It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does this count?(Cobra)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I'm posting this everywhere. I've been laughing for the past 30 minutes at people who thought that this plane couldn't do the Cobra. It made it look easy and this isn't even the official demo and there's still more to come.

No yaw instability like a certain other airplane either.

Cobra clip

[edit on 3-9-2006 by JFrazier]

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JFrazier
I'm posting this everywhere. I've been laughing for the past 30 minutes at people who thought that this plane couldn't do the Cobra. It made it look easy and this isn't even the official demo and there's still more to come.

Cobra clip

Do you have a link?which plane? cobra?

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by kuhl

You shall see. The link is up now.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by kuhl

You shall see. The link is up now.

Sorry TY for link

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Having seen this done several times by the F-22 (Langley Airshow, did a great one. Did a 90 degree bank left turn, slowed down, and used the rudder to spin it inot a 45 degree nose-up Cobra. Thing of beauty. Even for the Raptor), I've been laughin for a long time. But I still say the Russian jets do it with more style.

BTW- Could you tell me what you mean by the yaw instability? I think I get the idea, but just in case I don't...

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0
BTW- Could you tell me what you mean by the yaw instability? I think I get the idea, but just in case I don't...

The Flanker exhbits yaw when in very high AoA situations. . Here's a video. Watch the wings rock from side to side as it comes out of the Cobra. I'll try to find the explanation but it has something to do with the Flanker's aerodynamics.

video

"Now, as to the Su27 doing a 90 or greater AoA...can it hold there? Obviously not. It has nothing to do with vortex dynamics because even at that AoA, it's not vortex dynamics it's a condition similar to vonKarman sheding vortices....which you actually don't want because it's creates serious instabilities (notice the yawing of the Su27 doing a Cobra). So what is it then? It's simply a dynamic manuever that even propeller R/C aicraft have routinely performed for a very long time. So why can the Su27 do it to such high AoA even without TVC? Because a little physics call moment of inertia. Why Su27 not Mig29? Because it has a seriously long nose...no joking, it's just physics."

So basically the Flanker is able to perform the Cobra and it derivatives because of the momentum of its long nose. Pitching that nose up at high rates of speed allows the body to flip itself around the sky. The lifting body design probably helps too.

[edit on 4-9-2006 by JFrazier]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 12:28 AM
link   
that is one sexy plane!

im curious if this move is all for show or does it have dogfight purposes , as if the raptor will ever be in a dogfight.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Indeed it is a cobra performed by an F-22. I've seen it do the same trick in an other thread by seekerof if I remember correctly.

[edit on 4-9-2006 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Who are willing to tell me how can I watch this vedio?

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Emile why cant you view the video? Just click on the first link provided and the video should start playing.

But Here are a few screenshots from the video though.

[edit on 4-9-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Please don't post video like that, because Beijing has blocked many google functions.

Google Video isn't available in your country

What a craven, weak govenment it is!

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 12:30 AM
link   
F-22 Cobra

Hey Emile try this link instead, I downloaded the video on hosted it on a different website.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Thanks for you take trouble to do all of these for me, but it seem to be only www.youtube.com... has not be blocked to my country.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Ok Emile lets give this thing one last try, I already had an account on YouTube so I uploaded the video there, it can be viewed at the link below. Try it again.

Link

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Why is this a so big deal? I'am sure that emile has seen an F-22 doa cobra, if not here then iin seekerofs thread.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Yes I have seen F-22 do Cobra maneuver before, but maybe this one is totaly new, also Cobra maneuver has different form.So I am afraid I lost any one did out of F-22.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
just found this on my computer, is this a typhoon doing a cobra?

www.sendspace.com...

[edit on 5-9-2006 by st3ve_o]

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
Why is this a so big deal? I'am sure that emile has seen an F-22 doa cobra, if not here then iin seekerofs thread.

It's just a principal, I'm against internet censorship, plus I want everyone to see the F-22 do the "Cobra".

Stevo,

I didn't see the Typhoon perform a "cobra" in that video, but I did see it do a couple of quick under 90 degree nose pull-up's.

F-22 'Kulbit' maneuver? You decide, either way looks impressive to me.

F-22 Vid

[edit on 5-9-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
F-22 'Kulbit' maneuver? You decide, either way looks impressive to me.

F-22 Vid

That would be the so called "high-alpha loop". Those loops wow the crowds more than Cobra it seems.

Here's what a pilot said:
"high alpha loops (zero knots over the top, about 140 deg/sec nose rate - like being on the end of a swing at the playground, that's what it feels like)"

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Cobra clip

Thrust vectoring and a great t/w ratio are great for partially covering up deficiencies in aerodynamics and weight distribution and can even help a less capable airframe mimic maneuvers like the cobra. However, on an airframe designed specifically for superior low speed maneuverability, the results are noticably better. More specifically, the stunt pilots appear to be able to toss around an su-35 as if it's half the size of an F-22.

The good news is that in terms of airshow stunts, we've finally caught up to what the russians were doing 20 years ago at a fraction of the cost.

[edit on 6-9-2006 by orca71]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join