It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is music headed???

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 11:16 PM
link   
some good metal music is making a comeback, dragonforce and avenged sevenfold. as of now avenged is my favorite band, remind me of GnR in the good ol days. and if you say avenged sold out, i will
to you

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 11:33 PM
link   
that is such a giant chaotic concept and impossible for my add brain to talk cohesively about.

good things are happening in music right now, and it's nice to see some evolution / new stuff coming out. getting some good referrals from friends can be priceless; introductions to bands you would have never caught wind of (that you still follow) etc.

like fusions of food (california / japanese, etc.) it's swirling and new genres are popping up and flowing in as the music tide rolls. reminds me of the early 90's good time for new influence.

-b

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

In the long term I think we're going to see fusion of fashions no one ever
thought would be fused, like heavy metal and techno.

I think in the next three decades we're going to see a new fusion of
neo classic (aka Beethoven etc.) and techno.

And form sof music that don't even exist yet.

we already have both of those. listen to infected mushroom ... they fuse heavy metal with edm nicely.. and as far as neo classic and edm, people already do that as well. there are plleeenty of edm versions of classical songs. and orchestra instruments are used tremendously in things like trance. lots of classical strings and lots of piano. great stuff.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by hedder

Originally posted by EvilSpallacus

Can you imagine ANY Floyd song without Gilmour's canoodling?

Yes. Piper At The Gates of Dawn is a start.

Okay, replace Gilmour in the sentence with Barrett...pick, pick, pick...:shk:

- Interstellar Overdrive
- See Emily Play
- Arnold Layne
- Several Species of Small Furry Creatures Grooving in a Cave with a Pict

...in fact, rather a lot of Meddle, Ummagamma and Atom Heart Mother

- The Great Gig in the Sky
- Wish You Were Here
- Pigs On the Wing Pts. 1 & 2
- Oh Babe
- Nobody Home
- The Trial

And many other popular favourites, readers!

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Mind Shelter roolz

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I'm a middle-aged guy, nearly fifty years old, and I've listened to a lot of music.

I agree with the OP that music in our civilization is going through a fallow period.

As some of the other posters have observed, a lot of the dross now filling the air is the result of how the music industry operates. More broadly, it is a result of the commercialization of artistic creativity, one of the more egregious manifestations of human greed and stupidity in our time.

But that's not the only reason.

Music, like all the traditional arts, is reaching the end of its tether. Everything -- or at least, everything major -- has been done. The range of unexplored territory has shrunk to almost nothing. Today's artists and musicians are reduced to ringing the changes on ideas that are already outdated, trying desperately to combine them in new ways. The result is warmed-over, rehashed, lukewarm slop. If you think rock fans have it bad, consider the predicament of jazz and 'classical' music today. There is literally nothing left to do with those musical forms.

The world has nearly run out of music.

I know this observation has been made many times before in history, always prematurely. In the past, whenever a dead end seemed to be reached, some genius always turned around and found another exit, another path to explore.

But not this time.

The sheer volume of music demanded by the mass market has exhausted the creative possibilities. We have ransacked the musical heritage of our own culture from Celtic folksong to twelve-tone serialism. We have scoured the world for inspiration -- Indian raga, Pakistani Qawwali singers, Joujouka musicians from the Atlas, Niger blues, Guinean praise singing, Chinese pi-pa music, you name it. All used up, all exhausted. Technology has been pressed into service to create new sounds, but all the oscillators and samplers in the world can't disguise the fact that there are just so many ways to put eleven notes together to make up a tune. Actually, we've even gone beyond the eleven notes -- we've tried perfect modality, quarter-tones and microtones, glissandi, the works -- we've used it up, worn it out, ain't nothing left in this whole world to care about.

Nothing, that is, but silence.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 02:50 AM
link   
CORPORATE RADIO SUCKS!!!!

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   
What Pisses me off mostly about music now a days is how its all an image more than anything. a lot of the music artists ( and i use the term very losely) only care on what they look like and what they have. Woodstock '69 is a great example. we all know how all these great muscians got together in the name of peace and put on a free concert because music is for all to enjoy. but mos importantly they did it for peace and love. No a days to ask a group of well respected artisits to put on a free concert in the name of peace or love is ludicrus. and speaking abtou love....the new artists all they do is have beefs with eachother and call eachother hoes and skanks...and show off their bling. I respect the indy artists that dont make money but make real music.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel

The thing I miss most about today's music is guitar solos.

I certainly agree with this. Heavy metal in particular used to have the obligational guitar solo in each song.

Like everyone said, you just need to know where to look.
Try some metal bands like Dream Theater, I swear you'll meet one of the greatest guitar players and solos of this generation.

Music is very abrangent nowadays, even Metal in general has many different styles, philosophies. In short, you just need to find your own favorite style and dig into it until you find it.

My recomendations for you:
Dream Theater
Pain of Salvation
Opeth
Testament
Porcupine Tree

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I rarley listen to anything post 1998... 99% of it is terrible.

I'm 36 years old and love a lot of music... but my god, enough is enough...

almost everything from mainstream radio post 1998 is nothing but repetitive lyrics and terrible beats...

Metal / Grunge... don't even get me started here... how can you call something music, when its just noise and someone screaming at the top of thier lungs into a microphone....

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Where is music headed???

Hopefully back to Seattle

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Metal / Grunge... don't even get me started here... how can you call something music, when its just noise and someone screaming at the top of thier lungs into a microphone....

That's the mainstream image of metal.
Which isn't true.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by tunin

Originally posted by elevatedone

That's the mainstream image of metal.
Which isn't true.

I disagree.... If I'm at home listening to the music channel's on my television, go past the metal channel, its almost always someone screaming...

I have XM satellite radio in my car.. tune past the metal channel, someone screaming...

now I'm talking the Heavy Metal stuff, not just hard rock...

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
If you don't like it................................

Change the station!

p.s.
Metal!!!!

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I think pop music has gone down so far, since 98. It's no wonder Justin Timberlake and Christina Aguilera, seem to have the best CDs out now. Me, personally, I want to try more Rap music, classical music, oldies music, latino dance, and world music from different cultures. Then maybe, if I feel better, I think I will try metal rock music. But I'm not really into those moods yet.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I agree with alot of you, first - Corporate radio does suck lol. and I have to agree with the person that posted the post about Dream Theatre, one of the only good bands still in the industry today. And regarding Justin Timberlake, I hate his new song 'SexyBack' he sounds like a chick, and the flow of the song is pretty awful too. Anyways keep posting!

-Jimmy-

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Metal has become a disgrace to music.

The 'metal' you see on music channels nowadays isn't metal at all.

Deep Purple = Metal

Iron Maiden = Metal

*Some ugly guy on MTV screaming about his girlfriend leaving him* = A steaming pile of donkey excrement

What is with the screaming thing anyway? What happened to all the brilliant Operatic rock singers like Ronnie James Dio and Joe Lynn Turner?

There has only been a few talented rock bands in the last 10 years.... Mostly of the the Fusion and Progressive genre.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Sorry but Iron Maiden and Deep Purple are 2 great bands, they are not screamers, have you ever heard Smoke On The Water?? I'm not sure if that is what you meant so I apologize if it wasn't.

-Jimmy-

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
My biggest thing against pop music. I won't go into details, but the record companies are now, literally controlling their best selling artists and band musicians lives through their contracts. They even hire people, to "make" the image of druggie, crazy, alcholic, "child molester" or prono-star fans as their PAs and/or "Interest Managers", just to keep them bond to their contracts. They do this and accounting, so not funny.

They do this by illegal means. We're talking fans of international pop groups and artists, and then people in LA and Hollywood wonder why people in the mid-west and other places see them like the politicans as "disconnected" from the real people. Because they end up in a "praise me to be a friend or fan" enviroment, which I've seen the affects people, some of the big labels need their butts kicks for even encouranging this kind of thing, for the effects they've done to fans over the 9 years I've seen it.

But it just makes not that interseted in them anymore, if they hire people to lie to you(the public), to lie me(long-time/former fans), to lie to new or potenial fans, and then expect someone to stand up to them about it. I can't even describe how bad these crazy people hurt me, my life, my job, everything, and they gave the wrost treatment to other fans, as all 5.

Edited for personal content, sorry.

[edit on 9/28/2006 by brokenwindows]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
What I ment was Iron Maiden and Deep Purple are TRUE (Good) metal

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join