It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 Common Myths About Atheists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   

1. Atheists hate Christians and Christianity. No, we dont. Personally, I do hate the atrocities that have been committed in the name of religion, the dishonesty of most religions, and the way that they encourage people not to think or question, and not to trust or
use their minds. But I dont dislike someone just because of their religion.

2. Most atheists started out as Christians, and stopped believing because of some bad experience with other Christians. Or maybe we simply started to question, to wonder what happened when we applied the standards of logic, reason and burden of proof to religion, as we already did to everything in our lives. Or, perhaps, we were never believers at all. It happens, you know.

3. Atheists have no sense of morality, since morality comes from God. Ah, the old without fear of hell, there would be nothing to stop people from being bloodthirsty monsters argument. It may come as a surprise to most Christians, but there are reasons for being good other than fear of punishment - which isnt really a reason, anyway, and only shows Christians in a very bad light. Reasons like human empathy, genuine feelings for others, and, most importantly, rational principles. Behaving yourself just because daddy will spank you otherwise does not make you a nice child.

4. Atheists are a unified group, like a church. Are we? I must have missed the memo, then.
If anything, Id say atheists are more diverse than Christians, because were less sheep-like, and dont accept things on faith, or from authority.

5. Atheists actually know, deep inside, that theres a God, as thats perfectly obvious; they are simply too proud and arrogant to admit the existence of something greater than themselves. Not exactly. You see, the existence of a god is only obvious if youve been brainwashed (either by others, or by your own irrationality) into believing it. We are truly convinced that theres no god, and are not in denial. Really. Im serious.

6. Atheists dont really know anything about Christianity. Again, it depends. Some certainly know more than others. However, religion is so ubiquitous that, like it or not, weve all had varying degrees of contact with it, with its teachings, and with believers. Besides, a lot of atheists are naturally curious. I, myself, have read the Christian Bible - more than once, in fact. Now, dear believer, ask yourself how many atheist books, magazines or essays you have read. Oh, I forgot, theyre all the work of Satan.

10 more at the source

Source

i just wanted to bring this up for discussion
and maybe some of my fellow atheists out there could throw out some more suggestions

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 03:49 PM
link   
This is a good list, and tackles many common misrepresentations on Athiesm. Thanks for posting them, and denying ignorance.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I don't believe in Atheists therefore they don't exist.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I always wondered why atheists don't believe in higher power.. is it because they do not feel it? or because they do not want to believe in it? either way it is their right and good luck to them.

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I tried to be atheist

i135.photobucket.com...

But look at this and tell me there is no god?

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
One interesting myth about atheists is that they're morally corrupt and unable to abide by the law. In fact, there are proportionally fewer atheists in prison than Christians - by a surprisingly large margin.

www.holysmoke.org...

Food for thought...

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

1. Atheists hate Christians and Christianity. ... But I dont dislike someone just because of their religion.

My experience is otherwise.

"Dimwitted Dumb# in Lake Evil has been joined by another fundamentalist troll called Roger Pearse Grillfile/BozoBin/Set Phasers to "Ignore" for both these unwanted, uninvited, unwelcome, unneeded, undesirable, unacceptable Fundy
#wits..K"

That by an atheist, gratuitously, in response to a non-religious post by me to controvert various factually inaccurate statements about Mithras.

2. Most atheists started out as Christians, and stopped believing because of some bad experience with other Christians...

(I was wondering what the 'myth' was). Most atheists appear to come from a religious background, and have chosen to reject it in favour of conformity to societal values which they are unable to discuss or evaluate. My current theory is that they grew up conforming to one environment and as they became aware of the social consensus changed to conform to that. (NOT true of every atheist; but true of almost all that I meet online).

3. Atheists have no sense of morality, since morality comes from God. Ah, the old without fear of hell, there would be nothing to stop people from being bloodthirsty monsters argument.

Reflected accurately in usenet by the filthy abuse routinely used by atheists.

4. Atheists are a unified group, like a church. Are we? I must have missed the memo, then.
If anything, Id say atheists are more diverse than Christians, because were less sheep-like, and dont accept things on faith, or from authority.

Atheists are terribly monochrome -- they all live by societal values, none of them can discuss these, and they all change the subject when the issue is raised. They are desperately credulous and will believe anything, so long as it is discreditable to Christians.

5. Atheists actually know, deep inside, that theres a God, as thats perfectly obvious; they are simply too proud and arrogant to admit the existence of something greater than themselves. Not exactly. You see, the existence of a god is only obvious if youve been brainwashed

Atheists are quite able to ignore reality. Only an atheist would presume that 90% of the world's population were "brainwashed".

6. Atheists dont really know anything about Christianity. Again, it depends. Some certainly know more than others.

Agreed. Most of them have some form of religious background.

So, 5 out of 6 show relatively little self-knowledge. It's not good, is it?

All the best,

Roger Pearse

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConstantlyWondering

wow...

that's just a pointless post

trying to frame atheistic thought as "i don't believe it therefore it doesn't exist" mentality

isn't non-belief an instinct?
did you believe in god when you were born?

some atheists simply see no evidence
others simply need proof

they aren't a homogenous group

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
You have voted madnessinmysoul for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

I have bookmarked the source article. The article sums up many of my views nicely.

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by roger_pearse

1. Atheists hate Christians and Christianity. ... But I dont dislike someone just because of their religion.

My experience is otherwise.

"Dimwitted Dumb# in Lake Evil has been joined by another fundamentalist troll called Roger Pearse Grillfile/BozoBin/Set Phasers to "Ignore" for both these unwanted, uninvited, unwelcome, unneeded, undesirable, unacceptable Fundy
#wits..K"

That by an atheist, gratuitously, in response to a non-religious post by me to controvert various factually inaccurate statements about Mithras.
Maybe we just get pissed off with christians trying to shove their religious crap down our necks. The fact that virtually very christian on this forum believes something entirely different to the next makes life that bit harder for us atheists, trying to keep up with the different christian opinions.

2. Most atheists started out as Christians, and stopped believing because of some bad experience with other Christians...

(I was wondering what the 'myth' was). Most atheists appear to come from a religious background, and have chosen to reject it in favour of conformity to societal values which they are unable to discuss or evaluate. My current theory is that they grew up conforming to one environment and as they became aware of the social consensus changed to conform to that. (NOT true of every atheist; but true of almost all that I meet online).
Well meet another non conformist - I abhore virtually all non fundamental societal values - In fact I dont have high regard for the human species as a whole.

3. Atheists have no sense of morality, since morality comes from God. Ah, the old without fear of hell, there would be nothing to stop people from being bloodthirsty monsters argument.

I have to disagree, I've found quite a few religious poster's to be highly abusive concerning their beliefs.

Atheists are terribly monochrome -- they all live by societal values, none of them can discuss these, and they all change the subject when the issue is raised. They are desperately credulous and will believe anything, so long as it is discreditable to Christians.
What??????? And christians arent monochrome with their jesus and jehovah, miracles and whatever. Look, I really dont care what ANY religous person thinks, christian or otherwise, I dont believe in a god or gods. Most of your religion is based on desperately credulous and highly suspect evidence. Typical hypocrite.

5. Atheists actually know, deep inside, that theres a God, as thats perfectly obvious; they are simply too proud and arrogant to admit the existence of something greater than themselves. Not exactly. You see, the existence of a god is only obvious if youve been brainwashed

Atheists are quite able to ignore reality. Only an atheist would presume that 90% of the world's population were "brainwashed".
Some are brainwashed but most dont really care and just worship(if you could call it that) a deity for the sheer peer and family pressures infllicted on them from an early age. So yes 'Brainwashed' would be quite an accurate word.

6. Atheists dont really know anything about Christianity. Again, it depends. Some certainly know more than others.

So, 5 out of 6 show relatively little self-knowledge. It's not good, is it?

All the best,

Roger Pearse
Just as you've shown little knowledge in your attack strategy, Just dont think that we dont understand or know what we are on about. I expected more from you other than feeble retorts, usually you are more 'informed'. Im disappointed

G

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
remember everyone, there are 10 more that i didn't post on here at the original source

also, does anyone have any additions that they would like to make to the list?

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
madnessinmysoul, are you an atheist because you believe that the world is evil? Are you a believer in Satan, but not God? Would you attribute creation not to a Name or Being but to a phrase like Big Bang? Do you think that a human being has the power to create a Universe such as ours? Do you tend to be cynical and pessimistic?

I do not think that I can convert you (God is the One who converted me to God 11 years ago; I have not had a doubt since) but God Bless You anyways!!

posted on Nov, 27 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
If he doesn't believe in God, wtf would he believe in Satan?

thats like picking the gimp child in PE for basketball.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreatTech
madnessinmysoul, are you an atheist because you believe that the world is evil? Are you a believer in Satan, but not God? Would you attribute creation not to a Name or Being but to a phrase like Big Bang? Do you think that a human being has the power to create a Universe such as ours? Do you tend to be cynical and pessimistic?

I do not think that I can convert you (God is the One who converted me to God 11 years ago; I have not had a doubt since) but God Bless You anyways!!

i'm an atheist because i was born into this world not believing in anything, it's an instinct
also, the burden of proof IMO is on the theists, i have seen the supposed evidence for god but it doesn't hold up

and, i do NOT believe in satan, i actually believe in nothing supernatural

i attribute creation to an event that is dubbed the big bang

i believe that human being could in theory create a universe such as ours, however, in practice you'd need more energy than we have contained in our own so it wouldn't work. ALSO, we don't have the technology...
but in THEORY

also, i'm NOT cynical, i'm actually an idealist
nor am i pessimistic, i'm neautral leaning optimistic

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by roger_pearse

I did'nt come from a religious backround.
I dislike confomirty, I don't conform, I am my own unique
person.

Well to be fair, both sides do it, so it's not fair to label a
group one thing just because a small chunk of them do
something.

I don't live by societal values, I follow the laws for the most
part, but that's about it.

I don't believe something just because a Christian person is
against it or does'nt believe it.

Who said anything about 90% of the populace being brain-
washed, true a great deal of individuals raised in highly
fundamentalist (of many religions) are for all intensive
purposes have been brainwashed since childhood, but that
does'nt mean 90% of the population is.

Like I said, I was'nt raised religious, nor do I have any
backround in religion, though I have, just out of wanting
to be as smart as possible at everything, studied various
religions, though I'd hardly call myself a scholar.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   

wow...

that's just a pointless post

trying to frame atheistic thought as "i don't believe it therefore it doesn't exist" mentality

isn't non-belief an instinct?
did you believe in god when you were born?

some atheists simply see no evidence
others simply need proof

they aren't a homogenous group

I was created with a God shaped void in my being like everybody else. Therefore I was born with the knowledge of a God. However someone had to tell me Atheist exist. I still don't believe it.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   

1. Atheists hate Christians and Christianity. No, we dont. Personally, I do hate the atrocities that have been committed in the name of religion, the dishonesty of most religions, and the way that they encourage people not to think or question, and not to trust or
use their minds. But I dont dislike someone just because of their religion.

2. Most atheists started out as Christians, and stopped believing because of some bad experience with other Christians. Or maybe we simply started to question, to wonder what happened when we applied the standards of logic, reason and burden of proof to religion, as we already did to everything in our lives. Or, perhaps, we were never believers at all. It happens, you know.

3. Atheists have no sense of morality, since morality comes from God. Ah, the old without fear of hell, there would be nothing to stop people from being bloodthirsty monsters argument. It may come as a surprise to most Christians, but there are reasons for being good other than fear of punishment - which isnt really a reason, anyway, and only shows Christians in a very bad light. Reasons like human empathy, genuine feelings for others, and, most importantly, rational principles. Behaving yourself just because daddy will spank you otherwise does not make you a nice child.

5. Atheists actually know, deep inside, that theres a God, as thats perfectly obvious; they are simply too proud and arrogant to admit the existence of something greater than themselves. Not exactly. You see, the existence of a god is only obvious if youve been brainwashed (either by others, or by your own irrationality) into believing it. We are truly convinced that theres no god, and are not in denial. Really. Im serious.

6. Atheists dont really know anything about Christianity. Again, it depends. Some certainly know more than others. However, religion is so ubiquitous that, like it or not, weve all had varying degrees of contact with it, with its teachings, and with believers. Besides, a lot of atheists are naturally curious. I, myself, have read the Christian Bible - more than once, in fact. Now, dear believer, ask yourself how many atheist books, magazines or essays you have read. Oh, I forgot, theyre all the work of Satan.

10 more at the source

Source

i just wanted to bring this up for discussion
and maybe some of my fellow atheists out there could throw out some more suggestions

I could've chosen several posts on this thread to respond to, I picked the first one that was close. Here is a link describing the life and then the death of what you worship, be sure and note what the personal criticisms were, I should know, she lived in my city and my sister knew her and I ran into her a couple of times. When I met her I had my back turned and upon feeling nauseous and the hair standing up on my neck I asked my friend who had just entered the room and he told me. I prayed for her as I was taught and a week after her disappearance I dreamed that she sneaked in the back door of a church and was now in heaven, that at the last moment, faced with death, in a very gruesome manner, she chose Christ. What would you do faced with the same? Be sure and read the description of her death, maybe then, her life and death would've served some purpose. That's all I have to say.

en.wikipedia.org...'Hair

STM

[edit on 28-11-2006 by seentoomuch]

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I have no leader but myself.

And I certainly don't worship anyhting.

That is all I have to say to that.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I was created with a God shaped void in my being like everybody else. Therefore I was born with the knowledge of a God. However someone had to tell me Atheist exist. I still don't believe it.

a god-shaped void?

as an atheist i feel no void in my life
in fact, it's quite the opposite
my life feels voidless
i have everything i could possibly need
both the physical needs and the emotional needs

what is this god-shaped void i supposedly have?

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
I have no leader but myself.

And I certainly don't worship anyhting.

That is all I have to say to that.

You sound just like her.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join