It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does this count?(Cobra)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by orca71
The good news is that in terms of airshow stunts, we've finally caught up to what the russians were doing 20 years ago at a fraction of the cost.

Just a few things to add, this isn't the official F-22 demo, that should come in 08. USAF pilots are still very much limited in what they can do at air shows, not to mention our jets aren't stripped, they don't fly in air show configuration.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by orca71
Thrust vectoring and a great t/w ratio are great for partially covering up deficiencies in aerodynamics and weight distribution and can even help a less capable airframe mimic maneuvers like the cobra. However, on an airframe designed specifically for superior low speed maneuverability, the results are noticably better. More specifically, the stunt pilots appear to be able to toss around an su-35 as if it's half the size of an F-22.

The good news is that in terms of airshow stunts, we've finally caught up to what the russians were doing 20 years ago at a fraction of the cost.

What aerodynamic deficiencies does the Raptor have? I'd really like to know how it's less capable than the Flanker airframe especially when the Flanker is loaded down with gas and weapons. You do know that these displays are with a combat weapons loadout and full fuel.

Again, this is not an official demo. Don't expect pilots to fly it on the edge of the envelope like Flanker displays. That's why the Raptor looks a bit leisurely in these videos. I can tell you that the pitch rate in the above video was not the maximum.

I'm glad that we have "caught up" while including stealth, the most advanced electronic suite in a fighter ever, and supercruise all in one airframe.

[edit on 9-9-2006 by JFrazier]

<< 1   >>

join