leader of the Christian church. The difference is as Christians we follow God, not man. Ted Haggard is susceptible to sin just like the rest of us. It's never the man/woman but the message from God's word.

My choice for a great man of God would be Billy Graham. However, Mr. Graham is also just a human being that can and will make mistakes.

On edit: I wanted to let madness and everyone know that I mean no disrespect to anyone posting here and I know STM feels the same way.

As a Christian I want everyone to know the love of God. We all have a choice and I am glad of that. I pray for people on this site daily with the hope that hearts would be open to receive. As an imperfect person I make my share of mistakes as often as everyone else but I do my best to set a good and true example of what a Christian should be. The last thing I want is for people on the cusp to be disenchanted by my words or actions. I know I have a responsibility not only to pass a message along in a responsible manner but also to not push people away.

Be Well & God Bless!

[edit on 29-11-2006 by jbondo]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by apex

Madalyn Murray O'Hair is not a good example of an atheist,

Maybe not, but this guy is a brilliant example of an atheist:

en.wikipedia.org...

And before I get a response like there was paganism celebrations then and whatever, we are talking aout no religion whatsoever now.

apex, good example!

and, yes i celebrate christams
not because of the religous aspect, but simply to spend time with my family and friends (seeing as most of them are christians)
i remove the religion and commercial aspects of christmas, so i essentially celebrate festivus

a festivus for the rest of us!

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by jbondo

Ted Haggard was/is not the leader of the Christian church. The difference is as Christians we follow God, not man. Ted Haggard is susceptible to sin just like the rest of us. It's never the man/woman but the message from God's word.

On edit: I wanted to let madness and everyone know that I mean no disrespect to anyone posting here and I know STM feels the same way.

and Madalyn Murray O'Hair wasn't the leader of all atheists, hence the corollation i drew between the 2
atheists don't really tend to follow

and also, as an atheist i mean no disrespect to you as well

thanks for the friendliness

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
A couple more myths:

Atheists cannot be spiritual.

Atheists don't believe in life after death.

Now, while there ARE Atheists who don't have a particularly spiritual interest and there are those who don't believe in life after death, there are also those who have spiritual beliefs and are quite sure of life after death. Most times, people automatically believe that if you think there's life after death, you naturally believe in God. Not necessarily true.

Good thread.

Sure. Some do. They might get together with family, exchange gifts, have a meal or spend a few days with family and friends, eating, drinking and being merry. They might even say Merry Christmas!

[edit on 29-11-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I had just felt like putting that in there, as a spur of the moment thing. Once I was talking to someone, and they said they were an atheist, so I asked them "will you get any presents at christmas?" (or words to that sort of extent), which I think confused him a little. I don't remember his exact response, but it wasn't great.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   

hence the corollation i drew between the 2
atheists don't really tend to follow

I misread that, although I don't know how I missed it since you were quite clear. Sorry about that although I still believe my point is a valid one.

I do not view atheist as evil or bad but it is part of my job as a Christian to slip God's Word in where I can. You will not find me holding a picket sign that reads "baby killer" on it but you might catch me steering a conversation or two into an opportunity to witness.

You kind of caught me doing just that!

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by seentoomuch

I could've chosen several posts on this thread to respond to, I picked the first one that was close. Here is a link describing the life and then the death of what you worship, be sure and note what the personal criticisms were, I should know, she lived in my city and my sister knew her and I ran into her a couple of times. When I met her I had my back turned and upon feeling nauseous and the hair standing up on my neck I asked my friend who had just entered the room and he told me. I prayed for her as I was taught and a week after her disappearance I dreamed that she sneaked in the back door of a church and was now in heaven, that at the last moment, faced with death, in a very gruesome manner, she chose Christ. What would you do faced with the same? Be sure and read the description of her death, maybe then, her life and death would've served some purpose. That's all I have to say.

en.wikipedia.org...'Hair

STM

[edit on 28-11-2006 by seentoomuch]

Absolutely awesome thought! I love the positive that you have. I believe this would be good testimony for a lost person. I must vote you WATS. Keep up the great work.....

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
CW, you've yet to reply to my post about how you don't believe atheists exist

you said you and all others were born with a god-shaped void, and thus we have always believed in god

i asked you what you were talking about and why you make the assumption that there is a void in my life

why have you not answered it?

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 07:29 PM
link   

I always wonder, do atheists celebrate at Christmas?

Some do some don't just like with everyone, I particularly
don't celebrate it, since I actually only celebrate Halloween,
but anyways, I do end up going somewhere half the time,
and it's celebrated around me.

That said, I have chosen to celebrate it somewhat this year,
as can be seen by my avatar.

[edit on 11/29/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConstantlyWondering
I was created with a God shaped void in my being like everybody else. Therefore I was born with the knowledge of a God. However someone had to tell me Atheist exist. I still don't believe it.

a god-shaped void?

as an atheist i feel no void in my life
in fact, it's quite the opposite
my life feels voidless
i have everything i could possibly need
both the physical needs and the emotional needs

what is this god-shaped void i supposedly have?

The void you have that causes you to seek audience with Christians like me and other posters. You are seeking spiritual answers from spiritual sources. You are submitting to God whether you realize it or not. You have been seeking God in this forum. Your void will be filled if you continue to seek God.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   

you said you and all others were born with a god-shaped void, and thus we have always believed in god

i asked you what you were talking about and why you make the assumption that there is a void in my life

why have you not answered it?

Are you ok? I am an adult and I work for a living. Your reply has been posted. If it takes me more than two hours to respond will you please occupy yourself with maybe a video game or soccer? Maybe some unfinished school work? You are making a reasonable discussion impossible with your lame insults. I only say this for your benefit. The rules are clear in this forum and you need to cool it with the insults and answer with sound debate. We at ATS deserve better than what you have offerred so far.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 05:56 AM
link   

The void you have that causes you to seek audience with Christians like me and other posters. You are seeking spiritual answers from spiritual sources. You are submitting to God whether you realize it or not. You have been seeking God in this forum. Your void will be filled if you continue to seek God.

LOL, your not serious???? So because we atheists ask you questions then automatically we are seeking your christian god???? But we ask all religious people to join in, so does that mean that we seek all gods and not just yours????

You dont have to be religious to be spiritual and I wouldnt class someone on a forum as an expert spiritual source.

I dont seek god(s) on this or any other forum, answers and truths YES.

How dare you presume that we have a void to fill, maybe you do but I sure as hell dont. We are not born religious, religion is forced upon us by family, peers, church, state, geography and many more factors. Are you trying to say that you would be christian if your were born in Afghanistan to muslim parents????? I think not !!!

G

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   

In fact everyone is an atheist when they are born. People have to first be taught the concept of god in order to believe in it.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I'm not exactly sure how I would classify myself. I do think that there may be a higher power. But on the other hand, I don't believe in the greatest fiction ever written, The Holy Bible.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud

LOL, your not serious???? So because we atheists ask you questions then automatically we are seeking your christian god???? But we ask all religious people to join in, so does that mean that we seek all gods and not just yours????

Thats about how I felt about CW's post is actually. If i ask questions about Fundamentalist or radical islam, does that mean I want to be a terrorist?

In fact everyone is an atheist when they are born. People have to first be taught the concept of god in order to believe in it.

So doesn't that make you wonder where the concept of god first came from? Going back the generations, where did the idea first come from?

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   

and, i do NOT believe in satan, i actually believe in nothing supernatural

i attribute creation to an event that is dubbed the big bang

i believe that human being could in theory create a universe such as ours, however, in practice you'd need more energy than we have contained in our own so it wouldn't work. ALSO, we don't have the technology...
but in THEORY

What do you consider 'Supernatural'?

Anything that hasn't been excepted 100% by modern science?

Other dimensions?

Life outside our solar system?

If scientists manage to create a miniture uninverse in a lab, wouldn't that then give credibility to the idea of God? Gods? Creators?

Science is constantly changing. Get ready to accept new possibilities.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join