It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men are smarter than women, study says..

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Really?

My husband thinks he's pretty smart too. Too bad he cant cook a meal, he cant wash dishes, he cant take the garbage out, he doesnt know how to go food shopping, or how to wash and dry clothes either.

In other words, Mr Dgtempe is a nobody without me.

Perhaps it's not that he can't, but rather he leads you to believe he can't so he doesn't have too.

Oh cr@p!!! I just let out the largest male secret didn't I.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by doggmann
i can complain that the fact women have entered the workforce has changed the tax system that forces most families to have two incomes to survive.that liberation has done nothing to help the familiy at home. all forms of government and the direction of societies starts at the home. the older generations enjoyed the benefits of beening raised by their own mothers, was is there so much juvie crime nowadays? maybe because kids are not being raised by their parents. explain to me how juggling work,kids,housework,supper,husband,maintaining one's feminitiy,and trying to be the same as men at the same time, liberating!?

Feminism didn't raise the taxes, the govt did. As for the rest of your complaint, hey, here's a new idea: How about if the man stays home with the kids for a change? Back in the 50's that's what my father did, raised 2 kids, cooked, cleaned, etc. and the kids turned out fine, they don't necesarily need a mom at home, it can be a dad! Besides, there are all kinds of jobs that can be done from the home so that one or even both parents would always be at home.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by PisTonZOR
Hey guys, first post here

First off, I havn't bothered to read the whole thread, the ones that I did read were sexist and immature.

Anyway, you people should know that there are 3 OTHER types of intelligence AFAIK, and just IQ DOSN'T make Males superior. I can think of dosens of things that men are generally better at, and things that women are generally better at.

The main factor is the person being tested, at my age (14) girls are smarter than boys, but I am in the top 12% of maths / science results as them

So us people should know there are 3 OTHER types of intelligence AFAYK? You should probably mention what they are if you're just going to randomly put this in your post.

Originally posted by jlc163

Originally posted by mj13
(Sorry, I've waited for a long time to be able to say that to a group of guys.)

I have said that to a group of guys, too many times to count.

Oh, and something I keep forgetting to put in:

4.) It is a substantially larger number of women who know instinctively, during their first encounter with them, what people are psyco sexual predators, than other men do. It can be argued as a part of many things from a higher intelligence to being more in touch with their primitive side....but I vote for sheer experience.

Where are you getting this information from?

It would seem logical that a sexual predator who was advancing on a woman would be more easily detected by the predators prey (the woman) than it would be by the man wouldn't it?

[edit on 14-9-2006 by Phrankie B]

[edit on 14-9-2006 by Phrankie B]

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
I was talking about a totaly different thing, you're completly off the subject, it's caracteristics of the sex, it's not about who invented the first tool, if you look at a female hand you will see it's fingers are design different, like a lock picker's hand, fingers are also different, they are slimer , sharper, the sex it's self is a very differet not only the way it acts but also the way it influences things, biology proved that we are 2 different things, we are influenced by different things, we react different, man and woman are 2 different creatures and do have different special needs.
First of all the sexual instinct, and the way we mate and what we like is different, studies proved we react different do numeros things, every side is best at something, there is no equality.
This thing with we are the same is a fery tail provided by the feminist agenda.

[edit on 13-9-2006 by pepsi78]

2 different creatures?? a cat is still a cat, regardless of weather it's male or female, isn't it?? 2+2 still equals 3+1, right? a+b+c might equal man, and x+y+z might equal women but a+b+c=x+y+z= HUMAN!!!

and not every male is best at cars and football, and quite frankly their math might just stink!! and not every female is best at laundry, and mopping floors and picking up after your arse....and quite frankly, their parenting skills might just stink!! the a in the equation above is a variable, that just might mean anything from a to zzzz, and so is the b, the c, the x, the y and the z......a man and women can share the same variable equation...but regardless of whatever their equation is, it still equals the same thing....HUMAN. the fact that society tends to deem some equations as being more worthy as others is beside the point. the fact that it found those equations that tend to make little suzy homemaker and good mommy as less than equal was just sheer stupidity. the fact that they then proceeded to assume that equation based on sex, or race or other easily identifiable traits was just plain insane simply because it wasted human potential....and well....where could we be if all those people throughout the ages were allowed to be free to persue their interests, and develope their talents but instead were assigned their talents and abilities at birth by men based on their sex or race?

where you see the fact that their are very few women inventors in history as proof for their lack of ability, I see it as a proof of wasted potential. who knows, we could be living disease free, or flying to the stars, but the inventors were black and therefore forced to be farmers for thier masters on some southern plantation, or a women, too busy tending to her 10 kids to bring that idea to fullfillment.

by the way, greed has alot to do with why both mommy and daddy have to work their tails off to earn a living....as long as profits rule, employers will manage to find ways not to pay a living wage, and companies that deal with the basic necessities of life will find ways to increase the cost of those things....I mean it ain't like we can all boycott gas now is it?? and well, if they can't get their cheap labor from us, hey, they'll just send headhunters south of the borders and import them!!! which they are doing.

[edit on 14-9-2006 by dawnstar]

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by doggmann
the thing is, that neither men nor women are equal. both have different qualities,strengths,and weaknessess. the fact tht men have a stronger aptitude towards certain academics does not make them superior just different. the sooner women stop trying to be mens equals and start embracing their own qualities the sooner our society can go back to the way it should be. we all have roles.

And this is exactly how it is.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Pepsi, I may be a woman but at least I know how to spell and put together a paragraph that is grammatically correct.

Thanks for the insult, by the way engilsh is not my first languege, and I do not live in a country that speaks it.
I also didint mention that woman are dumber than man, but your feminist ego saw it that way.
I stated that man and woman have different qualities and each are better than the other on some things.
But of course, rush to equality, see what you obtain, I guaranty you it will make you a man

I sure dont want to become a woman so I don't need to be best at what a woman does, because I know I cant do it better than a woman, but if you want to become a george boy go ahead, there is nothing stoping you, "WE ARE EQUAL BY RIGHTS"
there is your equality.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
2 different creatures?? a cat is still a cat, regardless of weather it's male or female, isn't it?? 2+2 still equals 3+1, right? a+b+c might equal man, and x+y+z might equal women but a+b+c=x+y+z= HUMAN!!!

and not every male is best at cars and football, and quite frankly their math might just stink!! and not every female is best at laundry, and mopping floors and picking up after your arse....and quite frankly, their parenting skills might just stink!! the a in the equation above is a variable, that just might mean anything from a to zzzz, and so is the b, the c, the x, the y and the z......a man and women can share the same variable equation...but regardless of whatever their equation is, it still equals the same thing....HUMAN. the fact that society tends to deem some equations as being more worthy as others is beside the point. the fact that it found those equations that tend to make little suzy homemaker and good mommy as less than equal was just sheer stupidity. the fact that they then proceeded to assume that equation based on sex, or race or other easily identifiable traits was just plain insane simply because it wasted human potential....and well....where could we be if all those people throughout the ages were allowed to be free to persue their interests, and develope their talents but instead were assigned their talents and abilities at birth by men based on their sex or race?

where you see the fact that their are very few women inventors in history as proof for their lack of ability, I see it as a proof of wasted potential. who knows, we could be living disease free, or flying to the stars, but the inventors were black and therefore forced to be farmers for thier masters on some southern plantation, or a women, too busy tending to her 10 kids to bring that idea to fullfillment.

by the way, greed has alot to do with why both mommy and daddy have to work their tails off to earn a living....as long as profits rule, employers will manage to find ways not to pay a living wage, and companies that deal with the basic necessities of life will find ways to increase the cost of those things....I mean it ain't like we can all boycott gas now is it?? and well, if they can't get their cheap labor from us, hey, they'll just send headhunters south of the borders and import them!!! which they are doing.

[edit on 14-9-2006 by d awnstar]
uhm................................

I don’t know if your feminist ego is clouding your judgment and reading comprehension or what, but wow, way to miss the guy's point.

Thanks for throwing in the algebra equations though, that was cute.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
ain't no clouds....
hands come in all sizes....I've seen many men with long slender fingers and many women with shorter, stubbier fingers....I've known many men who were crappy at math and science, and many women who were great at them.
to say that men and women are so different that they are different creatures will only lead to one conclusion. and it's the same conclusion that one could come to if you considered blacks to be vastely different from whites...

and that conclusion is this:
although us white men wouldn't like being stuck in a house all day with ten kids to tend to day and night, although we wouldn't like being denied a role in government or a vote, although we wouldn't mind being "owned" by someone else....well, they aren't the same as us, they're different and it doesn't bother them...

it is poppycock!!

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
How much smarter? 3.63 IQ points smarter claims Dr. J. Philippe Rushton, the Andrew Dice Clay of Canadian academia.
Plus, as he has previously informed us, Asians are smarter than whites who are smarter than blacks.

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Ummm,first, let me start out by stating that I am a male. Secondly, let me just say that I think this survey or whatever it was is total garbage. All one has to do is look at a high school's A and B honor roll to know that females, at least academically, tend to be much smarter than males. The ratio is something like 3:1 or possibly 4:1 in favor of females. I mean, come on,guys...deep down you know it...women are smarter. P.S: They have proven over and over and over again that brain size has no relevance on intelligence.

[edit on 11-9-2006 by SpeakerofTruth]

Einstein had a small brain, and creditted his wife with collaborating on his theory. He then gave her his entire Nobel Prize cheque.
I was in many honors classes in highschool, and was one of the few men in them. The women outnumbered the men at least 4 to 1. As for Rushton....lol.... no comment except to say he sure loves the spotlight, doesn't he?

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 01:38 AM
link   
It's funny, as I write this an ad on top of the page says "by sixth grade, most girls lose all interest in math and science....For some simple ideas go to www.girlsgotech.org"

lol

I can't believe I'm still here trying to convince some people men are better at math and science than women. It's completely obvious to everyone, even ad makers....

downstar, you're a little confused.

BlackGuardXIII, Einstein was infinitely better at physics than his wife ever was. They went to the university together, and as hard as she tried she just couldn't do physics the way he could. She was constantly jealous that he was smarter than her and was getting so much more attention than her in the world of physics, which ultimately played a part in their breakup. This has been documented and written about very well and even aired on an episode of NOVA entitled "Einstein Revealed", where they read from Einstein’s diary where he says as much himself. Yeah he gave her credit all right, but it was more out of pity for her.

Einstein's brain was small? Wow dude, do you have any clue at all? Here I’ll quote a widely published article for you “Scientists at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ont., found that Einstein's brain was normal in its overall size and weight….”

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I have heard more than once that Einstein's brain was on the small side. Did the show you saw say anything about his corpus callosum? I recall that the size of that brain structure in his brain was quite unique. I don't know how much his wife contributed, but he used the term 'collaborate' which suggests more than just assistance. Did the show you saw mention anything about the allegations that he had physically abused her at times? That is something I have also read about them.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
You know the first time I realized the woman I was seeing was smarter than myself..was when I spent my Saturday working on her automobile brakes in order to pass inspection.

She calls up her girlfriend and goes shopping while I worked on her brakes.

Smart eh?? Dumb on my part. Really dumb. No ..stupid would be more like it.

THe next time when her alternator went out...I started to fix it for her...same scenerio. Girlfriend shows up and they go shopping. I left the auto in a state of dissassembly and went home to get my gear and spent a day at the shooting club relaxing and talking with the olde timers. I unplugged my home phone the rest of the day and turned off my cell.
The next day when she called me up...I told her it was her car ..I was not responsible for it. She was. If she wants it fixed she needs to hang with me doing the work and taking the risks. Not go shopping with her girlfriend...since her girlfriend was obviously not going to fix it for her. If she needs this car for herself and her kids...she needs to think further than the shopping experience or fix it herself.
Next day I had her passing me tools and getting the iced tea. I showed her how to save a bit of money by taking the alternator to a place which does rebuilds on site much cheaper than buying a rebuilt one at the local Auto Zone. She saved about a hundred bucks. I didnt pay for anything outside of doing some of the labor. " We" got the job done.

She has been after me for some time now to fix her auto airconditioner since I have a airconditioning certification. No thanks. She needs the car to get to work and for her kids. THe alternator is a necessity for the car..not the airconditioning. Air conditioned splendor is not a thing I owe her or her children.

I often start out slow..but I learn..quickly.

Pepsi's point about males and females being different is quite correct..as is the point about brain size..not being the deciding factor in smarts. Both good points.

As far as Academia...that is just academia..the point is what are you doing with it outside of Academia..not in classroom but in the real world. Academia is important but it is not the real world. Academia is not where real problems are addressed..solved.
This woman I seeing tried this stuff on me only one time about smarter than men.
All I have to do is tell her to solve the problem when she wants me to do it ..use the smarter than men skills...tell her to multitask it. I can follow this up with .." do you have any money?"

Mind you now...she is definitely better than me in social skills..something which holds little intrest to me...social contacts.
When I want to know how a woman thinks ..I ask her..not most men. Most men are pretty lost in this arena.
She knows how to use a telephone and telephone etiquitte much better than do I..also computer skills. To me most of these skills come under the heading of social skills or a natural extension of social thinking...of which I am not gifted.

Pepsi..I have a set of lockpicks in my back pocket and know how to use them. I have carried them with me daily for years now. I have medium sized hands.
I have also taught myself how to make them on a bench grinder...but use factory made sets for consistency.

I have read the book "The War Against Boys" by Christina Hoff Sommers and agreed with alot of what was in the book..not all but alot.

I also know that the femminist movement has lost alot of momentum in the last 5
or so years. Many of the younger women are not buying into alot of the positions the women of their mothers and grandmothers generation bought into....especially about "Abortions"

What I was told by a woman was that the science of ...sonograms/ultrasound ..where they can actually see a living fetus has changed alot of this attitude twords the abortion issue. I would have never considered this angle ..until a woman told me. Very perceptive of her.
THe abortion issue to me was always a phoney anyways. The women felt it was real but the politicians never cared anything about it. They were more intrested in the votes the issue would get them. It was to me always about the womens votes for power in high office...never about abortion. Talk about a stupid bunch of people..male and female.

I can cook..wash dishs ...clothes. ..clean house and take out the trash..not monumentally difficult things to do. I dont have much respect for males or females who cant do this or wont. I dont like piggyness in males or females.
I dont come to a woman for these things...I can do them myself.

One poster mentioned "seeing patterns" I agree. Seeing patterns is something I believe women pick up on more than men...and naturally so. Certain types of patterns. I believe this has to do with more of a awareness of social skills rather than motor skills. Seems to me women pick up on patterns in other women much faster than in men..or even the ability of men to pick up on in women. Women also tend to pick up on certain of the social patterns in men faster than do men themselves. It appears to be like a radar that works on a frequency undetectable to most men. It can see things in the dark or around corners ....patterns...of which most men are oblivious. Social patterns and how to get these patterns to work for them. I'd say that is very smart...and men ..very dumb here. Alot of different mechanism are used here by the women but nonetheless ..it is very smart....even what I would call..slick!!

ForestLady..women bashing thread..women have feelings too. YOu do know that men have feelings yes?? When I can stand it I do watch the Lifetime Channel. That is ..if I can stand a heavy dose of the "Victim Dictum" combined with male bashing.
What I have detected in this social structure is that mens feelings are more disposable and expendable than are womens feelings. Women understand this male expendability and disposability much better than men and the women are not about to clue the men into this concept. Men are mostly dumb about this.
Womens feelings are more profitable for merchandizers to cater to..as well as media programmers. Not so with males..unless its sports drivel.
I probably need to take a "lie detector test on this one." What is that other drivel which is so popular on Maury...??? Ahh... a DNA test.

I never watch sports..or listen to it on the radio. To me sports is just conditioning for the male to perform more without thinking about the actual value of his ability or ignorant willingness to perform. So many women just give their men the clue and cue...the play to carry out and the dummy without thinking it through goes for the touchdown. Especially in a multitasking world. Talk about a stupid bunch of men. Women understand this pattern better than men. Much better. How sports conditioning will benefit them....the women.
My good friend actually told me that a woman he married actually complained that he didnt watch sports just like me. She couldnt get him to carry out her plays ...the plays on which she wanted to score touchdowns . Obviously the marriage didnt last long.
He was not trainable.

I hate math...always have...but I have over time been forced into making friends with it. I recognize the importance of math as it is a type of language...with definite rules of grammer and expression. No doubt about the importance of math in this world.

Oh and I dont think women mature faster than men..not hardly. To me social maturity is what passes for maturity in a great many women. Not all but many.
To me social expectations and roles is what passes for maturity. This often means appearences ..not real maturity. Women understand this difference.many men do not ...at least not for a long time. Why is this in men...because it is not important to them...at first. Talk about stupid...the men I mean.

Thanks to all for thier posts.
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Really?

My husband thinks he's pretty smart too. Too bad he cant cook a meal, he cant wash dishes, he cant take the garbage out, he doesnt know how to go food shopping, or how to wash and dry clothes either.

mine's the same way, except he can do everything yours can't do,....but mine just doesn't do it unless I'm sick or not feeling well,
, but when he does........... he only does it, one thing at a time and it takes forever, whereas I do it all at the same time which has me moving in different directions
, but I agree with you dgtempe mine would be lost without me too

Men's heads are bigger but their brains are slower in thinking and doing, I think their that way because when they are doing something they are "focused" on what their doing with that 1 thing, whereas us women can multi-task things we do at one time,............ hell when we go to bed our minds are still making a checklist of things needing done the next day

In other words............. a man goes to work, comes home, relaxes, playing with kids,reading the paper, watch tv, or whatever,....... where as a woman who does or doesn't have a job outside the home, still has to clean the house,wash clothes,dishes,cooks, and takes care of the kids. A woman works from the time she gets up out of bed,... until she goes to bed at night and then our minds are still at work.

My hubby tries to "over-talk" me (when he KNOWS I'm right in what I'm saying at the time) just to make hisself look and feel smarter than me but it doesn't work out his way,.......... in the end

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by nanna_of_6

Really?

mine's the same way, except he can do everything yours can't do,....but mine just doesn't do it unless I'm sick or not feeling well,
, but when he does........... he only does it, one thing at a time and it takes forever, whereas I do it all at the same time which has me moving in different directions
, but I agree with you dgtempe mine would be lost without me too

Woah, while I am the first one to make Y-chrome comments (derogatory, but jokingly) I see now it is totally time to back off DH. I must be very lucky. Though I still believe that he his not as "smart" as me, I have to give him credit where credit is due. He may fall into the category of not doing it "right" all the time by my perceptions and definately is didstracted by sports and other Y-chrome deficiences
, he is there for me, totally able to pick up the slack when my condition prevents me from staying on top of things, without a complaint ever. From food shopping, to laundry, to feeding me when I would otherwise not bother to eat cause I am just too tired to care, I see now he is a gem amoung men. I even have to say that though he is sometimes annoyed when I am right about things I would expect him to know otherwise about, it's probably a small price to pay. It's also fairly obvious he has never shown any signs of intimidation over the fact that I am smarter than him (but maybe that's becuase he just doesn't admit it deep down inside).

No, I definately got a good one, and though he has admitted his dependance on me, I don't know what I would do without him. I must be one of the lucky ones and am fully aware that even though I take on the world, it's doubtful that anyone else would take on me.

I guess it doesn't mater who is smarter, only that in a relationship, it works, especially when this can be a major stumbling block if the balance is not equal.

ALL HAIL MY DH!

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Let science sort it out
www.bygpub.com...

This basic anatomical difference, by itself, leads to rather strong differences in priorities between men and women. In addition, men and women clearly have different programming in other parts of their brains. For example, men are much more aggressive, in general, than women, while women tend to be much more nurturing. Men are more individualistic, while women are more social. Men tend to rely more on rational thought, while women rely more on feelings. These observations are generalizations, or course, but they are fairly obvious. You can see these tendencies in children at play. Girls play with dolls and work with each other socially, while boys wage mock wars with one another. Neither mode is "better" than the other. They are simply different, and they have their own places. For example, you cannot deal socially with a wild tiger who is attacking your village, so an aggressive approach works better. On the other hand, an aggressive approach does not work at all with children.

When are ladys going to get it? it's not about who is best , it's about difference, we are different.
For example I will never be the best at what a mother does, and a woman will never be best at what a father does, it's what we are by name, by design.

[edit on 15-9-2006 by pepsi78]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I have no problem with the idea that men and women's brains are different. I do believe that. But that is an entirely different thing than believing that women are dumber than men.
Guys, how do you think a woman feels when she is told by a man that she's dumber than him? That's what I meant when I said women have feelings, too. But, some of the men on here seem to think that feelings are not important so I guess they think they don't need to be sensitive to other's feelings.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
[edit on 15-9-2006 by orangetom1999]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
[edit on 15-9-2006 by orangetom1999]

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 01:15 PM
link   
orangetom is disproving the men are smarter theory with that post.

posted on Sep, 15 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
You posted:

"That's what I meant when I said women have feelings, too. But, some of the men on here seem to think that feelings are not important so I guess they think they don't need to be sensitive to other's feelings. "

I agree ...feelings are important. THat is why I spent such a large amount of time explaining the concept of Male Disposability and Expendability. This is a topic arena for which most men are unable to vocalize. Way to dumb. THey just havent got it. THe woman of whom I spoke of had no consideration of my "feelings " while she was living "her life" to its fullest potential on my skills. This among women would be called being a "doormat." THis is way beyond the reasoning power/potential of the sports educated male. It is obviously beyond the ability of the stereotyping woman.

You and many other women tend to take something for granted without ever thinking it through in what people call ..stereotyping. Males often in thier work or occupations must rein in thier feelings in order to bring home the moneys. They dont often work in conditions which lend themselves to such "Feelings."
This means that it is quite a transition to coming home and then ...express feelings suitable to a womans clues and cues..to perform for her and children. If many men..dont rein in thier feelings on the job they will be hurt or hurt others. THey must dicipline their feelings. This concept is never explained by males or females in attempting to justify what each think they deserve out of life.

Many women in the work force have come to recognize this about the responsibilitys of not being to live fully to ones "feelings"....by not having this option due to work responsibilities outside of the home. THen they come home to family/children and have to switch roles...to feelings. This raises chaos with many of them over a long period of time. Given the "Option" many women now days verses thier mothers and grandmothers times are opting to stay home with their familys rather than go out into the work force. This is not a piece of information for which the womens groups are wont to make public....but you can see it if you look around you. However ..this recognition is mostly applied to the women themselves and their "feelings" not to the men in their lives. This is a significant difference and one not often made public.

One more thing ..of which most men are very ignorantly oblivious...

Women dont want a sensitive man....they want a man who is sensitive to them. There is a important difference. Women do not want a man who will be competition for them in the sensitive feelings arena. They want a man who recognizes/supports their feelings. Merchandizers are heavy on the trail of what this means pyschologically and economically in the marketplace.
Once again this is way to deep for the sports illustrated conditioned male. Once again here..male disposability and expendabilty.

THanks,
Orangetom

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join