It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi gets sentance of 90 lashes for breaking the law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
A Saudi court has sentenced a gang rape victim to 90 lashes of the whip because she was alone in a car with a man to whom she was not married.

Anyone get the feeling that the gap between Islam and the West can never be closed ?

Edit: Changed the title from "Saudi gets sentance of 90 lashes for being raped!!" to one more reflective of the actual story.

Thanks Zed, what i should of entitled it was ...

" Saudi Gang Rape Victim Receives 90 Lashes "

[edit on 2-11-2006 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

[edit on 2-11-2006 by NumberCruncher]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
oh no........... I feel tourettes raising its ugly head again!!!! IM GONNA BLOW!!
!!

Shows just how blinded by hatred towards women these 'things' are.

No human would look at a rape victim (A gang rape victim at that!) and feel any thing but the deepest keenest sympathy for them and a hatred of the person / persons that committed this most horrible of crimes..

Guess that is proven wrong in the case of that stinking corrupt cesspool ...

Nope, i think islam and the west are not compatible whilst they still are in the stone age both mentally and emotionally.

90 lashes for being raped..... shhesh she should be the one doing the thousand lashes to the bastuurds that did this crime not getting lashed herself!

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Wow, that was a light sentence for being raped in Saudi Arabia. I'm not kidding. The usual sentence for a "crime" of this magnitude is death by stoning. She must be in an influential family.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:29 PM
link   
How again, are they allowed even in the UN with behavior like this?

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Ummm, what gap are you talking about?

I read you article, it said the woman was expecting a harsher sentence.
it also said 'four Saudis convicted of the rape, sentencing them to prison terms and a total of 2,230 lashes.' Whats that, 555 lashes a peice for the guys?
You title is a bit misleading as it only mentions the womans sentence.

Again I ask what is this 'gap' you speak of?
Do you expect them to think exactly like us and if they dont then what?
Are they 'thought criminals' for not thinking and acting like westerners?

When you explain to me the 'gap', then perhaps we can discuss why you want to 'close' it, because all I see in this article is a different culture attempting to maintain some set of moral standards.
I agree if you are saying it shouldnt be against the law to ride in a car with a man other than your husband, but its not our law, its theirs, and I would think that one of the very reasons for this law was to keep women from being raped.
Had she only obeyed the law she wouldnt have got raped.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
They're living likes its 1685. Literally. Why should we care? 9/11 a valid reason for you?

That's circular logic. Institutionalized Rape would be considered a crime against humanity. That is what this is.

When you explain to me the 'gap', then perhaps we can discuss why you want to 'close' it, because all I see in this article is a different culture attempting to maintain some set of moral standards.

Please explain to me the "morality" of rape.

[edit on 2-11-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 11Bravo

You are one sick and evil person. How could any sane person condone punishing a victim of a violent crime. Excuse me while I go vomit

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by InDirectViolation

You are one sick and evil person. How could any sane person condone punishing a victim of a violent crime. Excuse me while I go vomit

What? I didnt condone anything.
Is it not a fact that HAD SHE ONLY OBEYED THE LAW she would not have been raped? Is that not a fact?
And show me where I condoned anything.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
They're living likes its 1685. Literally. Why should we care? 9/11 a valid reason for you?

That's circular logic. Institutionalized Rape would be considered a crime against humanity. That is what this is.

Please explain to me the "morality" of rape.

The morality isnt in the rape, where did you get that idea? The attempt to maintain moral standards is in the law that says women shouldnt ride around with guys they arent married to.
You people act like they dont have the right to have whatever laws they want.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   
"Had she only obeyed the law she wouldnt have got raped."

OMFG.

I do not believe i am reading this. Are you for real? SHE was in the wrong? I'm utterly and totaly struck stupid by the sheer inhumanity of that remark...

Its way out of the ball park on sheer wrongness..

I don't know what else to say.....

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
You right, I don't believe that. I don't believe that a country should be able to legally oppress a group of people identified by Sex, Race, Religion, Geological Location, Physical makeup, or Nationality. They're Human, I'm Human, Human rights ought to be Universal.

You also know that the regular punishment of a crime like this is Death right? Just wanted to make sure of that.

As I've said, they're living like its 1685. Blaming the Victim instead of the Perpetrator is something our Right Wing wackos want to get back into legislation for frellin sake. I will continue to speak out against these Bible/Quran freaks for as long as I'm breathing cuz I'm not going to let it go.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I wonder if Bravo would feel the same if it was His Mother, Sister or best friend ??

I wonder .......

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Is it not a fact that HAD SHE ONLY OBEYED THE LAW she would not have been raped? Is that not a fact?

Here I'll say this to where you can see it

NO it's not a fact. *Snip

It's not a fact.

RAPE is a crime committed by the criminal....NOT THE VICTIM. Somewhere around the mid-20th century the rest of the world caught on to the fact that committing a violent crime against another human being is an act of the committer - NOT THE VICTIM.

(Mod Edit: Personal Insults)

[edit on 2-11-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Let me re-phrase that. You are making an argument in favor of the law. Now excuse me as I have to vomit again

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by D4rk Kn1ght
"Had she only obeyed the law she wouldnt have got raped."

OMFG.

I do not believe i am reading this. Are you for real? SHE was in the wrong? I'm utterly and totaly struck stupid by the sheer inhumanity of that remark...

Its way out of the ball park on sheer wrongness..

I don't know what else to say.....

Did i say She was in the wrong?
Did I?
Is is not a fact? Is the statement 'Had she only obeyed the law she wouldnt have got raped' Not a fact?
Here is ANOTHER fact for you, had she only obey the law she wouldnt be getting 90 lashes.
Why are you people wigging when somebody states a fact?

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Bravo has a point...

Too often we impose our moral judgements on others without thinking about their social context. We don't put out the effort to understand that different sociaties have different values. What seems barbaric to us may be something their people hold dear. On the other hand, we are guilty of many things they find appauling (greed, decadence, sexual indeacencey).

The fact that the rapists were punished more severly than the woman shows that they've actually become progressive. A ruling that that would have been unheard of even 10 years ago. She'd be stoned to death and the guys would have walked away.

Christianity teaches "Juge not, lest you be judged".

That said, I'm not Christian and I still find punishing the victem to be bloody twisted! Rape should be punishable by castration. With a brick. Maybe some barbed wire too.

Perty barbaric, hu?

Now bring those f#ckers over to Canada 'n let me at 'em.

[edit on 2-11-2006 by BitRaiser]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   

The fact that the rapists were punished more severly than the woman shows that they've actually become progressive. A ruling that that would have been unheard of even 10 years ago. She'd be stoned to death and the guys would have walked away.

They have a sliding scale of justice over there. It all depends on relative social status between victim and perpetrator. That's why I commented on the light sentence. I can also say that quite a few of these laws are only tolerated by the locals, they aren't loved by any means.

It's basically a 21st Century Feudal Society with a moderate Caste Structure. I lived over there for 3 years so I know what I'm talking about.
The locals are in love with American culture and while I was over there my hair gradually turned blond and everyone wanted to touch it cuz it's apparently good luck(Blond Hair Blue Eyes only applies apparently though). I fell in love with the people but despised the government. They forced me and my family to leave eventually(because I grew too old, foreign children aren't allowed to live there past a cetain age). I was a child at the time so it was only years later in adulthood that I really started to understand that society that I spent so many years in. And yes, they are among my first vivid memories.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

NO it's not a fact. *Snip
It's not a fact.

RAPE is a crime committed by the criminal....NOT THE VICTIM. Somewhere around the mid-20th century the rest of the world caught on to the fact that committing a violent crime against another human being is an act of the committer - NOT THE VICTIM.
(Mod Edit: Personal Insults)

why the name calling?
Im sick because I state the FACT, and it is a FACT no matter what you think, that had she obeyed the law that restricted her from riding in a car with any other man then her husband, she would not have been raped. Nothing you can say will change the fact that had she not been in the car, in direct violation of the law, she would not have been raped.

You folks need to calm down with your name calling and offensive behavior.

NO WHERE did I say it was her fault, NO WHERE.

[edit on 2-11-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

NO it's not a fact, you sick backward knuckle-dragging neanderthal.

I have seen people warned for less, I bet nothing happens here.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
They have a sliding scale of justice over there. It all depends on relative social status between victim and perpetrator. That's why I commented on the light sentence. I can also say that quite a few of these laws are only tolerated by the locals, they aren't loved by any means.

It's basically a 21st Century Feudal Society with a moderate Caste Structure.

Granted.

I was hoping that my comment was clearly enough stated to make people understand that I personally don't condone those laws in the slightest.

However, it's not for me (or you, or G.W.Bush) to enforce our morals on these people. If they want social change, they have to bring it themselves.

Same goes for us.
One of the core reasons that fundementalist Islamics have such a big problem with Western culture is because our capitalistic system is a celibration of greed and an abandonment of morality.

They have a point.
I don't want them coming here and forcing the issue, tho. I'll do my own work to improve MY sociaty, thank-you-very-bloody-much!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join