It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In honor of Halloween: Your top 5 scariest movies ever list

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
5. A Stranger Is Watching - "Have you checked the children?"

4. Salem's Lot - That kid floating outside the window kept me up many nights.

3. Alien - Maybe not classic horror, but definitely scary.

2. Halloween - Pound for pound (budgetarily speaking) could be considered the scariest.

1. The Exorcist - Hands down the scariest.

Blair Witch fell out of my top five only because the chick in the movie was so annoying.

Peace and Happy Halloween

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
The Shining - Jack Nicholson was great, and the scene where the little boy on the trike sees the girls, and the woman in the bathtub - Daaaaammmmnnnnnn.....

Amelia - 1 part of a three part made for TV Move called Trilogy of Terror, where a little Zunie doll comes to life and terrorizes the woman.

IT - with Pennywise the clown - I have a fear of clowns.

The Excorcist - What else needs be said?

The family home video of a typical family function at my mother in laws.......

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   
1. Hellraisers 1+2- I count as 1 movie because it was really one book that was too big to fit into 2 hours.

2. Friday the 13th part 4- Not scary, but I think it was one of the first times that Jason fit into his now accepted role. Part 2 he wasn't established as undead yet, and part 3 (3D) was a bit silly for my tastes.

3. Audition (miike)- Dude, I used to have a thing for asian chicks, now I'm scared silly of them.

4. Sleepaway Camp 2- Again not scary, but very campy, and freaked me out when I went to camp in the 3rd grade.

5. Aliens- First saw it as a double feature with The Fly when I was 5 and loved every minute of it.

Originally posted by Dr Love
3. Alien - Maybe not classic horror, but definitely scary.

I disagree. It definately is a horror movie, just set in outer space. Same monster, same unwitting victims, same hero/heroin who saves the day.

Classic horror style.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   
1. Halloween - Definatley my favorite horror movie.

2. The Shinning - Almost number 1 on my list.

3. The Exorcist - Ya... spinning and pea soup.

4. Dawn Of The Dead - The original not the remake.

5. Friday The 13th Part 1 - I liked the others but this is probably my favorite of the series.

-tts

[edit on 19-10-2006 by The_Truth_Seeker]

CX

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I'm so looking forward to keeping up with this thread. I've made it my mission to watch a movie one day that scares the living crap out of me!

I mean genuinely scared, like when i was little and saw Jaws, then would'nt go upstairs to the toilet on my own as there was water in there! That sort of scared!!!

The sort of scared that you would only associate with a haunting or something.....i want to watch a scary movie!!!

Sorry but things like The Excorcist and the classic ones that crop up in scary movie polls do very little for me, they may make me jump but not leaving you bricking it.

Maybe as you get older and when you have been through certain life events, you lose the ability to so scared any more with things like films?

Looking forward to the replies though!

CX.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Aww.... I forgot Romero's dead series!!!

Lets start over

1. Hellraiser 1+2
2. Friday the 13th part 4
3. Audition
4. Night of the Living Dead (1991 remake with Tony Todd)
5. Return of the Living Dead (I know it's not Romero, but it's campier than Sleepaway Camp, and still creepy)

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
1) "The Exorcist" not as good as the book, which is the scariest book I ever read.
2) "Halloween"
3) "Alien"
4) "Blair Witch"
5) "The Haunting" the original B&W one from 1963. From Shirley Jackson's novel, "The Haunting of Hill House" An excellent read. The movie doesn't ever show a creature or any gore, but it's psychological horror at it's best.

2 thru 5 in random order.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 11:22 AM
link   
#1 Devils Rejects - Rob Zombie film... awesome and sick!
#2 Saw
#3 Evil Dead 2 - still one of my funniest too....
#4 Night Of the Living Dead (1968 version)
#5 The House That Dripped Blood (1971 version)

All are awesome and highly recommended for turning your undies a darker shade of mocha..

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Alright here we go. These are not necassarily the "best" horror movies, but rather my favorites. (In fact some of them my be considered terrible movies at best) Regardless....

1.) Halloween - The greatest horror movie of all time.
2.) It - I'm really going by the book here, the movie wasn't that scary.
3.) Pet Cemetary - Kept me up for days the first time I saw it.
4.) Silent Night Deadly Night - Gave me an eternal fear of Santas
5.) Elves - Starring Grizzley Adams. A staple of my Halloweens. It's Hillarious.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I'm sure I'll forget a few but I'll see what I can come up with off of memory.

5. Saw I & II
4. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2004)
3. Halloween
2. Scream
1. Arachnophobia

Rarely do sci-fi horror movies take to my liking, so I normally skip those. My immense fear of spiders has Arachnophobia topping my list.

posted on Oct, 19 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Halloween is my favorite time of the year!

5. The Exorcist

4. Return of the Living Dead

3. Evil Dead 2

2. Hellraiser

1. The Thing - John Carpenters remake

Happy Halloween!

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   
1. The Shining-Great movie that does not need gore to make it scary.

2. 28 Days Later-You can't go wrong with zombies.

3. American Werewolf in London-Great 80's special effects. I hate movies that use CGI animation.

4. The Exorcist-A classic

5. Evil Dead-Need I say more.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
1. Event Horizon - Awesome and rediculously scary, one of my favourite flicks...

2. Fire in the sky - I dont know if this fits the Hallowe'en topic, but to me, this is hands down the most horrifying movie i have ever seen. Saw it when i was 8 and now that I'm 20 I still get shivers thinking about it...

3. Blair Witch Project - Not much to say here...

4. Virus - I think thats what it is called, the research ship that starts making horrifying robots that kill after an alien virus comes into contact with the ship...another awesome flick.

5. The Carnosaur series - Saw them when I was young and had some horrible nightmares...

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
In decending order.

5) Nosferatu. The original vampire flick, and still the best.

4) Omen. The original. Scared the crap outta me.

3) Pit and the Pendulum. Vincent Price. Need I say more?

2) The Shining. "Here's Johnnnny..."

1) Soylent Green. Not horror exactly, but horrifying.

Honorable mention goes to "the Hills have Eyes" the original. So bad it was funny, still better than that awful remake.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
"Scariest moveis" that means movies that scared me.

5- Star Trek 5 The Final Frontier, so damn bad I almost swore off of ST.

4- Trilogy of Terror, that damn doll.

3- The Abominal Dr. Phibes.

2- It's Alive, a baby with hooks for hands kills right from the womb.

1- Jaws, didn't go into the water for 2 years.

With the exception of ST all movies 75 or earlier.

I don't scare easily.

posted on Oct, 21 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
In no particular order, as these can move up or down a bit from time to time:

The Haunting -- Never has so little scared me so much. Just those pounding noises of the other side of the door... yikes!

Alien -- There was something preternaturally scary about the design of the creature. I was 22 years old when I saw this movie, a grownup if you will, and it caused me three sleepless nights. Plus an additional two when I saw it again a couple weeks later.

The Shining -- I remember hoping and praying that those two little girls wouldn't be around the next corner of the hallway as the camera followed Danny on his Big Wheel excursions through the hotel. I believe they are the scariest things I've ever seen in a movie.

Halloween -- Pleasantly scary in a roller-coaster-sort of way. This movie had me jumping and sweating and shrieking like a little girl.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre -- What really scared me was that I laughed during the "Grandpa" scenes. This brilliant work-of-art horror film plays out like a bad dream that you can't wake up from.

Baack

[edit on 10/21/06 by Baack]

posted on Oct, 22 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
1. A Tell Tale Heart- Edgar Allen Poe is freaky when not turned into a black and white film. When I saw this it sent chills down my spine.

2. Arachnaphobia- Big time fear of spiders here too. For a week I stepped on every spider I saw, without remorse or hesitation.

3. Alien- One of the freakiest things I've seen in a long time.

4. The Forgotten- Great movie. I got more then a few chills from this one.

5. I can't think of one for this catagory. Sorry.

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
5) The Thing-scared the crap out of me as a kid. Now its one of my all time favs.
4) Jurrassic Park- while not a horror movie per say, this one agian, scared the bejesus out of me when my dad took me to see it. What can I say, I was 8 and that T-Rex chase scene was scary.
3) 28 Days Later- Very creepy idea for a movie, gave zombie flicks new life.
2) Halloween- The musical score is enough to give you the creeps.
1) The Shining- Possibly the most psychologically creepy film ever!!!

Notable metion for The Candyman, still creeps me out to this day.

[edit on 10/24/2006 by ludaChris]

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   
My favorites in no particular order:
Blair Witch Project Great classic "ghost story".
The Shinning First saw it when I was about 10, scared the crap out of me! Still a great movie.
The Exorsist Probably the scariest movie of all.
The Ring This one actually made the hair on my neck stand up a couple of times.
The Day AfterOk, not a real horror movie, but as a kid it scared the hell out of me. It's almost laughable today, though.

(Still waiting for someone to make a good adaptation of an H.P. Lovecraft story)

[edit on 06/24/10 by Katolu]

posted on Oct, 24 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Great thread, Dr Love.

I love horror movies. The ones which scare me the most are usually more disturbing than outright scary. So then:

5. ???
I don't remember what it was called. It was on late at night and was a sci-fi about a group of people investigating a mysterious structure on an alien planet. The structure seemed to be able to make their greatest fears manifest. One person was crushed by a gigantic worm, for example. In the end, it turned out that the structure was some kind of training facility for the aliens young warriors. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, let me know.

4. The Grudge
I've heard a lot of people say they hated the remake, but I thought it was great. I watched it late at night with a mate of mine. My girlfriend said that the sight of two 6'4" guys edging away from the TV with eyes as wide as dinnerplates was the funniest thing she'd ever seen.

3. Evil Dead Trilogy
Now these movies were scary. The first one was probably the most outright disturbing, since the second and third films began to settle into the dark humour the series has become famed for. The scenes where Ash is huddled alone in the cabin are just terrifying. I also loved the scenes across all three films where Ash is running and the POV shifts from the 'evil wood demon thingy' to a shot of Ash running and screaming whilst looking back over his shoulder. The thing wasn't even three feet from Ash, yet when Ash looked back, there was nothing there. Brrrr.

2. The Sixth Sense
This one just had some truly terrifying moments in it. The little boy hiding under his bed terrified of what might be on the other side, the chilling moment when Bruce Willis realises that ghosts are real, the eerie stacking of chairs (hardly original, but scary nonetheless). This movie prompted the second-highest volume of screams I have ever witnessed in a theatre (with Scream taking the cake).

And finally ...

1. The Thing
I was going to say The Exorcist, but in the end I had to go with Carpenter's alien shapeshifter. The entire mood of this movie is terrifying, from its isolated and eerie Antarctic setting, to its atmosphere of paranoia, creepy dialogue 'I hear strange noises out here' and, of course, the alien itself. A great horror movie and one I'd definitely have to be fairly drunk to watch late at night on my own.

Notable Mentions:
Candyman, Jacob's Ladder, Flatliners, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, The Wicker Man, Poltergeist, Scream, The Mothman Prophecies, Cube

<<   2 >>

join