It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too much uploading...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I got a call from my ISP today saying that last month 40 gigs of info was uploaded from my computer.

The only file sharing software that I have is Kazaa. When I am not downloading with Kazaa ( I rarely download stuff) I disconnect it.

Does anybody know how so much stuff can be uploaded from my comuter?

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Get Telus!
Rogers Cable has changed their rules for ul/dl ratio, they suck for that big time

posted on Nov, 6 2003 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I have shaw cable, they said they will cancel it if it happens again. Then I will get Telus.

posted on Nov, 7 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Does anybody on here know?

posted on Nov, 9 2003 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Just because you're not doing much downloading via Kazaa, that doesn't mean to say other people aren't doing a lot of downloading from you - which is where the reference to "uploaded from your computer" comes from.

I don't use Kazaa, as I found it was full of spyware, but is there any way of restricting the amount downloaded from your hard drive by other users?
If not, maybe something like WinMX would be more suitable - it's what I use, and I have complete control over the number of uploads/downloads, and I can throttle the bandwidth being used at any time.

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Just because you're not doing much downloading via Kazaa, that doesn't mean to say other people aren't doing a lot of downloading from you - which is where the reference to "uploaded from your computer" comes from.

Yep, this is what's happening... I remember Kazaa being full of spyware too, and I can't remember if there is a setting, but check the options to see if you can set an upload limit.... I'd follow the other advice though, and use the other service....

posted on Nov, 10 2003 @ 04:10 PM
link   
So can people still download off of my computer using Kazaa even after I disconnect?

I only allow one upload at a time and I have recently reduced my available bandwidth for uploads. I hope this does the trick.

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by greenkoolaid
So can people still download off of my computer using Kazaa even after I disconnect?

I only allow one upload at a time and I have recently reduced my available bandwidth for uploads. I hope this does the trick.

Don't use Kazaa its not worth getting caught over. Use Kazaa Light or WinMX its much much safer, trust me

posted on Nov, 11 2003 @ 07:37 AM
link   

No, but at any time you're connected.....

Just remember the one who recently had to cough up $5000 for using Kazaa....

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenkoolaid

What I have noticed with Kazaa is that even though you think you close the application, it is still running minimized. What I do is go to File menu, and select Disconnect. Then Exit the application.

You can also set the options to not allow sharing of any files or volumes. You may want to check that. And you can limit the number of simultanious uploads from your options menu.

Give that a try and see if it helps.

posted on Nov, 12 2003 @ 02:12 PM
link   
You could use Kazaa Lite ( no spyware)

or just keep your shared folder empty. Once you download something move it to another folder.

posted on Nov, 14 2003 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I figured it out. Some peer points thing that is running even when Kazaa becomes disconnected. So I disabled that now.

posted on Nov, 15 2003 @ 01:37 AM
link   
As other's have said Kazaalite is the way to go if you're gonna use it. Also you must make sure that it is shut down and not just minimized too. If any doubt just check you to see if you're connected to someone when you shouldn't be, by using netstat or something similar. I also wouldn't leave it going for too long unless you're trying to get something cause if they want to track you bad enough they still can quite easily. Take special care with the music most of all, since that is what they'll snag ya for.

40gigs is an awful lot though for one month! Even with a cable or DSL link that is a lot. Do you just have the typical 1500/256kbps speed or something else? That thing must have been running all the time to upload 40gigs in a month at 256kbps Max, plus normal browsing.

top topics

join