It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is time speeding up

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I dont know if its because I am more mature but time seems to be speeding up in a sense. Its almost 2007, it seems like only the other day it was 2001.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I think the older you get, time seems to move faster. Summers as a kid used to last for an eternity. Now I am 32, the months just fly by.

[edit on 22-11-2006 by netobrev]

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Its just like
the next decade is almost near.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
And I dont quite mean time in the physical sense but the way we percieve it.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I think it's just your perspective of time speeding up, not time itself. Even if time were speeding up, if a second lasted less time it would still be a second to us, like time dilation, only the other way.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
It is true, the older you get, the faster time goes. Or at least seems to go.

I mean, it's almost Christmas again!

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AMANNAMEDQUEST
I dont know if its because I am more mature but time seems to be speeding up in a sense. Its almost 2007, it seems like only the other day it was 2001.

O.k. Now this is interesting on a few levels.

If you are asking a question about the speed of time, then you have to have a reference point to measure it by. Since all matter is affected by time then there is no point of reference by which we can measure changes in speed.

However, Your question appears to be about why our perception of time changes as we grow older.

Although this on the surface sounds a complicated question it does actually have a very simple answer.

Firstly let me explain roughly how our brains measure time.

Our brains have a mechanism for measuring time. Essentially there are a group of neurons that are located in the frontal cortex of the brain that fire at different rates into a accumulator. When we want to gauge how much time has passed, we access this accumulator for how many times the neurons have fired.

This is how we perceive the mid range time... that is the time frame measured in seconds and minutes.

Now to answer your question on why as you get older time seems to speed up.

The answer is as you get older the neurons fire at a slower rate, so you actually perceive less time to have passed than actually has. This is a natural form of cellular degradation and maybe fixed by something as easy as a Stem cell injection into the brain.

Incidentally any substance that increases activity in the brain can cause our perception of time to slow down as we are able to perceive more the higher the rate the brain operates at.

This is also very much the same way computers count time, with the exception of cellular degradation that is

Anyhow,

Hope that answers your questions.

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 22-11-2006 by Neon Haze]

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   
time could be seen as speeding up, but it is nothing but conciousness evolving. think about it, the physical world we live in is not changing, just the way we percieve it. at this very moment there will be much more goings on/events/activity than there was say 100 years ago.

e.g. south american archaeologists have the ability to date a piece of pottery just by looking at the pattern, because these ancient cultures would use the same exact pattern for hundereds of years! this is before art had evolved to the state it was in. look at the way ancient egyption art portrays people (profile perspective). they drew people like that for thousands of years because conciousness had not evolved to the place it is at the moment where everyone has their own very unique tastes!

the mayan calendar was nothing to do with the movemnt of the planets, it was a measurement of how conciousness was evolving! go to google video and seartch/watch a lecture by the late 'IAN LUNGOLD'. he explains it very well.

they maya measured time using cycles and these cycles (kinda like gears within more gears) are getting faster and faster. we are the second generation to see one cycle complete in less than a human lifetime : this is what we call the generation gap. our parents/grandparents just CANNOT think the same as we do because they conciousness is more primitive, it doesnt mean they are stupid just that they are not 'cool'.

remember your mind operates at 24 frames a second (refreshes itself). when u visualise somthing in your minds eye this is the frame rate you are seeing it at. the key is to bypass your slow '24 frames a second' anylytical mind and follow your non thinking intuition (like pro sports players do).

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This is not my idea....in fact someone else posted it on another thread just cant remember who but it made sense to me.

If all time is relative.....then for a 10 year old one year represents 10% of his/her life for a 20 year old its 5% and so on. So the older you get each year represents an every decreasing amount of you life. And that gives the illusion of time speeding up.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Neon Haze

Our brains have a mechanism for measuring time. Essentially there are a group of neurons that are located in the frontal cortex of the brain that fire at different rates into a accumulator. When we want to gauge how much time has passed, we access this accumulator for how many times the neurons have fired.

This is how we perceive the mid range time... that is the time frame measured in seconds and minutes.

[edit on 22-11-2006 by Neon Haze]

quite exotic explaination there,

me, i'm like that GEICO AD, 'caveman' on TV...
being old world, my brain measures time from past experiences,
my body knows the tasks i can reasonably accomplish in a period of time,
i am keen to look at the position of the sun, & have throughout most of my conscious time in the world,
accurately guestimated.... well, at least within ~10minutes of the clock time.

as to why it seems to speed up, i really don't know
but i'll share this thought.........

imagine tubing down a river, the flow is serene as the lanscape passes by
at a pace where you can absorb all the different things & scenes & even project into possible futures, in any number of those elements you see passing by..
(your looking upon vast horizons)

then towards the anticipated, forseeable future ending of this float-down-the-river time, (as the sun is nearing the western horizon)

Dae

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Yeah the old 'when your older, time speeds up' wash. Yes it is true, however if time is speeding up that can also be true too. My son, who was 9 at the time and is now 13, complained to me that time seems to have sped up, that the weeks were going faster. Now this was no surprise to me but a shock nonetheless.

Then one day there is a post here on ATS about a Russian discovery, and that article acted like proof to me that time isnt constant and astrological conditions can and do change the speed of time.

The experiment:
Russian Discovery Challenges Existence of ‘Absolute Time’

...summing up the results of more than three decades of investigations of anomalous statistical regularities in a wide range of physical, chemical, and biological processes, from radioactive decay to the rates of biochemical reactions.

The evidence points unambiguously to the existence of a previously unknown relationship between fluctuations in the rates of radioactive and other processes in the laboratory, and major astronomical cycles, including the day, month, and year.

Isnt the solar system warming up too?

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
But does time even exist or is it just the way the mind views reality.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
When you are 10 years old, a year is 10% of your life.

When you are 30 years old, a year is 3.33..% of your life.

The older you are the more time you have experienced and therefore the less a set time period is a percentage of your life.

Thats my explanation, which is what etshrtslr said above.

[edit on 22/11/06 by Strodyn]

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Same thread title and everything.

posted on Nov, 24 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Im finding that time seems to be moving faster almost at a mind boggling speed. Since im not one to brush things off I have thought about this alot and I have asked numerous people and they all seem to come to the same conclusions. Time is not only seemingly going faster but the more time goes on the more it seems to speed up and that is what started me thinking.

posted on Nov, 25 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Time has contracted and is dilating more than ever due to the dispersion to our Omega Point Collection's.

As our Multiverseum expand's so do our hallucination to our nth selve's experiences of real and irreal time.

Time is just as Mayan as Space, both are Invented Trajectories within Non Eclidian Space's, I can't explain it, wrote a book on it, in a Cut Up Word Salad Experiential style - enjoy.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   
it does seem like time is speeding up and years go by like months, but i just think the way of life we all have become accustomed to is stocked with more events and changes than before 9/11 and now you hardly notice that a year or two years ahve already passed

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Why is it that when we are in a situation time seems to slow down. You know, the instant before you hit your thumb with the hammer you see it coming but you cant do anything about it and it takes an eternity for the hammer to hit. Or when you are in an accident time slows down.

Is it that your brain increases the "sampling rate" at which it processes the information?
Thanks.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ultralo1
Is it that your brain increases the "sampling rate" at which it processes the information?
Thanks.

Nail on the head. Exactly what happens.

If you like, the brain cuts time up into more slices than when in rest state, you in effect process more information and so your experience of time is altered.

This is exactly the same as the ZONE many sports people attain to. Bruce lee is a perfect example of what happens if you become a master at this technique.

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Thank you Neon Haze.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join