It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland to begin Whalemeat trade. *Help stop this*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 05:06 PM
link   
If we get together maybe we can help put a stop to this! Have we not moved on as a civilised human race where we can live without killing Whales? Before I go on look at this....

news.bbc.co.uk...

I wouldnt mind so much if these governments didnt blatantly lie and pretend its for scientific purposes when its plain as day where the meat goes! And dont get me started on the Japanese!

E-mail the Icelandic Ministry for the Environment here... [email protected]

and the Japanese here.... www.voice.maff.go.jp...

Not too sure about the Icelandic but dont hold your breath for the Jap's.

Thanks
McP.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing this to the attention of ATS members this type of behaviour sickens me.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I hear it tastes like chicken!

Looks like Iceland's answer to a well known southern-fried chicken joint = KFW

Is it ME or do WE as a society WHOLE seem to be REgressing at times?

WTF is NEXT? Open season on Bald Eagles?

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I do not see what all the fuss is about eating fish is healthy and everyone should eat it. And if you have to kill an animal for meat surely it makes sense to kill the biggest animals as in the long run it's kinder as less animals have to be butchered for equivelient meat.

Whats kinder killing 1 whale or killing 10,000 chickens.

I say kill the whales then we can start on hippos elephant's etc we can clone them back later if needs be .

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 05:44 PM
link   
i guess you dont know much about iceland and its people. if theres a race of people on earth who care and protect their environment, its the icelanders.

i know this because i spent a lot of time with icelanders, have many icelandic friends and also travelled around the country years ago.

i bet you didnt know that they use up every single bit of what they catch - nothing is wasted. they smoke it, dry it, bury it underground for 6 months (but the less said about that the better) and they are totally serious about protecting their fishing industry and even had a 'war' of sorts many years ago with the uk over their fishing waters, because they knew if they didnt keep control of the waters, they would soon be over-fished and the fish population decimated, rather than controlled sensibly. for an island of approx 1/4 of a million people who rely on food from the sea, that would be a catastrophic disaster that they will never tolerate.

one of my friends once told me that he was the first generation of icelanders that hadnt had to go out in the winter and catch their own food to survive.

theres a joke there which goes... what do you do if you get lost in an icelandic forest..... the answer = stand up! you see they dont have trees there and its really difficult to grow any food there as most of the land is either glacier or volcanic. it has europes only 'true' desert in the middle - ie NOTHING grows there. they dont call the lake in the middle viti (hell) for nothing!

fishing is their life, and up until recently and the advent of tourism, it was their only income.

i could go on and on about this subject, but sadly i think it would be a waste of typing as you have already judged and condemmed them. funny thing is that i used to think like you years ago - omg - they kill whales!!!! what monsters!!! but that was before i ever met the icelanders, discussed this subject with them and realised what an amazing race of people they really are.

perhaps you might go visit there sometime and see exactly how much they DO care for their environment and their fishing.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
i guess you dont know much about iceland and its people.

i bet you didnt know that they use up every single bit of what they catch - nothing is wasted. they smoke it....

DANG! Of ALL the things I've smoked in my life, I can HONESTLY say I've NEVER even CONSIDERED smoking whale! Do they LIKE it?

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by snoochies

i bet you didnt know that they use up every single bit of what they catch - nothing is wasted. they smoke it....

DANG! Of ALL the things I've smoked in my life, I can HONESTLY say I've NEVER even CONSIDERED smoking whale! Do they LIKE it?

Smoking is to preserve the meat so it keeps longer but I'm sure you probably already knew that.

To be honest i don't see a big deal here either as long as they keep to their own waters they can do what they like.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teknikal

Smoking is to preserve the meat so it keeps longer but I'm sure you probably already knew that.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....THAT kind of 'smoking'!.... MY bad.

I'll stick to beef jerky meanwhile...And the other 'smoke-ables' typically frowned upon. heh heh heh.

Spelling correction

[edit on 9-9-2006 by snoochies]

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 06:10 PM
link   

why is it that the ex-herring addicts always have the worst jokes? all that smackeral must have affected their brains! they all carp on about paying cod for their fix. honestly, its sole-destroying! change the tuna will ya?

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I hear it tastes like chicken!

Looks like Iceland's answer to a well known southern-fried chicken joint = KFW

Is it ME or do WE as a society WHOLE seem to be REgressing at times?

WTF is NEXT? Open season on Bald Eagles?
Actually, down here, within about 20 years, (coastal Louisiana), we're going to have an issue with having too many Bald Eagles, just like we're getting too many other hunting birds, too many Gators, etc. Right now, it's not too bad because the whole of Terrebonne Parish is a bird preserve, with limited hunting on certain species, like ducks. Let the Eagles eat what we can't kill, it will keep their numbers down. (Some species are nothing but a nusiance, down here.) Anyway, when it does get to that point, either the Eagles will redistribute themselves, or we will move them out. With the way their comming back, we will eventually wind up killing them for trophies. I don't think they're really all that endangered anymore, irrelevant what list they are on.

top topics

join