It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kennedy met with Russians - against Reagan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
But DG,

WE Were not talking about Bush?

The THREAD is NOT about Bush..

We all get that you hate the man, but this is about Kennedy and in all fairness, comparisons are irrelevant.

Semper

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I'm aware of that, but its only being done to undermine the Democrats....sheesh, what a lousy job too!

Politics is dirty and there's always someone trying to bump someone off, for personal gain, bla bla bla

You people dwell too much on the past, when the present is what's gonna kill us.

Capiche????

Who supplied Saddam with arms?

Who was buddies with the dead Osama? The Bush's?

Who was all for the tyranny of Adolph Hitler, if not for a Bush?

I could go on and on and on....

Oh yea...that's right, we're talking about Ted Kennedy here. silly me, i forgot.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Apparently it wasn't Sen. Kennedy who met with the Soviets, directly.

source
That document is a memo regarding an offer made by Sen. Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts via former Senator John Tunney, both Democrats, to the General Secretary of the Communist Party, USSR, Yuri Andropov, in 1983.

Just, not the senator himself. Because collaborating with the leadership of a foreign state to unseat an American president, by whatever means, could be seen by Americans as treasonous.

I just thought it best to point out the misleading title here.

On a side note, and perhaps a bit off-topic ...
Earlier this year he did try to rescue some fishermen trapped on a jetty by high tide? TK in a water rescue?

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
I just thought it best to point out the misleading title here.

Kennedy made the offer. I already pointed out on the first page that Sen. Tuney was also involved. But it was definately Kennedy's offer. Tuney fodder buffer or not.

We'll all be getting a good look at the book and then we can discuss Tuney's involvement with Kennedy and the KGB more closely.

edited for spelling

[edit on 10/25/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
You bring Ted Kennedy into the picture , you'd think he's running for president......but when you're desperate, anything will do, wont it

Actually YOU, dg, are the one looking desperate here.

The FACT is that Kennedy is a sitting US Senator and has been for decades. FACT is that he ran for the White House and very well could have changed US history (for the worse) if he got in.

A person doesn't have to be running for president in order for people to examine criminal and immoral behaviors in their life. Foley is a great example. Hastart, and the rest of the senate, looking the other way when Foley cruised pages is another.

Originally posted by dgtempe
You people dwell too much on the past ....

Kennedy is still in office. This isn't 'in the past'. It's a behavior, and most likely a crime, that all Americans need to be aware of. ESPECIALLY those in Massachussets who voted for that drunken traitor.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
FF,

Your forgetting here that this is not a level playing field...

It is only "fair" to bring the past up in conversations about what President Bush did in High School, or the National Guard or really anything about him is fair...

Bringing up the corruption of the Dems. no matter how recent or how far in the past is not "Fair."

Semper

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Yes, it was Kennedy's offer, FF, but it was presented to the Soviets by former Senator Tunney, Not Kennedy.

While it may have been an obvious proposal by proxy, the "Kennedy met with Soviets - against Reagan" title is Still misleading, if not outright false.

Reportedly, former Senator Tunney made 15 trips to the USSR on behalf of Kennedy and other Senators.

At one point, it seems Kennedy even proposed a direct meeting with Andropov. Interestingly enough, he also made known his desire to have Sen. Mark Hatfield (R-Ore.) join him on this trip. ? hmmm ... bipartisan support ?

Perhaps the ultimate irony to these seemingly subversive "efforts" was Andropov's death after a brief stay in office, as the meeting and intended media campaign never saw fruition.

His successor, Gorbachev, proved much more receptive to talks and relinquishing his ideals, which fit hand-in-glove with Reagan's diplomatic efforts and goals.

I certainly don't see Today being the same had Andropov lived on, nor do I feel Reagan's efforts and goals would have been as "warmly" received or achieved.

For the sake of humanity, perhaps it's best that things went the way they did.
Cold War over.

For what it's worth,
My only concern here was with the Obviously misleading title. Kennedy never met with the Soviets - against Reagan, plain and simple. Spin it that way if you like, but it never happened.

As I mentioned above, I am in No Way supportive of Chappaquiddick Ted; however, perhaps a question mark been more appropriate and accurate.

In the end, your Frequent Flier miles may vary. Semantics for some, Spin for others.

Welcome to October.

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Yes, it was Kennedy's offer, FF, but it was presented to the Soviets by former Senator Tunney, Not Kennedy.

Welcome to October.
Thank you for that!!!

I just love October!!!!!

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Sen. Benedict Amnesty will probably be re-elected in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts. Why? I've been trying to figure that out for years. He is real big on entitlements, they make up 90% of the deficit.He is a backstabbing rat without morals,who apparently,will stoop at nothing to further himself. This state is a mess because of liberals An example,remember that Brazilian Dr. arrested for illegal liposuction? It's in the news that the "owner" of the bulding,who was also charged,has been deported.Well she was'nt the "owner" she was living there on publis assistance,it was her apt.Those apts.are public housing,she was not a US citizen,but was getting section eight,and probably welfare.This is what Mass.has become under Kennedy,Kerry and the rest of the liberals.Now we have Patrick Deval running for Gov.who promises to be as bad.In state tuition and drivers license for illegals.So if your an illegal,come to Massachusetts you WILL be taken care of. If your a middle class taxpayer...Sorry!!

posted on Oct, 25 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
DG,

I think you're missing my point here.

Whether by proxy or otherwise, it WAS Kennedy who made the offer, Sen. Tunney was nothing more than the messenger. That by no means absolves Ted with regards to intent.

If you read my post and came away seeing it as an admonition or dismissal of his efforts, you are sadly mistaken.

Sorry to rain on your charade.

[edit: to add]
Did you not read this?

As I mentioned above, I am in No Way supportive of Chappaquiddick Ted; however, perhaps a question mark been more appropriate and accurate.

As I've stated numerous times, my sole concern/interest, here, was for clarity in the title ... NOT to take a "side". Tonic Teddy has garnered NO respect from me, in any way, shape or form.

Just thought I'd mention ...

[edit on 10/25/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I am the lizard king OK, not really, but I did find the text of the letter. It was up on October 24th, but unfortunately I don't frequent this forum. (I googled Paul Kengor + Kennedy + text of the letter)

For the most part, I would say that Kennedy walked a fine line, but didn't cross it. He was on the wrong side of history but he was only attempting to facilitate communication between two nations in order to influence the people's opinion on policy decisions.

What is alarming is the last paragraph, which suggests that Kennedy was prepared to sell out his party, and by implication the success of his own ideology, in the 1984 election so that he would be able to run in 1988.

Because he formally refused to partake in the election campaign of 1984, his speeches would be taken without prejudice as they are not tied to any campaign promises. Tunney remarked that the senator wants to run for president in 1988. At that time, he will be 56 and his personal problems, which could hinder his standing, will be resolved (Kennedy has just completed a divorce and plans to remarry in the near future). Taken together, Kennedy does not discount that during the 1984 campaign, the Democratic Party may officially turn to him to lead the fight against the Republicans and elect their candidate president. This would explain why he is convinced that none of the candidates today have a real chance at defeating Reagan.
(emphasis mine)

Am I misreading, or is it heavily implied that Kennedy worked to sabotage Mondale (not that Mondale needed much sabotaging) for personal gain; in other words that he was prepared to lead his party into rolling over and playing dead in front of the Reagan administration which he osstensibly thought was such a tremendous threat to world peace, just so he could be President?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join