It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does Gay marraige effect your relationship?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Now I know there are hundreds of Gay threads going around, and someone raised an interesting question. How would gay marraige effect your relationship. Gay or straight. Now I really don't want to hear any thing about religon cause' I got an a$$ full of that. I am asking you personally how would letting two men, or two women get married effect YOUR relationship?

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ford Farmer
Now I know there are hundreds of Gay threads going aroundI am asking you personally how would letting two men, or two women get married effect YOUR relationship?

It wouldn't.

It makes no difference to me whether the two gay men/women walking down the street have a little piece of paper in their top drawer saying they are married or not. IMO it should be the gay/lesbian community's choice whether they want to allow gay marriage, but that is just moi.

[edit on 11/9/2006 by pstiffy]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
To be perfectly honest it wouldn’t affect my personal relationship, but it would affect the community my children will inherit. You see I am a Christian and I believe the Bible is God’s word. The bible outlines how we should live our lives and clearly homosexual relationships are considered a sin. No bigger or lesser a sin but indeed a sin. So asking me to legalize homosexual marriage is like asking me to legalize theft, murder or any other sin that is outlined in the bible.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Any more replies before they shut this down, or do you not want to get involved with something you can't debate.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Any more replies before they shut this down...

This thread isn't going to be closed. Please feel free to encourage the discussion.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
It would'nt, that is since I am not, nor have ever been involved in a
relationship, it would'nt effect something that's nonexistant.

Honestly, even if I was involved with someone, it still would'nt effect
it in any way.

I personally don't see the point in marriage, apart from the legal
things.

I don't intend to ever get married, if I meet a guy, or even a girl
that I like alot, than we'll just decide on how we want our relation-
ship to go, if that's us both living in the same house, or for all
intensive pruposes aving individual residences that we both live in,
than that's how it'll be.

In my opinion there's to much debate over gay marriage, in my
mind marriage is a religious ceremony, and even if we don't like it,
religions can disclude any group they like from such ceremonies.

I also think though that marriage should'nt be viewed by the govern-
ment as actually meaning anything, I think everyone should just get
civil unions, or just live how they want to.

Kinglizard,
I'm curious about something, since reading Ford's [psts,
if someone creates a thread, and later asks for it to be closed,
do you, or another staff person have to?

I'm just curious.

[edit on 11/9/2006 by iori_komei]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Gay marriage wouldn't affect me or my personal relationship, or more correctly, my lack thereof.

I do see what kinglizard is trying to say, but that ship has already sailed. Sunday shopping is legal, divorce for reasons other than adultery is legal and remarriage is legal. On the other hand, incest between father and daughter and polygamy, which appear to be A-OK within biblical terms, are no-no's.

edited to fix things.

[edit on 9-11-2006 by Duzey]

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Kinglizard,
I'm curious about something, since reading Ford's [psts,
if someone creates a thread, and later asks for it to be closed,
do you, or another staff person have to?

No friend, and moderators won't unless there is a dang good reason. If a person starts a thread, members reply and get into a discussion it would be unfair to those participating to close them out because the author no longer wanted to post or was unhappy with the responses.

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
it would create a more diverse group of other married people that i could associate with, it's not like nazis riding dinosaurs would rise to power if we allowed it

posted on Nov, 9 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Well honestly it will not affect me either, because the teachings and lessons I have given to my children has make them ready to understand society and respect other's peoples choices.

The church has not involvement in my life and my children's lives about learning tolerance and understanding because they mostly teach none.

So truly it dosen't affect me or my family.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
The bible outlines how we should live our lives and clearly homosexual relationships are considered a sin.

What about those who don't believe in the bible? What about those who don't believe in God? Why is it that you can't just live your life by the bible and raise your kids by the bible and let other people choose how to live thier lives? Why do you get to say that everyone should live life the way you (and your God) say they should?

So asking me to legalize homosexual marriage is like asking me to legalize theft, murder or any other sin that is outlined in the bible.

Homosexuality is (supposedly) specifically called out as a sin. I'm not convinced that the original Aramaic detailed homosexuality. However, there are also many "sins" in the bible that are perfectly legal today and that you yourself probably practice.

How do you justify that? How do you justify slavery being illegal when it was perfectly legal in biblical times? How do you justify shaving your sideburns (if you do)?

Also, theft and murder have victims. Who is the victim of homosexual marriage?

How specifically does gay people being allowed to marry effect your kids?

ETA: Gay marriage wouldn't effect my marriage or my life in any way.
But I think it would have a positive effect in terms of acceptance, diversity, open-mindedness and generally love.

[edit on 10-11-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
What about those who don't believe in the bible? What about those who don't believe in God?

Then they should vote as their morals, values and beliefs dictate....and I will vote as my morals, values and beliefs dictate.

Should I try to impose my values on others? YES....it's called a democracy. I will vote for things I find important and others will do the same. Mr. Diebold will count and we will find a direction for our society as dictated by the majority.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Thankfully, we're not yet at the place where we're legislating morals, and I for one hope we never get there, even though it's clear that some would prefer that this Republic do so. I certainly hope it is never legislated that not to comply with the bible or any religion will be against the law. Being legally forced to worship on Sunday, pray and not to use the Lord's name in vain... would indicate a country in far worse trouble than we are now.

Legislating the bible or religion flies in the face of Freedom of Religion and what the founding fathers wanted for this country.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The Bible helps to shape my beliefs, values and morals....it gives me direction as it does to all the faithful. I will exercise these values when I vote.

Isn't that the way it's supposed to be? You vote for what you believe to be right even if others disagree?

There are lots of reasons people vote a particular way (money, power, cultural beliefs, party lines)....religion is just one of the ways.

[edit on 10-11-2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Look, you use whatever justification you want that lets you sleep at night to vote to discriminate against a group of people. If you think the bible should shape your life, that's great. But when you use your beliefs to shape other people's lives and to justify discrimination and try to put a righteous front on it, I'm sure you know that people who reallysupport equal rights are going to balk at it.

If you honestly think Jesus would treat gay people differently than straight people, and would judge them as morally corrupt, and not deserving of the same rights as other people, then by all means, do everything you can to prevent two people who love each other from declaring their love publicly and making a legal commitment to stay together their whole lives.

I have no interest in trying to change your mind. You're obviously convinced of the 'rightness' of your moral ground.

[edit on 10-11-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Boy, You sure told me off...

I’ll respond later when you cool off as I’m busy now...

Hope you feel better...

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
damn, that was a little harsh heritic

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   

It's the language of the defeated. When a person has nothing more to say they resort to the ugliness.....Personally I find it quite immature and desperate.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm as cool as a cucumber. This is how I feel about using religion and God as a justification for man's bigotry and discrimination.

Thank you. It is harsh, I agree. We're not talking about flowers and rainbows, here.
And sometimes the harsh light of truth is necessary.

And KL, I am neither defeated nor am I trying to defeat anyone. We're having a discussion. Maybe you see it as a war or battle, but I already said I'm not interested in changing your mind. It's clear you are firmly attached to your 'rightness'.

And I believe we've both answered the original question in the negative. We agree that gay marriage doesn't affect our marriages. It's useless to argue further, especially since you perceive me as being ugly, immature and desperate, none of which is true. At the very worst, I'm blatantly (harshly) honest.

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
To bring some love and acceptance to this thread, I'll share what Rabbi Steven Garten and had to say about same-sex marriage laws in Canada.

"The Jewish community is not of one mind about the sanctity of marriage," said Garten. "However it is of one mind about one religion imposing limitations on the beliefs of the others."

Church leaders have same-sex marriage showdown

I'm thinking that Jewish people are familiar with discrimination, and possibly have a special insight on what it means to have limitations imposed upon them.

I have no problem if people can't accept gay marriage because of their religion. That's their right. I have a problem with people using religious beliefs to enshrine discrimination which is contrary to the Charter of Rights in my country. The Charter is meant to protect groups from discrimination, even when the majority thinks such discrimination is acceptable.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join