It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UCLA Police Taser Student For Not Showing ID W/Video

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
My gut feeling is that the security was bored and wanted to hassle an arab for something to do...

but my other side of the brain says that if the university made it clear that students could be expected to produce ID on demand while on campus then they would have a legitimate case here.

At one time College and University campuses were among the most open and free environments once could spend time on. Now due to massive diversity and students from every corner of the globe the openness of freedom has led to feelings of alienation and conflict. Add events like this to the mix and the college campus will soon be like a police academy.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
WTF??? and again just for good measure...WT FREAKIN F??????

So many 'concerned' students flip out their fones to record the incident yet no one attempts to confront the pigs for continually tazer-torturing someone who chooses to stand up to them (evident from the audio)????? Are the majority so freakin spineless that they will just stand by and watch a fellow student be treated in such a way?????

The students that were present should be FREAKIN ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES!!!!!!

Indeed, only in the Ulcerous Sphincter of Arserica!!!!

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by timski
WTF??? and again just for good measure...WT FREAKIN F??????

So many 'concerned' students flip out their fones to record the incident yet no one attempts to confront the pigs for continually tazer-torturing someone who chooses to stand up to them (evident from the audio)????? Are the majority so freakin spineless that they will just stand by and watch a fellow student be treated in such a way?????

The students that were present should be FREAKIN ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES!!!!!!

Indeed, only in the Ulcerous Sphincter of Arserica!!!!

yea thats worth noting as well. But to be honest, in this case the students may have done the right thing. They gave the cops no oppertunity to justify their actions, so thats a plus.

link   
Could someone please clarify the rules for tazer use in the US and whether 'police' have to operate to the same level of law as the real police.

Are these guys trained to the same level of real police or just given a 2 week course and a uniform?

One of the things that shocks me the most about this is that they're not real cops and yet carry such weapons.

link   
I am about to graduate college and in my experiences, I think security guards at universities are typically jealous of the students. Probably even more jealous of Arab students. Arab students tend to work really hard, and they seem so successful and positive, they take care of themselves you know... I'm sure a cranky security guard with no education getting 12 bucks an hour would be really jealous.

It will always be this way unless universities can get some security that isn't going to have some inferiority complex going. Students are just going to have to learn to watch out, be very cooperative with them, and avoid situations like this. Campus may not be a safe place to be with these hooligans acting as security guards.

Also realize that these guards are rarely tested in the field. Nothing ever happens, they get an incident and all they've been doing to prepare was ride their bike around campus for the past six months. They Lacked the Poise to withstand a young college student yelling at them, lol.

I could have handled that peacefully myself, without a badge, without a uniform, without any formal security guard training, and definetly without the dang taser guys!

The security guards at my school try to isolate themselves from the students. I have never had one say hello to me even at night when nobody else is around and I walk by, even though I always acknowledge them with a nod or say Hi myself (Why, because I appreciate what they are doing, making campus safe). I have tried to talk to some as they stood in a group (trying to include them in a university event that was for a good cause), none looked at me but one, and that was to give me a hard time and basically say to F off.

I have worked alongside policemen in the past, I show the proper respect around any authority figure and have good relations with those I have been around. These security guards do not act in a way that makes sense.

True Law enforcement would never... This guy couldn't have hurt them if he wanted to. I have seen police brutality on the news. This is beyond that, this is an absolute absence of reason.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   

but my other side of the brain says that if the university made it clear that students could be expected to produce ID on demand while on campus then they would have a legitimate case here.

But you do agree that this was WAY to far? If not, they should say:

Have you're ID on you at all time and show it to everyone who ask for it or you're gonna be tasered by the nearest police officer.

Welcome to police state. Have a good day.

Maybe it's just because it's k4rupt's dad that tasered the guy that he's defending them...

[edit on 16-11-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:01 PM
link   

At one time College and University campuses were among the most open and free environments once could spend time on. Now due to massive diversity and students from every corner of the globe the openness of freedom has led to feelings of alienation and conflict. Add events like this to the mix and the college campus will soon be like a police academy.

Actually IMO it's not diversity on campus' that has led to events like these. Prior to 70's roughly, campus security didn't exist. You called the city police if you needed help. Actually nvm, I don't know where I'm going with this.

I didn't realise the student was arab. Is that positive? If so, I wouldn't mind knowing how many other students were asked for ID prior to this kid. Probably silly, but this is ATS afterall.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
In Nevada, University police, are REAL POLICE.
not rent a cops..they go through the same training as regular city , or county cops.
I'm not sure about the UCLA cops..Probably the same deal though.

they face a lot of the same problems as real cops..it wasn't that long ago, that one of our University cops was Axed to death by a non-student that was on campus property.
apparently he just wanted to know what it was like kill a cop. The cop was just sitting in his car.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by k4rupt
Because he WOULD NOT stand UP!

Maybe he could not stand up after being tasered the first time?

I don't reckon I'd feel all that great after being zapped with a device that disrupts electricial activity in the human body - SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR THAT PURPOSE. If that had of been me I probably would be dead now as I have a titanium closure in my heart (atrial septal defect). Tasers are potentially dangerous, especially in the hands of a trio of officious goons who would probably make better bouncers at a strip joint rather than lauding it over uni students. Hero material..NOT

We can't have people being tasered for minor infractions.

In Peace Always
resi

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
not rent a cops..they go through the same training as regular city , or county cops.

they face a lot of the same problems as real cops..it wasn't that long ago, that one of our University cops was Axed to death by a non-student that was on campus property.
apparently he just wanted to know what it was like kill a cop. The cop was just sitting in his car.

And that's relevant to this because...?

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Uhm...I've been hit with a taser...not by a cop but by someone who had one illegally and figured it'd be funny...

It's not really all that funny, nope nope it's not. Nor is it possible after even a few seconds jolt to stand up right away. It takes a second or ten to get yourself together.

Granted the kid picked the wrong time to argue and all he had to do was leave and then he could have approached the Dean or another council body regarding his complaint. He chose to mouth off, antagonize and basically be a dolt. The police were right to request him to leave and I'm sure they did try to convince him to go peacefully...

the kid didn't take a swing at anyone, he was resisting passively by sitting on the floor. Yes his mouth was running but hey...not a justifiable reason to taser him.

The Police were excessive and the second jolt...one can be heard screaming at the guy to stand up WHILE he's being zapped...

Made for good video though huh...

And that isn't what a taser is for. It's primary usage is to stop someone from engaging in violent or abusive behavior that may physically endanger the police, the public or the perpetrator...swearing at the police is antagonistic but not worthy of tasering.

Both parties were wrong and both could have and should have behaved more rationally.

Liberal? Democrat? Oh please...both the police and the kid were being jerks...that isn't a liberal right nor is it a democratic right.

IMO ...was really hard to watch but maintain both sides were at fault.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Because of this...

Originally posted by Strangerous
Could someone please clarify the rules for tazer use in the US and whether 'police' have to operate to the same level of law as the real police.

Are these guys trained to the same level of real police or just given a 2 week course and a uniform?

One of the things that shocks me the most about this is that they're not real cops and yet carry such weapons.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   

And that's relevant to this because...?

Because somebody asked about the status of campus police..
git yer panties out of a knot..

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nextguyinline
Because of this...

Originally posted by Strangerous

So the fact that some campus cops in Nevada are the real deal make all of this okay?

Since some campus cops hundred or so miles are the real deal and that makes it okay that sets a precident. I guess because marijuana is tolerated in Vancouver, Canada it's cool for me to walk around the streets blazing a joint. Hell... there's still slavery in certain parts of Asia, and that's only a couple thousand miles away... I guess I should get some servants.

[edit on 16-11-2006 by CuriousSkeptic]

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Rockpuck, would you taser you're kid because he didn't listen to you or was disrespectful of you? The US has change so much since 9/11, people are insane thinking it's good to taser someone because he didn't answer or comply to a police officer ten times bigger than him for a freaking ID!

Ok.

First, to the guy who posted above you.. who a.. had the AUDACITY to say police get paid great wages.. dude come on.. come back to Earth now.. yeah.. 30-40k a year to get treated like sh!#%

Someones child is completely different, if that is your mentality then you have a rather narrow minded view of this world.

The police officer was NOT tazing his own kid. He was tazing a full grown adult who did not comply with police orders. I fail to see how any officer is in the wrong here?

Before 9/11 not complying with a police officer meant you go to jail.

Before 1980's .. and the 70's, 60's 50's .. not paying attention to police means you go to jail or get a well deserved beating depending on the situation.

Would you rather this man just walk into UCLA's library?

The US is only appearing as bad as you want. If you think an officer tazing an ignorant jerk in a library for not complying with the LAW then anything involving police enforcing any law would be "against your constitution" fascist American blah blah typical BS.

I will admit the country is in the wrong direction, but nit picking stupid stories like this as evidence is completely irrelevant.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   

It takes a second or ten to get yourself together.

A second or ten? Sorry but you don't seem to have been hit by a taser. When were you tasered, in which year? With which model? Because from the many videos I have seen, people couldn't stand up before at least 30 to 60 seonds and in some cases, 10 minutes, some people die too... So if you have been tasered, they didn't tasered you in the ``good`` place... or you weight 300 lbs.

stupid stories like this
Yeah indeed a stupid story that could ended into killing the guy for a freaking ID, and not showing it is not breaking the law as some people explained it before.

[edit on 16-11-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Ok.

First, to the guy who posted above you.. who a.. had the AUDACITY to say police get paid great wages.. dude come on.. come back to Earth now.. yeah.. 30-40k a year to get treated like sh!#%

Someones child is completely different, if that is your mentality then you have a rather narrow minded view of this world.

The police officer was NOT tazing his own kid. He was tazing a full grown adult who did not comply with police orders. I fail to see how any officer is in the wrong here?

Before 9/11 not complying with a police officer meant you go to jail.

Before 1980's .. and the 70's, 60's 50's .. not paying attention to police means you go to jail or get a well deserved beating depending on the situation.

The US is only appearing as bad as you want. If you think an officer tazing an ignorant jerk in a library for not complying with the LAW then anything involving police enforcing any law would be "against your constitution" fascist American blah blah typical BS.

I will admit the country is in the wrong direction, but nit picking stupid stories like this as evidence is completely irrelevant.

nah I would rather they dragged him out, instead of tasering him 5 times and yelling at him to stand up while they do it. To me, I think thats going about it in a very abusive way.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I asked about their status as police or 'police' as I'm interested in their level of training / answerability / and the rise of corporate law enforcement generally.

Thanks for the responses so far - anyone know about the UCLA police for sure?

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

Aigh, at my university (and every university in Ohio that I have been to) the "security" is called "police" not "security" and they don't carry tasers.. they carry a standard issue 9mm glock. And a night stick.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

How dare he!!! Stupid man walking into a university library, he's lucky the cops didn't shoot him in the head for walking into a library. God knows he deserved it.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join