It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RAF Tornado Crashed @ Lincolnshire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Pilots said to have ejected safey says MOD,
more here
news.sky.com...

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Can't say I'm to suprised by this the Tornado is quite an old machine way past it's sell by date and likely worn out the British should have bought American planes which have a far better shelf life. At least the the ejection system still works though and Britain is at least showing some sense by planning to replace them with F-35's though they are still making mistakes by buying that eurofighter trash so these kinds of accidents may keep happening.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   
LMAO

The tornado is an old aircraft, but still effective. And the uk pilots have trained with it for years and know how it works and well.

Chances are this was probably a bird strike, which happens alot when you fly fast and low.

Buy american planes? yeah, because its a great time to buy a ford at the moment isnt it.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamanator
Can't say I'm to suprised by this the Tornado is quite an old machine way past it's sell by date and likely worn out the British should have bought American planes which have a far better shelf life. At least the the ejection system still works though and Britain is at least showing some sense by planning to replace them with F-35's though they are still making mistakes by buying that eurofighter trash so these kinds of accidents may keep happening.

Once again another crassly arrogant load of crap posted by Shamanator.

Seems the guy spends his whole time writing troll posts on the forums here.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
The main Priority here is that the crew, from whoever's country are safe.
We shall find out the cause in due course.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Utter crap indeed, every word

Nox

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   
this is a totally class aircraft and i have had the chance to fly in one of these myself. During my service in the Falklands 3 of us infantary blokes were given the chance to go as a passenger in a tornado. My flight lasted 90 mins and was the most intense 90 in my life so far. Flying in one of these is what made me go out and get my pilots licence when i left the forces. The mere mention of the tornado brings me some excellent memories

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Id feel safer with an raf pilot in an old tornardo than either a yank or brit in a f-35
or anything else for that matter.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Persoanlly I am just glad the crew are alive as machines can be replaced.
As for the pros & cons of the GR4, I will leave that to you Guys.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   

No air-force on this planet will fly with planes they even have the slightest doubt is un-safe.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I'm glad to hear that the crew are safe.

The crash had nothing to do with the Tornado being old, there are plenty of old aircraft buzzing about. B-52 anyone?

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Shamanator, dude why do you insist on taking the slightest opportunity to bash essentially Europe and the Eurofighter in particular? If you ask me you're taking an accident and going off on an irrational tangent.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I agree! especially as the plane that crashed was a GR4 which is not being replaced by either the Eurofighter or the F-35!

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Okay then. In your esteemed estimation, which aircraft should the poor ignorant RAF have bought instead?

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Ok I guess a few of the British are a little sentimental about the Tornado I wasn't bashing it just saying it's dated and there has been a few lost in recent wars more than any other plane I believe and yes I understand the GR4 isn't that old of an upgrade but it's still the same basic older design.

My comment on the Eurofighter was only in light of it is designed by Britain and Germany same as the Tornado and I can see them repeating the same mistakes neither has really advanced much since then. Also It's a little silly to buy them when the F-35 will be no doubt superior in all roles and missions.

Getting back on Subject though I'm glad the crew got out Britain still has a good reputation of training and professionalism it is usually only the inferior equipment drags them down in most cases but I suppose you have to make do.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Once again Shamanator opens his mouth before looking at the facts

US

F-15 - First Flight 1972, introduced to service 1976
F-16 - First Flight 1974, introduced to service 1978
F-18 - First Flight 1978, introduced to service 1983
B-52 - First Flight 1952, introduced to service 1955. (last delivery date 1962, meaning the youngest models are 44years old)
F-22 - First flight 1990, introduced to service 2005

UK

Tornado GR1 - first flight 1974 - introduced to service 1979
Tornado F-3 - first flight 1979 - introduced to service 1985
Hawk T-1 - first flight 1974 - Introduced to service 1976
Sepecat Jaguar -first flight 1968, introduced to service 1973
Nimrod - First Flight 1967, Introduced to service 1969
Eurofighter - First flight 1994, introduced to service 2003

I'd say the service dates are fairly even across the board.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 04:37 AM
link   
where did you find info that the eurofighter entered service in 2003? While the raf may have had a few prototypes and instumented aircraft the typhoon is only now entering service with the first conversion squadrons in training (seem to remember is is 29 sqn).

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperplane_uk
where did you find info that the eurofighter entered service in 2003? While the raf may have had a few prototypes and instumented aircraft the typhoon is only now entering service with the first conversion squadrons in training (seem to remember is is 29 sqn).

Depends on your definition of "service" I guess.

Operational service is different. Still, lets not split hairs shall we. The point I was making - and its still valid - is that once again Shamanator had no clue what he was taking about.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The Typhoon currently equips two training squadrons, these are nos 17 and 29, plus one operational squadron, 3sqn, the first Typhoon for the RAF's 2nd front line unit, 11sqn, was delivered last week.

There are now 85 Typhoons in service overall with the first entering service in 2003. The 11sqn aircraft I mentioned earlier is the 100th production aircraft.

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Good thing the crew made it out safely. I've always loved the Tornado as a strike platform. It is effective today, and will continue to be effective in its strike role until it is retired. I know its been around for a while, but the US military still operates F-15/16's and up until recently the F-14. As long as you can maintain the plane to flight and safety standards it should be fine, as someone mentioned earlier, when you fly low and fast the chances of a bird strike go through the roof, probably what happened. It would happen to any plane.

new topics

top topics

join